Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, you're all a bit fast for me... great 10k racing from Martin and Lorenzo.

Today was my first 10k race, the Aston 10k in Derbyshire, which I did as part of my assault on my club's previously all-male road racing grand prix league table. It was pretty flat but largely off-road, along a slightly uneven canal towpath and through some woods (pretty!). Got there early for a warm-up and a poor girl who was going to be helping at a water station chased me and some clubmates up a gravel track for ages just in case we were doing the two-mile fun run and had gone the wrong way. She was pretty knackered by the time she caught us!

When the race got going there was one other woman in front of me at the start, and   I ended up overtaking her a bit earlier than I wanted to, just after 1km, so knew I was first lady but would have to work hard to hang onto it. I was on 4mins/km pace for the first 4.5km, but I knew it wasn't really realistic and I ended up slowing down quite a bit, partly on purpose (to compensate for starting too fast) and partly just because I didn't quite have the stamina. Plus the course probably wasn't ideal PB terrain as some of the ground was a bit uneven and there were some quite sharp turns. Excellent marshalling though, which had been a concern pre-race as the course looked pretty confusing.

Anyway, I passed the 5k mark at about 20:10 (which would actually be a 5k PB, only just) but finished the whole race in 31:23 by my watch. I'm happy enough with it for a first 10k, but it wasn't actually a great deal faster than my half marathon pace, so I'm sure I've got a faster 10k in me somewhere, and perhaps not 3 weeks after a marathon. My legs feel fine now after London, but my chest doesn't seem to have caught up and I don't have the endurance needed to hold a fast pace (yet). I can see lots of painful speed sessions coming up!

Anyway, 12th over all, and 1st lady, and - more importantly - 1st in my club, which was most of the point. So a good day.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done Boys! And Lit with the 31:23 10k. image  Martin I can't believe that's only your second 10k!

keeping everything crossed for DS.

Being injured has its advantages. Currently enjoying beer and rugby! image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good report Martin and very good time! Not surprised you were annoyed by the assistance that guy got, very contrived if you ask me, is that allowed? Certainly a face to remember for the next race and I'm sure you will get the better of him. Imagine what you can do if you work on your speed. Any more 10k's lined up?

Well done Lorenzo that's a decent time especially on an off-road course. What's your 10k pb? You had better get moving if you don't want Lorenzito to whizz past you in a 5k. 19:58 is a very good time for that age.

Nice runs there Ant.

The way I'm going at the moment I think I will have to get my hands on that book (Run faster)  too. 3.5 miles for me today fist 2.5 miles at 7:30 pace and last mile in 6:18 just to get a bit of a sweat on. Not feeling uber confident of a pb with looming 5k next week but will be lining up regardless how I feel.

Wonder how Menn and DS2 got on...

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, oops, clearly I meant 41.23. I'm not that fast!

One day I'll do one that starts with a 3.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Martin- great racing and a very decent time.

Lorenzo- that's a big chunk taken off of Lorenzo jnr PB looking very promising. Although I can't make up my mind if its great when the kids start beating you or it's just a reminder that 'old Father time' waits for no man.

My lad (7 1/2) leaves me for dust over short sprints, usually with the tv remote in hand.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Excellent time Literatin for your 1st ever 10k, with some practice you have massive potential I reckon. Took me a year and four 10k's to go sub 42!

AR- Any idea what time you are hoping to do on Thursday?

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

GFA bagged! Just! Will report properly later! Thanks for your support on here!

• Options

DS2 - fantastic news. Tell us more!!

Literatin - great report. Sounds a very similar course to the one I did this morning. I'm sure you'll go sub 40 in the not too distant future (or perhaps you're aiming at sub 30 image)

Gerard - my PB is 39:55 on a pancake flat course a couple of years ago so hoping to get close to 39:30 this summer. I've still got nearly a minute over 5K on younger Lorenzito but this time last year that gap was 2 1/2 minutes so not sure how long it's going to last. At least he's got other sporting commitments most Saturday mornings so I can put off the smackdown for a few weeks.image 

Minni - are you sure you should be playing rugby when you're injured?! 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice Lorenzo! I would take 39:55 in a heartbeat but would really like to go low 39 one day.

