Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - that is a good idea

some sunshine and warmth and having a break away from home will do you good too - it hasn't been an easy year

• Options

Do it Steady, cycling in Spain is far superior, and safer, to cycling over here. Most roads are smoother, had a metre wide shoulder at the side you can cycle on, and motorists tend to be much more understanding and patient.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

morning

well, yesterday binned my club swim and spinning to take eldest son to the out of hours dr for a persistent cough. We thought it was an infection but no, it is his asthma out of control. She gave us some steroids but he is still bad today. It is so hard to get him to take his inhalers etc.

Anyway, was supposed to be doing Woodhall Spa tri today, but I just don't want to leave him. I know my OH won't insist on his taking inhalers and would go out and leave him alone, and I just don't want him left on his own, just in case

frustrating for me, but I spent half the night awake worrying about him. At least the weather is nice so I will go out for a little run, but going to the tri would have meant me being gone for most of the day

• Options

Maths, do you have a shovel?  I believe that its perfectly acceptable to hit OH and Eldest son with a shovel if they won't take care of their health.

I ran today.  I've lost the ability to run at a constant pace...my first 5km were 4.48; 4.07; 4.57; 5.20; 5.31.  It would have been much better to keep a nice 5min km across the board.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the son Maths I know how stubborn they can get.

I've had a good weekend I swam in the rain, biked in the rain and ran in the rain. The joys of being back in merry old England!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, tell your son from me a fellow asthmatic to use his inhalers, life is so much better when you can breathe easily. My twice a day steroid one keeps me fine and I just have the blue reliever one for in case of emergencies,  it does not cause any embarrassment at using. I found the Asthma UK website useful as it has videos of how to use inhalers with a good technique as it is easy to slip into sloppy use and end up not getting any benefit from them.

Pete, was the change of pace due to hills, if so not a bad result.

Alibear, sounds like you had a lovely summer weekend with all that rain, I blame the festival season for it.image

• Options

there was a slight incline at the end but not a real hill.  It was 11°c today when I ran and then down to 9°C and rainy at home time.

when does summer start?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

thanks guys!

He is still coughing a lot, but my parents looked after him today (my dad is also asthmatic) and took him back to the GP. GP checked he was using his inhalers properly and said there is no wheeze now when listening to his chest but to keep up the inhalers

skipped swimming tonight to do some exam marking. MIght see if I get chance to sneak to the lake after work tomorrow, but I will be running in the morning, love morning runs at this time of year

• Options

I got a case of CBA today, image   need to pull my finger out.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Pete is seems your weather arrived over here for 7am today, so another bike in rain at 9 degrees this morning. I had to did my winter gear out! Madness, I'm hoping for summer to soon as my training is gearing up from here on...

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I'm having a really hard time getting swim training in. My two local pools that have evening sessions are all over the place or full of kids with anyone who actually wants to swim crammed into one lane and the pool closest to my work only opens 3 mornings a week and that's not until 7.30 when I have to be in a meeting for 8.30 so I don't feel like I'm getting a proper session in.

I can see why people don't like the swim the most often, its not because its hard its because its so difficult to train for.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Simo429 , yes it's not easy finding pools that have useful public swim times, are there any a bit further afield that might work? That's what I've had to do as my local one just doesn't work time wise and when I can get there it's only got 2 lanes and I'm too quick for the slow lane and too slow for the fast one!

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    I think the one at work is the best but I've got no idea how I can get enough swimming in to move psst the shorter distance swims
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC and Buttercup, in case you have not seen. I have put a shout out on FB for a replacement for me at the Outlaw with a response from IronPingu. This has taken the pressure off me in getting the training done to take part.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

simo - that kind of problem is what led me to join a masters club

steady - it would be a shame if you didn't make it but I do understand. I am not sure if there is a deadline for changing who is on the team?

Ali - don't know where you live but if was really warm when I went for a run at 5am

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

If I remember correctly they emailed to ask for confirmation of the names for the team, but I will check it out with them but so long as you still have a team that is the main thing.  I will probably come up to support anyway as I have booked the Monday off work, but will be sensible about listening to my body.
    If the GP is right then I have been very run down and that my underactive thyroid is now even more underactive and I need an increase in the meds. Whatever it is, at the moment I feel too tired to exercise and now I know that someone will stand in for me, it relieves the pressure off of me to get training before I am totally ready to.

