Options

Saturday 28th June 2003

with you runners out there?

Comments

• Options
    I will probably do an hour XC as a rest before my Half on Sunday (Humber Bridge)
  • Options
    Morning will do 4 miles am and 3 pm with strides as a sharpener before the Humber Bridge half.

Maybe a bike ride this afternoon as well.
  • Options
    Hello all,

What: 6M steady pm
    Why: Easy week & after two days rest in a row! I need some exercise!

Good luck recers this weekend especially all those doing the Norths Downs 30K. Take it easy to begin with & enjoy.
  • Options
    Bonjourno,

What - recovery run
    Why - hard tomorrow and hard yesterday

Have a great weekends running.
  • Options
    YIKES! 11.5 miles of Cotswold Way Relay, starts at 11.18 today! Scary! It is still too hot to be racing up hills!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Good lukc happyrunning, sounds like a lot of fun!

Good luck also to Steady and BR at Humber Bridge tomorrow!!

Well, i've tried my back out with 3 miles at fast pace and it felt fine so as long as it's stays that way today I'll be at the start line tomorrow!

Now all I want is overcast weather or rain and a low pollen count!!
  • Options
    Morning.

What: Probably nothing ( but may do a short 3-4 miles if I get time.

Why: Resting before tomorrows North Downs 30k, not sure how im going to take this run.

Last Hard: Thursday

Last Rest: Yesterday

Enjoy the weekend and happy racing.
  • Options
    morning girls and boys

today: upper body weight training only resting for nd30k

last hard was thursday and last rest friday

good luck to everybody involved with either running / watching or marshalling a race this weekend
  • Options
    Thanks hilly, I am sure you will be fine.
  • Options
    Hello chaps I am off out on my bike- but will it be a fast effort to justify wearing full matching team Lampre kit, or will it be slow so I wear any old thing?
  • Options
    Morning everyone and good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

What: am 6 miles running @ 10 mile pace done, pm 12 miles easy cycling.
    Why: Scheduled
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Tuesday
  • Options
    Morning,

Likewise good wishes to all racers, can we have your time predictions for the Humber half please.

North Downs 30K sounds tough.

MikeS, can't imagine what sub6min miles must feel like!

What: 12 miles off road.
    Why: part of LDWA event, but needed to be back by 11. Perfect temperature for running, sunny and breezy.
    Last hardish: last night's tempo run,
    Last rest: last Friday.

Look forward to your race reports. And glad your back's OK Hilly.
  • Options
    Don't really know about Humber times, Laura. They talk about a big hill and some climbs but these don't really bother me.

One big unknown is the wind. The bridge is often closed to vehicles when it's windy so that could come into play.

On a calm day:-

Sub 1:16 - dreamland
    1:16-1:16.24 - pb, can't believe it on this course

1:16.25 - 1:17 - a good effort, really pleased with that

1:17 - 1:18 - a good run

1:18-1:19 - par for the course

1:19 to 1:20 - not brilliant but not a disaster

1:20 plus - v. disappointed.

More importantly its our club championship half, and I'd love to beat our two high class vets I pipped last week, also some runners from the Hull area I've had some battles with in the past.

Steady, what will you be wearing? I'll be in a fetching bright blue vest bearing the legend `Barnsley AC' in red.
  • Options
    Monique, so many problems!
  • Options
    barsleyrunner, your v. dissappointed would be my elated. I got a pb there last year of 1:33 so am trying for sub 1:30 (again!)

I will be in Ronhill lime green shorts and vest and wearing the number 52. I would say drag me round but your times are a tad quick for me.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

So what was it, Monique?

What: 4 miles. Started off pretty horrible, opted for a shorter route not wishing to have to abort far from home but after 20 minutes legs felt quite happy, so finished well.

Anybody else find it can take that long to get going?

Hilly, glad back continues to make progress.

Guts better - it appears there's a simple solution (double up on the Lossec) and it's nothing new.

Racers all run well. I think running is a terrific sport precisely because BR, Steady and I could take part in the same race, BR come home happy with 1:17, Steady happy with 1:30, and me happy to come home at all. What other game suits all players so well?
  • Options
    Golf perhaps using a handicapping system?

