Options

Fleet Pre-London Half-Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    hehehe - nice one flighty!
  • Options

1.31 here on dead legs.. Pleased but that felt a tough ol' course

Good fun down the high street, not an amazing start through all the suburban stuff but some nice drags around.

• Options

Pleased with a manageable 1:42 today. FIve minutes shy of my PB (GNR 2010) but I didn't want to push too hard, four weeks from the VLM. Simple enough course, with some great support.

Awesome few miles running with these Army guys, smashing world records for running in Army boots, carrying back packs. I'd have followed them to Afghanistan....

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2088930_trio_gear_up_to_break_halfmarathon_records

• Options

1.36.25 for me - chuft with that - 2nd pb in two weeks - there was nothing on the course which you could identify it as hard but it definitely a tough run!

^ those army guys were tough as! all the respect in the world!

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Random post but interesting how a few people (on the ratings for the event) have said the course wasn't a PB potential course - even though records were broken and PBs set by loads of people and the winners......

Hmmm anyway, will be running this again next year, such a lovely place to do a race. My finishing picture is horrific though! image

• Options
    I have done Fleet about 7 times now and was looking forward to a better start. I did a get a PB for Fleet but not a PB overall. I was about 80 seconds quicker at Brighton Half last month. I thought the beginning was a bit of a shambles. They really needed a 'start' sign to run under as I couldn't tell where the start was at all. The signs for estimated completion times were way too low and small and as we were all made to walk forwards I ended up moving form 1;45 (realistic) to 1;30 (I wish!). However the first 2 miles I was stuck behind 10 min/milers. I did prefer the course though, especially the end coming through the village rather than by the school which I often find tough. That slight hilly bit though just before mile 13 was a bit nasty. I did 1.45,59 officially which I'm fairly pleased with. Would have liked to have been a minute and a half quicker really. I could blame the crappy start or I could just get over it image
  • Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I know what you mean about the start but I didn't find it too difficult to get past people, just amazes me how dopey first timers can be! That last hill was rather unplesant but i do like a good hill! 

• Options

What a top 1/2!

Really smoothly run. Enough runners without it being too busy (a la Reading). Picturesque moments mixed with fantastic local supporters who seemed genuinely happy to be playing hosts to the event.
    I thought the course was prob too undulating to set out for a PB, but it didn't take away from the enjoyment.
    One negative: cups of water??... if you managed to catch one on the run, you prob couldn't consume more than 50% of the water. Are water bottles too expensive / environmentally unfriendly?

I aim to be back next year.

• Options

I had the pleasure of running behind Cpt. Stoddart for a fair distance - I could see him (and hear him!) from when we went under the railway along Pale Lane, and only caught up with him as we got into Crookham Village. Awesome - apparently he's a PT instructor in the paras so I heard someone say (?)

What was nearly impressive was his mate who spent the whole race bellowing in his ear words of encouragement presumably all the way round - my wife said he was bellowing at him all three times they passed her - being able to run a 1:37 half marathon shouting at the top of your voice every few seconds also requires superhuman efforts in my book!