Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Guys you were spot on. Unexpectedly poor conditions yesterday. A 2 lap course out and back with elevation and moderate headwind going out, but following wind and down hill coming back. Rain picked up from half way and we all got soaked on the last homeward stretch. 
    I held back and started with Speedy Goth, enjoying the AC/DC vibes before the start. 
    Very steady 1:29:30 to half way. Then started going through the field. Had no clue how many m60's were ahead, but I'd overtaken 4 on the 2nd lap uphill which was brutal. Powered home over the last 10k to the finish in the stadium with a 1min negative split. I didn't know until after finishing that I'd got the gold, and put 5 minutes on the guys in silver/bronze with a 2:58:30. We also got an M55 bronze for team GB. 
    Sadly Speedy Goth missed out on W45 bronze by 30 secs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - you should be able to race at ydays average pace......Newport must be flat then as 250ft isnt a lot over 20m. My 10m last wk had 250ft which i reckon cost me about a minute, so you'd get some time back over a flatter 20m route.

OO - yay, congratulations, got to be happy with being the marathon champion........"and the Gold medal goes to the runner who run with his head".....as well as his legs and engine.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, good patient racing. Paid dividends. I recall the one time they did the birmingham mara, two lads at front ran each other into the ground chasing first place. The guy in 3rd ran his race then when they both fell apart he stopped up the win. I think with shorter races you have to get into racing them but a mara not. 

Speedy sounds like she's still going well, shame re the medal. 

Tr, Newport has about 50ft of elevation gain, half what Berlin has. 

Felt OK today so got up and did my s and c session then 7.5m slow run. 65m for the week.

Up early in the morning for a 10am flight. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yay!  Well done, OO: champion!  (That should get you another mention in AW ;))  Good to see Speedy still running well.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice progressive 6 miler this morning. Weather not been brilliant, few rain showers and a lot of cloud. Looks better from tomorrow.

Had a surprise call up yesterday for the national rd relay team. I missed the Midlands due to the 20m race but in all honesty I may not have made the 12, if did I'd have been the slowest. Obviously someone cant run. Most surprisingly I've been asked to do a long leg. The nationals have a 6 and 6 split whereas Midlands has a 4/8 split and none of the fast track lads want to step up beyond 6k. 

So I've got that on the 6th then on the evening of 10th I've got Hereford 5k. First actual bespoke 5k race since 2012 and only my 2nd ever. So a few sharp blow outs in final 2 weeks of mara training. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Many congratulations OO, that's very special.   A beautifully run race and very well done on working out and keeping to your race strategy, especially when running blind of your position. Fantastic.  
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys 👍
    I'm sure the quick stuff will help you DT and many congrats on the call up 👏
    Had a little plod today on very wooden legs....
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Superb, OO, congratulations. Super impressive!
    Great news in the call up, DT. Nice recognition for all the hard work that's got you in such great shape.

Disappointed with the Fleet Half on Sunday, scored 1.29 when I thought I could get a couple of mins quicker. 
    The course was very much different to when I did it 16 years ago, very lumpy with inclines coming frequently so I was unable to really get into any flow. Hamstrings hated it.
    It ended up a poor race but a very good training session, 13 miler at 6.47 pace.

Had more shockwave thereapy Monday and hit the track in pouring rain and wind last night, which went well.
    Got a steady 10 miler at 7.12 pace in today, with the hammies feeling a tad better, despite the bashing they've had in the last few days.
    Just got to keep pushing...
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    OO, congrats on a long week of racing. What a way to finish it off winning your group of the marathon. Very impressive!! Must have felt terrific (plus that was a nice finishing time!).

DT, a huge honor to get the call. Congrats!

GD, looking pretty good the past few weeks. I agree, you had an excellent training run! ;-). Keep the upward and healthy tradgectory going. 

TR, seems you are also getting back to it. 88M is a BIG week. Hopefully the healing will continue.

I've been slammed with life so sorry for not keeping up. But lots of running going on. This month is going to be be a pretty big jump in mileage. Sitting at 255 today after about 200 to 220 range each of the past 4 months. SubLT work continuing. Being patient and we'll see if the adaptations will occur. Takes about 6-8 weeks I think for noticable (big) changes to happen.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    DT - I missed that! Many congratulations. What an honour and experience that will be. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28
    Thanks all, looking forward to it. Might try and get over early if my son has no footy, to watch the proper fast lads on early legs. I saw a Brownlee ran a crazy time in the Northern relays. 