Took me 10 mins to stop feeling sluggish this morning.
  • Options
    Cricket even. If you're the worst player in the team just making up the numbers it can still be you stops that vital run / takes the vital catch or edges the winning single down to third man.

BR, not being pedantic, just tossing round an interesting question raised by Stickless.
  • Options
    Stickless, most of the time I find it difficult to get going. When I get to 20 minutes things start to get better. Don't worry!

Start slowly and keep it slowly until legs feel OK, then you can go faster. Good luck!
  • Options
    Afternoon All,
    very best of luck to all weekend racers, looking forward to the reports.

What: 32M bike @ 20.1 mph average.
    Why: Bit of x-training on Saturday.
    Last hard run: Thursday
    Last rest day: Friday

Had a great ride this morning with 3 of us out, rode a clockwise-rotating paceline round the whole route which made a huge difference to how hard the ride seemed, i.e. felt much easier than usual. Unfortunately, one chap took a spill rounding a corner and deposited a not insignificant amount of skin on the asphalt, he's a real trooper though, jumped straight up, made some comment about how he'll really look the part just in time for the start of the Tour and was off, quick as a flash.
  • Options
    Afternoon all

What: 22mi bike ride - not nearly as fast as Marmite Master though - I think I need to invest in a road bike
    Why: training for triathlon at end of July
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: Sun
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

What: After a few days away down in SE Turkey where running was not really feasible a 12 km run to blow the cobwebs away. This followed similar 10km last night

Why: Long run tommorrow then into 16 week marathon training programme on Monday

Last hard: Thursday night's speed intervals

Last rest: Wednesday

Good luck to all those racing tommorrow

Simon
  • Options
    Yipeeeeeeee! I'm back and achieved my 11.5 mile leg 6 mins inside cut off time(1:53) and 20 mins faster than my recce of route last weekend!!!! I am over moon about this, only got a tiny bit lost towards the end!

So, 50 people gathered at Painswick, most looking like "real runners" and I was getting nervous. Organisers ran through the "rules" one of which was that getting lost was part of the spirit of the race so I felt bit better! 11.18 am - off we went - uphill start and did my usual trick - TOO FAST so v exhausted at top of first hill! Still, kept at it, all undulating and managed to ease into a rythym, carried on accross golf course, more hills! V quickly field spread and not many people to follow so had to keep checking Cotswold Way signs. No real idea of how I'm doing as no marshalls and no mile markers . Just feels fast, hot and hilly! Down and through Painswick Village, lots of strange enquiring looks from the tourists! Back onto trails and more uphill......and more then crikey! Only one mile to Haresfield Beacon - roughly half way, but a MASSIVE climb. Learnt a lesson - power walking works! Got to Beacon 1:0:2:45, this is GOOD! Last weeks recce it was 1:0:9 so surged onwards.....all downhill now!! Felt much better in shade of woods, caught up to some others who overtook me earlier and pressed onward. Out of woods, could see Ebley Mill and the finish, down across lots of fields and nettles! OUCH! Didn't care! Sun beaming down, scorching hot, but I'm going to achieve that cut off time....Ooops! Wrong turn! Down hill and over a stile, can't be bothered to go back up hill so close to home! Screamed at poor unsuspecting lady washing her car "How do I get out of this housing estate?!! (I'm a Runner - get me out of here!!)She kindly pointed me in the right direction, Got my bearings now, right place wrong side of canal! OH S**T!! Remember the rule!! Getting lost is part of the spirit of the event! So what do I do? On the flat now, and feeling strong - head for the finish line from the wrong side of canal.....so what?! Same distance, so off I go and there is much hilarity as my fellow club members see me arrive from wrong direction mixed with cheers as they see my time!!I will be continually teased re this as Stroud is my "local" town! Timekeeper very accepting, thankyou SOOOOOO much, I am thrilled to bits and this is a great race which I'd love to do again next year! No doubt I'll get lost in a different place, but what the heck!!
  • Options
    Well done hr, sounds like a great event.
  • Options
    Great report happyrunning sounds like some great countryside!
  • Options
    Great run HR, rather you than me.
  • Options
    happyrunning now veryhappyrunning
  • Options
    HR, awesome stuff, CONGRATS ;-)