Options

How do you modify a training plan after injury?

I recently suffered a bit of calf pain (not major but enough to stop my running) during a speed session. It's responded well to icing and compression and I reckon I should be able to return in about 10 days. My question is this, having missed two weeks of a training plan for an April mara - how do you modify a plan so you don't overdo it and risk injury again or by the same token don't get behind schedule? I guess I'm asking if there's some kind of equation you can apply. Things were going so well for my training with big improvements and it's been upsetting to have this setback, if I could see a path to get back to where I was then I think I'd cheer myself up.

If I want to return and build back to the fitness and endurance level I was at what's more important endurance or speed/tempo sessions and is there anything I can do in this non running time to maintain both or either?

The plan I've been following and one I've really enjoyed is a Greg McMillan plan I got from a newspaper website.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options

Jonny haven't seen the plan so can't say. Two weeks no training through isn't the end of the world. I'd evaluate once you are able to run again and see how you feel. Most important thing is through not to worry and feel you have to fit the weeks in that you have missed by over training because your just going to injure yourself. As a general rule I would say that both long runs are slightly more inportant than speedwork but both are needed to get your goals.

Set backs happen and happen to all of us, the reward at the end of it is all the more sweeter for them.

• Options
    Thanks Cake for kind uplifting words. Plan has been great. This week should have been Tues - 60 min easy run, Thurs - 60 min with fartlek, saturday - 40 min easy, sunday - 12 long run. it gradually gets tougher and includes some occasional things like progression runs and interval sessions scattered through the weeks - it's very varied, which I've enjoyed so far (I started the plan back in November in the hope that a longer plan would help me reach my goals, so far it has but this is a setback - I'm blaming the skipped sessions due to snow/christmas).