I'll be the old man of the team. We've another lad at 41 so 7 years my junior then the rest all 20s and 30s. 

You better get those legs loosened off, oo with Boston and no doubt London pending! 

Hard luck, gdawg. I thought it looked a solid race on your part on the whole. 

9m and strides yesterday and 10 with strides today. Should post just shy of 50m this week which is fine for a holiday down week. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good for you, hope you go well.

Dawg - I found Fleet to be a tough course when i did it, folks run fast there, but you need to know the course.

OO - hope you are having an easy few days.

VT - yes, adaptations take a little while.

Would normally do 21m inc 10 mp today, but was way too tired to try for that. So 10m easy, 11m steady with a fair bit of upwind and up hill in the 11m so a decent tough run. 80m for the week, so 2 good weeks since the 10m race. One more decent week to go. Body is tired and creaking.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Vt, yes I normally find that when I come back out the other end of say mara recovery and a holiday it takes about 4 weeks to get back into a groove and another 4 before I'm feeling like I'm in shape. 

Tr, are you doing London? Keep turning the weeks over and you'll be good. 

Progressive 6m yesterday and 8m this morning with the middle part as 4m at mara pace. It's hard enough for me running any level of effort before 10am let alone off the back of all inclusive drinking which tends to kick off at 4pm with poolside beers.

6m easy tomorrow for 45m week.  
  • Options
    Hey all - thought I'd dip back in here and see how everyone's doing. Presume that the usual suspects are running London. Chandos catch up again?

Did I hear you're a doubt this year G-Dawg? I bumped into Rich at the Kingston Breakfest run a few weeks ago and he mentioned that you were uncertain about whether you'd make it.

Belated congrats to OO for some super impressive performances in Poland - medals galore!

My training for London seems to be going OK - consistent but not spectacular. With a 1:30 half at Wokingham and a 2:25 for the Kingston 20 miler, I'm hopeful of another sub-3:15. 

Managed to tick off my 100th different parkrun over the weekend - a delightfully small and hilly trail one near Caerphilly on the way to see friends on the Gower peninsula. Have also been taking the opportunity to double up a long run and trip to a new parkrun by running c. 20 miles to a parkrun and then sort of picking up the pace for 5K. Made it to Bromley last weekend and Northala Fields (near Northolt) in the pouring rain a fortnight before that. The only challenge is then leaving enough time to refuel before getting a combo of trains to get back home.

Also, our plans to move to Sheffield are gathering pace - we've had an offer accepted on a place up there, so hoping to move over the summer. I'm a naturally optimistic person so have already started to investigate local running clubs  :smile:
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to have you back Lorenzo and look forward to a meet up at Chandos as usual. I had 2 daughters at Sheffield and it's a great running scene and the Peak District a stones throw away- lots of hills of course. Look forward to hearing more.
    Great work VT- which marathon are you targeting?
    Looks like a great holiday DT, hope you didn't over indulge 😊
    Another huge week TR, no wonder you are creaking.
    My 10k was pretty poor. The legs just aren't back yet and I've picked up a cold. I tootled round in 39:20, my slowest for a few years. I am going to do a few medium length easy runs this week focused on hills for Boston. Then relax next week. Hopefully I'll be over the cold and fully fit by then 🤞

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    DT - sounds like most of my Saturday long runs.....yes London, also had a Brighton place but the wind was bound to howl if i turned up.

Lorenzo - you sound in good shape. Sheffield sounds cold to me.

OO - can't believe you tried to race a 10k already.

I see the GFA times have been tightened by 5 mins. 2.55 is pretty sharp for an under 40. I still have plenty of buffer as an m55.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    And a parkrun the day before TR 😆
    That 2:55 is gonna hit a lot of peeps....
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Lorenzo! Rich mentioned he saw you. My London decision is around how my hamstrings feel after this week. Slow progress continues. Good luck with the Sheffield move.

Had a very good track session last night in terrible conditions. 
    I extended the beginning, so the session ended up 1 mile w/up, 3 miles at 6.3x, 3 x 1600 reps (400m recs), 3 x 1k reps (200 recs) at 6.2x and bagged 10 miles for the night. Felt strong all the way, which was nice.

