Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options

My porridge is also settling.  I misjudged the quanties today so it was a case of one slice or two.  I have 12 to do and though I am not in the mood, I'll head out in an hour or so.  I've picked quite a flat route, mostly on sandtracks rather than tarmac or pavement, over the other side of the city.

Happy running/trotting/plodding everyone image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Julia T, yep freaky !! image

I have to be out early, kids and hubbie to think ofimage

Have a good run each image

• Options

Morning.  I'm a lot better today thanks.  I hear what you say Podds, so I'm going to do 2 laps of Richmond Park but if I start to struggle I'll just do the one lap.  I'm possibly not very well fueled.  I'm going to leave the bathroom scales behind cos they aren't accurate enough (I did a test weighing bottles of water, need digital I suspect) but a plaster over my HR monitor is a definite.

Blimey Spence -  done and dusted already.  What time do you get up in a morning??  Good pacing too.

Slices of porridge - erm...............no thanks, I'll make my own.  Do you make it the traditional way TP with water and salt?  I don't get that at all, got to be milk and honey. 

Catch up later.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Hope you get on ok Soupy, I'd much rather be up and out early, sometimes in the summer I'm out by 6 am !! Hubbie gets a bit image if running takes up the whole day

Actually to be fair that face is much crosser than he gets really!! but I'm sure those of you with small baby goats understand !

• Options
    *sits down on sofa with a cuppa and starts to read back*
  • Options
    *is happy most seem ok, but waits patiently to hear how Soup got on*
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Fancy a glass of wine whilst you wait Schmunkee ?
  • Options

I still have a head full of cold so my taste buds are redundant at the mo' image

If you could put the bottle back in the fridge for a couple of days................................................image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

err........

Might be too late image

• Options

wine in the fridge????

Philistines!

thanks for that converter thingy, soupy - just what I've been looking for

• Options
    Well 15 miles done, hamstrings are sore, i could feel them from about mile 11 onwards image

Still, i didn't look at my Garmin (too much anyway!) i tried to run on how i felt and averaged 12.25 min miles and a HR of 145 which is around 70% . Pace all over the place though, due to the wind, hills and three very short walk breaks (just a few yards to ingest shotbloks) ranged from 11.41 to 13.11.

Am waiting with baited breath to hear how Soupys run went.

Wine? I think i would be under the table if i had a glass now!!
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well run Juliaimage

Cup of tea?

• Options

Afternoon.  12 done so Week 6 ticked off.  Only another 10 to  go image

To get all footbally, it was a run of two halves ... well actually four quarters!  First 3 miles uneventful and settling in nicely.  Then I started to get horrible stomach cramps and the need for a loo became apparent .  The second quarter became a faster trot towards the park which was about mile 6 and which had a loo near the gate ... that was a fast 3 miles image but made it.  Thank gawd there wasn't a queue.

Trotted round the park and headed back.  Felt quite image and empty/woozy  but at least I wasn't having to run with my buttocks clenched!  Next 3 were hard as it was uphill.  Got to 9 and it began to feel a bit easier as that home stretch mentality clicked in.  Finished in 2.20.22 which was bit faster than the 2.30 which the plan said aim for, but the race for the loo had a lot to do with that image Avg of 11.43.

All in all, it was a good run and pace fairly even apart from that bit.  Took gels at 4 and 8 and had a litre of water during.  Hydration is definitely getting better as I even finished needing a wee.  Bloody chilly out there today - about +3 - and although I ran wearing gloves, it took about an hour for the feeling to come back into my hands.

Good going there Julia image

• Options
    That would be lovely Windy, came over all weak and wobbly for a couple of hours there, now fully revived by Mr T's roast chicken dinner. image

With gooseberry crumble for later

TP your graphic description made me laugh, i'm always amazed at how running brings us all down to basic human bodily functions! I've never talked about such things to anyone other than a runner.