I ran a 5k about six months ago and a 12 year destroyed me and he finished in 18:30 but he and his family are all unbelievable runners, older bro of 20 turns up invariably at 5k's and finishes in 16:2x!!!!

Studying/exams and running don't mix and post mid June I aim to focus on speed and some hills (major weakness of mine apart from smoking that is, yikes the shame of it) thrown into the bargain.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

Literatin - great report. Sounds a very similar course to the one I did this morning. I'm sure you'll go sub 40 in the not too distant future (or perhaps you're aiming at sub 30 image)

Yeah, next goals are sub-40 10k and learn to type.

• Options

Gerard - I'm not an expert and I know it's easier said than done, but at the risk of stating the obvious, I'd say that packing in the fags will do wonders for your 10K time!!! How long have you been smoking for?

• Options

Argh, just lost my post. Summary...

Lit - nice one! What was the prize? 

Martin - nice one as well!

Struggled round 18 miles today and failed to run any of it at MP. I would be despondent, but I realise I have run 160 miles in the last two weeks, 135 of which have been in the last 10 days. I suspect I'm just a bit tired. Sooooo......

TAPER TIME!!!!

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Excellent racing Lorenzo and family.

Great result Lit. 1st lady, 1st for club and a PB. Excellent racing.

Well done DS2. Loving the way you keep us all in suspense with your time.

AR -just go for it. Shorter races are out of comfort zone but over fairly quickly.

It's good to be enjoying your running Ant after a frustrating marathon season.

Enjoy the rugby Minni. Hoping Falcons win to see Deano back in the Prem (lucky still to be allowed to coach though).

Frustrating that the guy in front had help but being honest I was on the limit so was never going to beat him. I've also bought Run Faster. Some great ideas to use for faster shorter distances and then to take through to 2014 VLM.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

x-post. Well done Speedy. You've had a good couple of weeks so take the positives out of it. You've got the experience so be confident of a small PB at least.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

We could have a DS2 sweepstake while we're waiting?

Martin - it does seem a bit wrong for that guy to have help that no-one else had. Not quite the same as the marshalls giving everyone the same kind of information as they run round.

Speedy - the prize was a bit embarrassing... they don't actually have them, but we didn't know and were getting a bit cold and wanted to get to the pub, so someone from my club tracked down the race director to ask (just to see if we needed to hang around for a presentation) and she panicked and thought she ought to give me something, so she rooted around in her car where she had a large collection of Queen's Diamond Jubilee glass paperweights and offered me one of those. And after all the fuss I couldn't really say no. So now I have a royalist paperweight. image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo I know, it's a dumb & disgusting habit. 23 years! I am for the first time seriously thinking about packing them in.

Jesus Speedy, 160 miles in two weeks, that is alot of road. You'll have no problems with endurance that's for sure. What's your A goal or are you not saying yet?

• Options

Good running there from MartinH, nice to see that VLM didn't leave a big hole. What are the plans for the summer, by my reckoning the tactic would be a fast summer and then an autumn 10 miler and half.

I ran the Marlow 5 today. Almost an A race but I have a 10k next week so the primary purpose was to see how pace felt. I have done a few 5ks in sub 6 pace but the calculators reckoned that 5 miles would be 30:30 so I was hoping for a 30.xx.

I had the Garmin on autolap and was checking the mile markers and each tells a slightly different tale. Overall it seems to be a fast first mile in about 5:3x and then a couple dead on 6 minutes to get me to 3 miles in 17:3x. I then knew that a good push home would get me a sub 30. Mile 4 was hard and seemed to use up a good half of the cushion I had and I reckon I had 6l15 for the last mile, Garmin started to say 6:16 and a few runners came past and I was able to hold on and get a pull along so the pace built up to 6:0x again and then with the last bend done and about 800m left and 3 minutes I knew it was in the bag and came home in 29:56.

Overall very happy about sub 30 and last year I did 29:19 so the gradual improvement back to racing form continues. Racing calendar is starting to look full so I am getting myslef back into fast running by running fast.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Moof - nice, I never run more than 2M off the bike in training and then I only do it a few times just before a race. However IM training would need some long runs off the bike.

DS2 - well played, I'm chuffed for you.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a great run Martin, surprised how little 10k experience you have for such a well judged race. And you too Lit with the PB and podium (even with a naff reward).

