Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

No idea on Rutland Ripple but Newlands Corner hill is the same amount of climb as Box Hill just without any zig zags. It is a killer because it is a straight bit of road, does the head in before the body. I had to get off and walk up Sunday as I came to an almost stop and cramped up.

Cake sorry to hear you and Bookie can't make the Boar. Life sometimes gets in the way of sport. (()) and fingers crossed.

• Options

She should be fine in a week or two or I'm nicking her vit place. image

You never know might still make the boar but the way it's goin throught best to say. Way it's going you never know might end up supporting. image Now that's chuffing hard work!

• Options

Hope Sarah feels better soon, it sounds really nasty poor thing. There's more important things than races image

• Options

Hi all. Yes I am in for the outlaw half/ better not be I'll this time

Mikasa the general places go on sale at 9 so if you want one get in quickly as there are only 250 places.

Cake look after that bookie! Don't let her start doing stuff before she is properly better

6 mile run this morning followed by about 10 mile walk mostly downhill steeply and I am worn out!

• Options

Nope I will be shaking the pom poms at the Outlaw Half next year - am looking to do a later in the year HIM like Heaver Castle and concentrate more on the running early in the year.  Will be doing the Outlaw as part of a team tho' probably more on the run than on the bike.  Too many things up in the air at the moment for me to know if I can get the bike miles in to do the bike leg of the Outlaw image but I figure I can run wherever I am image

• Options

Good luck for the results day pixie

9 weeks is a long term...

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Decided not to go for it (don't think I was even awake at 9). I know there's months before it, but just feel it would've been too early in the season with all the problems I'll have to overcome before training properly again. I'm thinking learn fc, couple of oly's and maybe Wild Boar at the end of the season. 

I have to say, I'm really impressed with all of you. Just normal people doing HIM's and IM's and I can't even be consistent with my training. You are all an inspiration to me and one day I'll hope to follow in your footsteps. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Steady - yes please, could you send me that link? Not sure I'll be up to it but at least I can think about it.

• Options

Mikasa just build it slow and get some consistancy in training there is nothing special or abnormally hard in training for a half or a IM just different to most.

Oh and having met a few fews some of us arn't that normal. image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa I will send the link when I get home, you could do the shorter route if unsure of fitness.

• Options
    AliBear30 wrote (see)

I have a question please oh knowledgeable peeps.

Newlands hill, versus Rutland ripple, comparable or is one worse than the other?

Newlands nearly killed me yesterday and I'm still cramping from it!

Hiya!  Having done both I would say that they are probably comparable however, iirc you get a downhill run into the Ripple(s) so can pick up some momentum to get you started.

Not sure where you're based but if there's nothing comparable near you, find something easier and practice climbing it in a harder gear.  And as Steady said, there are no hills which can't be walked!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Ride 4 Frimley Cycle Sportive – Sunday 28 September

The cycle sportive is aimed at everyone from families to leisure and amateur cyclists. There are three routes to choose from (12 mile, 22 mile and 50 mile) all of which start and finish at Pirbright Village Primary School. All of the routes take cyclists on a journey through the beautiful Surrey countryside on mostly quiet roads. Registration includes finisher medal, goody bag, chip timing (22 mile and 50 mile), rider insurance, feed station (50 mile), bike racking and full medical/mechanical support.

Mikasa  here is the link, not sure if Dustboy would be up for doing it. http://www.fphcharity.org/ride    I may even ride to it, do the medium one and then ride home,  otherwise I would drive over.

Trogs glad to hear you can answer some questions, you know most of the hills and what they are like.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks Steady - however, that Sunday is no good for me, I will either have a volleyball tournament or a match that Sunday. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Fair enough Mikasa.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Shame, it would've been nice to so something local. 

• Options

Thanks Trogs, it sounds like I'm in with a chance and the possibility of a run up helps. image

Did hill repeats this morning so I am trying. Legs are still somewhat weary from Sunday.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Alibear, I have only done a walk so far this week, taking recovery seriously, plus.the bike needs a clean and lubrication before riding. Well done.  

My upper arms ache and feel weak. Not an expected side effect from a long ride.

• Options

Mikasa - consistency is the key! Which I don't have at present image Feeling shoddy. Will get some running in before the 113! 

• Options

Just in case anyone fancies it if you look on the tri threads there is a DIY half thread been set up by SA for next year. It will be fun. image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Oh, will look at that Cake, thanks for the tip off.

I have been out for a bit of a bimble. Definitely more walk than jog, but it is a start. The body hurt a tiny bit at the novelty of doing it.

• Options

Good bimbling Steady! More than I've done today! image

• Options

Well done steady

MrsD Get well soon

I had a_ lovely run/walk yesterday then ate a massive ice creamimage

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Ooh, I have been OW swimming yesterday, then this morning a 23 mile ride out with the club, supposed easy/recovery ride but ended up on Epsom Downs and then doing an area known as little Switzerland on the way back.

I may need a little sleep this afternoon.

• Options

Top work Steady... Sounds good! If not a little lumpy! Did you get your afternoon nap? 

Im feeling much better. Will pop out for a run tomorrow, see how that goes! Feel I should be more concerned about the half marathon in 2 weeks image

• Options

Just to check remember this came up on the thread a bit back but can't remember who asked about the bike route for the vit. Who is doing it this year? It's looking like I might have to be a last minute replacement for a relay team bike leg on it.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mrs Digger, no I did not get an afternoon nap but ticked off quite a few things on the to-do list.  I also cooked a roast turkey breast and home made gluten free apple pie, so that scored lots of brownie points with Mr Steady.

I have entered the ballot for Ride London for next year, as I want to be able to say that I did the full 100 and did the hills.

Thinking about doing a sportive this autumn but not sure whether to push for doing a 100 miler or do a lesser distance. I dislike the way they put so many hills into sportives.