Good speedy run, well done!
  • Options

Well that was interesting! image  13.88 miles done at PE which took 2:52 but had a total of 9mins with stops for drinks, loo, etc.  I had to stop to use a water fountain a couple of times and then faff about unlocking my car to get poweraid.  And I needed the loo 3 miles in so might have to take some Domperidone on race day because runners trots is getting to be an issue and its always after 3 miles. image  Av running pace without the stops for faffing was about 11:45 average and HR 150.  I've been training to 145.image  I was keeping a steady rhythm of breathe in for 3 steps, out for 3 steps.  At times it felt hard but then at about mile 7 suddenly it felt really sort of natural and almost easy like I could go on and on.  When I checked my stats those 3 miles when it felt good (until a water stop) my HR was a very constant 150. Managed to pick up the pace just a bit on the last mile. 

PS  I didn't get to Richmond Park cos traffic was at a standstill for 20mins on the way so I turned round and did a couple of laps plus an out and back near to home.  Measured it just now at 13.8 miles so not quite the 14 but near enough for me.  I've ordered a foot pod so I can get more accurate splits from next week. 

Good runs everyone.  Has anyone saved me any wine???

Off for my bath.

Oh, my run is here

• Options

I've put my running top in the washer and just realised it still has jelly babies in the back pocket. image 

I've compared today's run with the same route on 23 Jan which was 2 laps (9.8 miles) and I was quicker with a lower HR of 145.  That might because of the wind today and me possibly still a bit out of sorts. But the fact that I can sustain a 150 HR is encouraging.    That run is here: 23 Jan

Was it DL who mentioned about self sabotage?  I think I do the same.  That pace should give me a close to 5hour finish time but I daren't hope for it.  I've sort of got 5:15 in my mind as a champagne moment.  I suppose faster than that could be an added slap up meal out incentive. image

• Options

Well runned Soupy image

You're right, porridge for us tough Scots is always water and salt.  None of your southern sissy milk and sugar ... it's not a cup of tea you know image

I will not let myself think of any time target at the moment.  I want to be fit enough to get to the start line and I want to be fit enough to get to the finish.  I went down the hoped for time route last one and then injured my foot so I will not tempt fate.

• Options

I have a green gloopy thing stuck to Mr S' tracky bottoms that looks like a huge bogey.  I'm assuming its the remains of the wayward jelly baby!!! image image 

Porridge with salt, no, no no..........thats wrong!! No wonder you were desperate for the loo! image  Hmmmm but so was I and my porridge was with milk and honey.  image

Steak and chips were lovely tonight and now to watch Top Gear that I recorded. image 

• Options

Hope you  haven't tasted the bogey in an attempt at identification image 

Porridge made with milk tastes too gloopy to me but I guess it's just what you're used to.  I don't get these people who stir in fruit & stuff into it either.  That would have my granny spinning as they say!

I had fish again tonight.  Given that I eat fish about 3 or 4 times a week I'm amazed that I'm such a crap swimmer.

• Options

I don't know what happened to the  2 red and 3 orange jelly babies!! But I think the gloop is a wine gum that he tends to carry but no, I haven't tasted it.  Note to self - even when tired, check all pockets first.  I'm really tired hence the talking cr@p  or it might be the caffeine gel I had earlier, and its a boring bit on Top Gear thats about cars.  I don't watch it to find out about cars. image 

I'll log off now and give you all some peace and quiet. image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    well run Soupy image
  • Options

Thanks Windy.  I just realised I mentioned Domperidone earlier to stop toilet requirments but I really meant Loperimide.  Domperidone just stops nausea. Thought I'd better correct it in case anyone decides to try it. image

Edit - night all

x

End of week 7 - nearly half way there. image

• Options

Hi all - bit of a 'off' weekend, so didn't get to log on - looks like Podds steps in where I fail though.

Soupy - if your HR training is going well, running at 5 bpm faster for longer is to be expected and I would take that as a good result. As someone mentioned (TP?) the wind is atrocious at the moment and it is hard to get an even pace going.  However, what I would think is that your MHR has risen by a correspionding 5 beats - and this is what we want, as it denotes you are fitter. My long runs are done at 160 - 165 HR, which a couple of years ago would have been threshold for me, but is now a comfortable pace. Keep your eye on this, as it could be we need to adjust your zones accordingly.