I have only managed to do 2 x 50 milers, so it would be a massive jump in distance.

• Options

Steady, ultimately you know your limits and I guess they don't ask for ID when you register so someone else could pretend to be you.

Simo, the local pool near the office sticks up lanes for 1.5 hours over lunch hour and so I go in and do 30 minutes minimum.  Even I can get 25-30 lengths in that time and I'm slow.  That'll cover your sprint distance.

I ran at lunch and took a minute off my small loop time which was pleasing.  I'm starting to get down to last years run times, but I still don't have the stamina when doing anything over 4km.  I knew spending the winter sitting on the sofa eating donuts was a mistake.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I'm over in East Anglia, am pleased to say the weather was better for this mornings run and rumour has it that the lake will be 19 degrees tonight! Tropical image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - main thing is to take care of yourself

pete - yes they do ask for id when you register! The guys that organise the outlaw are very strict on it

• Options

4.6 mile run tonight, a steady first mile 10.07 pace  to warm up then  speeded up, next mile 9.11, upped the pace again next mile 8.44, and next mile 8.53. felt really good and could have carried on but not at that pace.

Hoping to get an OW swim in sometime this week.

• Options

4 mile run at just under 10:00 pace. No point bothering to go any quicker as I'll be going slower on the day anyway. Only events currently booked in are Outlaw and Helvellyn, and neither is going to be a speedy (even by my standards) run...

• Options

Oo.... Not long to Outlaw now image I'm ready for a bit of heckling, sorry 'supporting'!!! 

Steady, just go with how you feel. All you can do! 

Bit of a swim and turbo tonight. Had lots of long days at work (15hr days) so not much happening training wise. Having to at least double up sessions on days off. Sat, I'm gonna trip out to South Cerney for a pootle on the bike. 

Whats everyone up to the weekend? 

• Options

well...the family did ask what I wanted to do for fathers day and I suggested a 50 mile bike ride on my ownimage  but they didn't seem impressed with the idea image

Actually this weekend will be spent cleaning and getting the house prepared for selling.  I'm tired of the Scottish Nationalism.  I'm tired of the cold and wet.  I'm leaving the country.  I've been offered a job in Houston so I'm out of here.  Instead of a lone pirate in the Scottish hills, I'm going to be a lone pirate in the Houston flatlands.  At least it'll be warmer.

• Options

Had the day off today so have been for a little pootle on the bike, 101 miles in the glorious sunshine in just over 6 hours! Even managed a nice lunch in the park with the wife, so that keeps her happy image

Unfortunately we aren't going to be able to make Outlaw now, family decided to pick that weekend for a gathering, the only weekend we already had plans. We will be cheering everyone on and will miss everyone as it was a great weekend last year! 

• Options

image Oh Rocco... You gonna be at the 226? 

Had a little run tonight. Off out on the bike tomorrow. Have a top weekend people image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pete - exciting but what a contrast in geography between Texas and Scotland! You might not like the heat in the summer there! But you will probably have a house with aircon and a pool image

rocco - shame you can't make outlaw

I have been so busy and knackered haven't done much this week

In charge of a school trip yesterday and all went smoothly thank goodness but it was a long tiring day

• Options

Did Parkrun this morning with Horse, I ran 25.06 which is 9 seconds outside my PB, I think I paid for it on the first mile which was 8.09. 

Just checked my Garmin mile 1...8:09,   mile 2....8:58,   mile 3.....7:49 (and I thought my first mile was quickest)  for an avg pace of   8:21 min/mile, really happy with my time, it shows the speedier training runs are paying off.  image Horse got a stitch and came in a minute behind me.

• Options

Top running Razor! Had a crap day of training today. Had a rubbish week at work, and that combined with doubts about Outlaw just had me in the wrong frame of mind. Going to sort my head out and get out for a decent ride tomorrow

• Options

Matt.

We all have shit days and work gets in the way of training  but dont let it get into your head  that you wont be ready for Outlaw just put it down to a few bad days and move on. You have put the hours in, you WILL be ready,  image

• Options

Couple of bottles of San Miguel, paella cooking on the bbq, and sat out enjoying a lovely evening. Tomorrow will be better.