Thinking about ditching my final fourth 20 miler in favour of a 15 mile parkrun sandwich as I reckon the speed endurance element will be more beneficial. Any thoughts, Team?

Another round of shockwave on the hammies tomorrow and hopefully the 8th 50 mile week of the block completed by Sunday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you, Lorenzo. I don't know a great deal about Sheffield. Is your work transferable? 

Gdawg, hopefully you'll get through the week and fancy London. Need to bag a GFA! 

As for the gfa, the reality is that the last few years those times have been needed so it saves a 1000 or so runners putting in an application and having false hope. Easier task to process many less applications as well. My 26 minutes buffer from Chester is now 21. 

What's the odds on champs getting reduced to 2.38? Each time I feel like I'm nearly there the posts move. 

8m and a sports massage yesterday then 20m this morning.  Had to shift things about to accommodate road relays Saturday then 5k race Wednesday.  15m MLR on Sunday. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 3
    Dawg - if you intend doing London then do the 20m as 10m easy, 10m mp +10%. Do the park run within 15m at one week out.

DT - good luck with that. I've done a 20m on the Saturday and then a 10k race on the weds, I ran ok but lacked a bit of zip. But you are used to sessions every few days, I'm certainly not.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Fair shout re London, TR. Even if it is a windy day the volume of people and location neannyou can hide more readily from it. 

I've raced a 10k on a Wednesday then full beans parkrun on a Saturday, though I was 10 years younger then. 

Spin and easy 7m today. Rest day tomorrow,  first one since last Monday. 

The weather forecast for Saturday afternoon is terrible for road relays with 45mph winds, which will be more pronounced in a massive open park. Imagine club tents will need to be prohibited.  It's a tough enough course as it is, without such winds! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - sounds tough, hope you go well.......yes London wont be windy as its city based. Brighton is going to be ruined by 40plus mph winds, shame for the folks rumning that one.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hadn't realised brighton was Sunday.

Forecast 23mph winds however I'd guess that on sea front that'll gust in stronger. I'd almost be inclined to bin it off if it was my big race and find something in a couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, 40 plus gusts. I did Gosport HM in similar in Nov, ruined it, so i held back with a 1.27 then ran 5 mins quicker 2 weeks later......I'd bin it too if it was an A race for me.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Weird! Was able to get out for my long run today rather than tomorrow, so went with TR's advice and bagged a 20. Had no plan for it, just started running. Legs felt the best for ages, possibly years. 7.2x pace felt straightforward, so ran the whole lot steady which averaged 7.23.
    Last time I ran that route anywhere near that pace was 2021 when it was 7.55, also on a Friday. Ran London 2 weeks later, scored 2.59. Interesting...

Had another round of shockwave yesterday, I think it's starting to kick in. Got prescribed tablets for my dry heaving on runs issue, which work a treat. Had ultrasound this week, found a gallstone, but that needs no further action.
    It's all happening!! 😃

Should bag 55 for the week and then a cliff edge taper.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - I only said 2nd 10m at 10%, not the full 20m.......well that will hopefully get you believing in yourself........strong long run and feeling better doing it.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5
    That's a pretty incredible effort to go out alone and unplanned (pace wise). Fingers crossed the only things it leaves behind are belief and a nice training effect. 

Weather forecast hasn't eased for Saturday. I think it'll be all about racing as opposed chasing a watch pace. 

I'm on leg 11 with a predicted start of 15.50. They are then doing a mass start at 4pm which is a short leg. It creates an odd situation in that I'll be coming in behind the back markers of leg 12. 

Sorted out next 4 weeks with matt to week after mara. I've forced in my 10m at 160 bpm tempo for 2 weeks today, so effectively my taper will be 9 days but cliff edge style. I think that's reasonable given I've just had a deload week so no significant accumulated fatigue. Gives me 2 more decent weeks of training. 

I see london has opted for 27th April next year. Thought they might have gone for 13th. Would have opened up opportunity to go away again at Easter as that would have been start of school hols. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - it was set for 20th which was Easter Sunday, so they moved it back a week. They have Brighton on 6th. The schools round here will have the 2 weeks before the Easter weekend.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I knew it wouldn't be on 20th due to Easter, hoped for 13th but guess the calendar with Manchester and Brighton is already full up then. Our schools here have the week either side of easter off so London will be end of hols. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    It was showing up as 20th which i thought was strange. The London folks now run Newport and Brighton so i guess they are busy in April.