I must admit I've never tried the breathing thing - always seems to me that there is enough going on without counting your breaths, but if it works, go for it.

Again can't recall whoe (sorry - head a bit frazzled), if you are needing a wee when you finish, you have your hydration spot on, well done.

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Howdy

Lots of good running and toilet habits I see !?

In defence of my  freakery - I can only maintain 8mm pace for 800 metre bursts during intervals. This has yet to translate into super speedy plodding the rest of the time. My plan said I was due a mere 12 miler (as opposed to the 16 last week) Set off feeling very positive and happy. Half a mile in the joy deserted me. I seemed to have chosen a route that was quite consistently uphilly and directly into the most blustery of strong headwinds. I was not happy. I think my head is the problem 'ahh' thinks I 'a mere 12 miles, this will be easy' and as soon as it isn't it feels twice as hard. I'm much better when I set off thinking it's going to be hard then I often think to myself 'see it's not so awful, your legs haven't fallen off' Anyhoo, the second half was obviously easier as it was downhill with the wind behind me - average pace 10.50mm. Amusingly for you Spence, I was running towards Ashby - didn't get there though.

TP - are you following Shades plan too?? 18 miles on Sunday? <gulp>

Hope the lurgies, stomach upsets and times of the month subside.

Happy new week full of promise and opportunity

• Options

well done DL image - that's quite a fast pace for a long plod (mine's always around 11:30 - but then I'm possibly a dawdler)

oh, when you say 8mm - do you mean 8:00 or 8:59?

• Options

My sister and I were discussing the mental side of it on Saturday. This is when we do her 'recovery' run and so we expect it to be easy. It never ever is. So we have decided not to call it a recovery run anymore - just another run. And like you, I went out on Sunday, looking forward to it - 15 miles which i had decided to do out and back along the canal, so it would be lumpy underfoot, which is good for my weak ankles (strengthens them) but not hilly. I also have a lot on my mind at the moment and was looking forward to the run helping me sort it. Well, what can i say. First three miles were a disaster, to the point that I decided that as 15 mile would usually take me about 2.30 hours, I would walk for that - at least then I would have time on feet. Needless to say I got cold and decided to run a bit. I ended up doing 13 miles in 2.30, which is pretty dismal for me - head just not in the right place, I guess. This also means I have missed a jump up, so next weeks' 17 will be a challenge!!!

And so it seems to me more and more that I run with my head, not my legs.

• Options

Morning All

It's lovely so see all these plans coming to fruition already image  I reckon I'm getting more excited than you guys and will be bouncing up and down like a bouncy thing on the various race days to see how you all get on image  I far prefer supporting to training image

IronM.in(erva) wrote (see)

Hi all - bit of a 'off' weekend, so didn't get to log on - looks like Podds steps in where I fail though.

Oops sorry M.in, image didn't mean to hijack the thread

Anyway I can talk the talk but really can't walk the walk very well so everyone is free to ignore me or tell me to shup up if they wish image  Some already do image

Hope everyone's heads and legs are in the right place for the next week of training and all the physical and emotional stresses have subsided a bit...

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

M.in - sorry to hear about your hard easy run - however it is kind of reassuring to us mortals to know that even the mighty struggle at times  

JFF - My splits were somewhere between 7.40 and 8.10 averaging out (because I'm sad and have now done the calculations) to 7.71 minute mile pace. Do you see what you have made me stoop to????? As it's dark when I run it's really hard to know what pace I'm going at until I pass under a lampost, then I can either try and slow it down or speed it up.

• Options

Oh, I'm not mighty, believe me! Bit like Podds, I can talk it better than I walk it! No worries Podds - I was slack at logging on this weekend. image

I'm doing JW, btw. image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

oooh I'm trying to get a relay team together, Mrs Far Far, DL and I were going to do it last year but what with my knees and DL playing hard to get we never made it..............maybe this year ! image