Good speed there PMJ- I think you are a shade quicker than me now, which is not saying much.

Blimey speedy it really is time to taper, that's a long run 2 weeks out from Edinburgh. Let's hope a rest gets you fully firing again

I did 16.5 today at 8:45 pace. Actually it was first 3 slow, last one slow, but 12 at 8:30 in the middle. It was hard work but my faster pals pulled me along and that's 40 for the week.   

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Excellent racing PMJ.  Plans are summer league races for the club.  Main targets are PB's at 5m in July, 10m in September & HM in October, but also have 6m & 7m races where I would like to PB. I now have one week of running before I go away for two weeks with no running at all.  Then a 6m league race the day after I get back will kickstart things again. None of the league races are flat so today was a treat even though it was very twisty.

Decent 10ks in Leics are few and far between.  So many are very hilly or too close to VLM.  It was a PB that was way out of kilter with the rest of my races.

Good that you got a prize in the end Lit, even though it wasn't really!!

That's a lot of mileage Speedy.  You deserve the taper.

Nice 16.5miles OO.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sorry - 3:19:07 chip. Lucky the good fella's at VLM gave me an extra 5 minutes 2 weeks ago for being very old! Felt terrible all the way sweating heavily so ran a negative split. First time ever! 25 mins quicker than last year and fastest marathon since 1994!!!

Off to MIL's for big, big roast dinner. Full report later!

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Fantastic news DS2. Pig out tonight, VLM training can wait until tomorrow image

• Options

Good run there DS2.

MartinH, which summer league is that? I used to run East Midland Grand Prix and that was some odd collection of distances with 5, 6, 7 milers, 10k etc.

OO'50, like you, 40.34 for the week by a carefully judged warm up and cool down. The miles don't really tell the tale though, a month ago 42 in 5:30, this week 40.34 in 4:55 so call that 20+ minutes faster of 30 seconds a mile average faster.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Excellent result DS2.  Well done.

PMJ - It is the Leicestershire Road League.  5, 6 & 7 milers there as well.  Most courses include hills but usually a scorer for the club so needs doing. 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

PMJ - that's a massive improvement. Won't be long before you are back on top form!

Thanks Martin - the overall feeling is one of relief!

• Options

DS2 Great GFA, especially given your build up. Look forward to the report. Another one for Chandos

Martin Great report, I would not be happy about the other guy and his mates, and very fast indedd.

Lorenzo Good report and time

Lit Great Pb and first everything. Not so sure about the prize

PMJ Sub 6 pacing, very good indeed.

I am also reading Run Faster at the moment

My logic is I don't like to run fast, even today I was stressing about sub 20 min 5km. Hopefully the more I run quickly, the more comfortable it will become. Logic would say running 42.2 km at 4:15 pace is not possible when you can't run 4:00km pace comfortably for any distance.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Scooby - Your logic is correct.  This year pre-VLM I didn't run as many fast intervals as I did last year and found it harder to keep a slower pace than last year.  The more you run fast the easier it does become but I would never say that it becomes nice!!

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Agree with Martin. I did plenty of threshold / cruise intervals, and plenty of slow stuff this year. It made Marathon Pace feel comfortable. Previously I had run a lot of 'grey miles' (the fast too slow, and the slow too fast). 

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well done DS2, see you at London next year. I won't need reminding to wish you a happy birthday as it's my wifes on VLM day too ,I haven't broken the news to her yet. It'll go something live this.

" Ha! Darling, you'll find this funny. Well you know your birthday is 13th April, yeah!" Enthusiastically said.(as if she didn't know)

" Well next year it's falls on a Sunday."

(Big pause)

(Deep breath)

"The thing is the London marathon falls on exactly the same day! How funny is that!"

At this point I will put my fingers in my ears and close my eyes.

Anyway....

Speedy- avoid everybody! And if anyone comes near you with even the slightest sniffle....punch them!
  • Options

OO - I always run 18 miles two weeks out, often with at least 6 @ MP. But I wouldn't usually have done quite so many miles. The taper is shorter this time due to missing a great big chunk of training with that chest bug. 

Lit - no prizes???? In a race you paid to enter? I've done races where there has only been a prize for 1st man and 1st lady, but none at all is a bit weird. 

Looking forward to the report DS2!