Options

"Down Tow Up Flow" Thames Towpath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Oh Erika, so sorry to hear about your knee injury, get back into it slowly is always best.......

Bigsmile06, well that is great news for your place, shame for the circumstances, but at least Erika can use the money for another event in the future!!  Shame on you for not running today, hee hee only joking, glad that my training schedule is similar to yours.  What will you get up to before 24th?  I think I might just get to 10 miles, like I did in 2008???  Best regards all, Sarahimage

• Options

hi,

first half marathon since injurying my foot last year image looking at the times dare i say they are looking abit slow? does that mean i shouldnt expect a good time? is it hard/is there alot of gates to cross etc? wanted to get a decent time and worried il be disheartened if i dont get it! 

thank you, amy

• Options

Hi Amy,

I find tghat it's usually the heat that slows me down more than anything.  I could easily add 10 or 15 minutes to my time cos its always been blazing hot.

• Options

Hiya, Amy, Run Like The Wind and all

Yes, the heat, I bet it will be hot guys.  So baseball cap, if you can stand wearing one, for me my army style baseball cap is a life saver, running bottle; little sips and sun cream; high factor! And we will be fine. 

I ran the Thame 10K in 2009 on 28th June 2009 and it must have been the hottest day ever!!  There was only one water station and hundreds didn't finish.  I saw a man on the path, being treated with oxygen by a paramedic, it really frighten me.  So we all need to take care of ourselves.  Plenty to drink the night before as well!!.  Sarah image

• Options

Sarah

Plenty to drink the night before?  Make mine a Guinness please image

• Options

Hee hee!! Make mine a Bud Andy, cheers!!  image.........

I've been invited out the night before too d'oh, my netball team are going out for a knees up, but need my beauty sleep, so declined, hee hee!!! Sarah image

• Options

Apparently it's good to hydrate extra for several days before. I'll be awash!

Sarah - Thame was hot this year too !  It had been so chilly prior to that day aswell.

Off to London next weekend for the British 10K. I love running the streets of London (it's a power thing - stopping the traffic in our capital) image

• Options

Theres always one thats gotta bring alcohol into itimage Andy!!

Apparently July is NOT gonna be hot so we`ll be fine!!!

• Options

Hi MM

Next it'll be bacon sandwichesimage

• Options
    Now that i could manage!
  • Options
    Hiya all!! I've had three hot dogs, how bad is that!!! hee hee and chips (and roasted parsnips in honey, yum yum), but have done an eight mile run today in the wind, sun and bit of rain, new PB of 90.03!!  My number has arrived 1085.....and I've got a printing firm to do me a t-shirt with a picture of my late father and the British Lung Foundation logo, running number on the back, date and my name AT NO COST, for the exchange of having their logo on the t-shirt for advertising; how nice is that.  Well if you don't ask, you don't get.  I asked a few companies, some didn't even reply, some said that they would do it at cost price, as they get loads of requests, which is understandable.  Out tomorrow with my Son for a Beaver Scout Hike up the woods with picnic.  Take care all.......It has gone a bit quiet on the forum, hope someone chit chats back soon.  Let me know how your training is going etc.... 
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I have a place available for this race if anynone is interested? I am no longer able to run. I was placed in the 2nd wave starting at 10.15am and I also have a coach ticket for Windsor to Marlow. Please let me know if you're interested!
  • Options

Sarah - that's very impressive - both your feast, and you getting printing for free.

I managed a slow (v slow) ten miles on Sunday, hope to do a similar distance this weekend.image

Got my number through and assume I'm in the second wave.......

• Options

I am not in this year but ran this the previous few years. In 2010 my time was 20 minutes slower than the previous year due to the heat. In 2009 I got a PB so it is a quick course - weather permitting.

Good luck to all that are running this year.

• Options

Hiya Andyp!  I am so happy and excited about the t-shirt.  It has been printed and I'll be collecting on Friday.  I am getting so excited.  Training is going well.  Planning a 10 mile run Friday and that will be my final long distance run.  Did a quick 3 miles last night with a PB of 29:45, so please with that, as shaved a whole minute off my last time.  Been for an 9.5 bike ride tonight, swimming tomorrow and netball.  Next week I'll take it easy with just a few 3 mile runs and a bit of swimming!!

So Andyp, what time did you do your 10 miles in on Sunday?  And what is your number?  Does it start 10XX, like mine?  What is your target for 24th? So many questions, hee hee....... I'm hoping for under 2hours 30 mins and hope to finish 400 or higher......setting my goals high hee hee. ............

Hiya On the Rails... thanks for the good luck message.  What have you got planned for the rest of the year??  image

• Options

Hi Sarah

My 10 miles was around 2 hours.  I don't tend to time myself but I went out at about 6 and got back at 8.

My number is 1297. Last year my time at this event was 2:45 but the heat killed me so I was walking by 10 miles.  I've done more training this year so fingers crossed.

I'm doing 5k Thurs eve (race in London), 10 on Friday and Park Run Saturday.  That'll probably be it for me...

• Options

Hi Andyp

That's good. 

I ran today and it went all wrong at 8 miles, loads of things I need to remember for next week.  But still getting excited.  Collected t-shirt today.  So hopefully Dad being with me will help loads and the £174.00 that I've raised.

All the best for next week, take it easy and good luck for the race. image

• Options
    If only the weather would be like this!!!!
  • Options

Not so great for a picnic after but  I`ll take cool and rainy anyday!

• Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  Yesterday, wasn't even that hot and it made me feel ill, together with the other failings yesterday.. Anyway I know where I went wrong yesterday that is the main things.  All the best x
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I have a place in next week's "Down Tow..." but can no longer race due to injury and subsequent lack of training! If anyone would like my place please drop me a message - I'm in Wave 2 starting at 10.15. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hiya AshleighB, sorry hear that you are injured and unable to run on Sunday.  Hope you can get someone to take your number and give you the fee.  Take care, Sarah x
  • Options
    Thank you Sarah. Am a bit gutted to miss it - did it last year and thought it was a great race (and nice and flat!). But haven't run more than 6 miles in the last few months so think it's sensible to give it a miss. Good luck for it!
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Ashleigh.

Agree with you MM about the weather.  Cool and drizzly would suit me!!!

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Anyone know of a decent pub within reasonable walking distance of the finish as I'm trying to meet up with a mate afterwards?
  • Options

Hi,

This is my first tow path run, i have run the wokingham and windsor half marathons in the last 12 months. Both runs i was sent a chip through the post to record the time.

I did not receive one with my pack for this run. Can someone please let me know what the score is with this run?

As i said i've only ever run 2 races and had chips with both of these.

Cheers!

• Options

I don't recall there being a chip for this one previously.  Loads still don't though they are becoming more popular.  I just time myself with a Garmin.  Do you have one?

Haven't done much trainingimage but this is such a lovely route that I shall enjoy it anyway.

• Options
    There is a good pub, on the corner and near the river, within 1/4 mile of the finish.  Can't remember the name but worth a look.................
  • Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Thanks Andy, I'll try and track it down image