Options

Putter or a leaver?

I was watching a stand up show on TV the other day, and the commedian said that there are two types of people in the world. People who always put stuff away and people who leave stuff lying around.

Now I was pretty convinced I was a putter (I think of myself as a tody person), but when my boyfriend questioned me as to where my car keys were I had to confess I'd left them in the kitchen after carrying the shopping in.

Apparently you don't get two putters or two leavers in the same relationship, someone has to be the putter and someone has to be the leaver. So which one are you?

Comments

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Usually a leaver but indulge in putting when my other half (usually a putter) slips into leaving mode.
  • Options

Oh, I'm definitely a leaver.

Did anybody see that program "Who does what?" last night

with that insane woman hoovering round her husband while he tried to watch television

despite the fact that they have cleaners who'd already hoovered there?

• Options

I think I'm a leaver.

But I think he's a leaver too??  Well judging by the randomly dropped boxers, socks, kit etc I would suggest he is...

I'm a worse leaver in my house than his...  I do do some putting in his place... image

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I'm a leaver, I'm afraid. The theory is rubbish though cos MS is also a leaver, just not quite as bad as me!
  • Options

I am most definately a leaver

I actually don't know how to put stuff away and struggle tidying past a certain point because I just can't think where some things SHOULD or COULD go

• Options
    Slugsta wrote (see)
    I'm a leaver, I'm afraid. The theory is rubbish though cos MS is also a leaver, just not quite as bad as me!
    Yeah that kind of sums us up too...  Generally he's a bit better than me.  I could live in a complete slum...  He's more likely to get the hoover out than me... but then I hang the washing up neater than him... image
  • Options
    I'm a putter - which is just as well as i live in a family of leavers - we'd be up to our oxters in stuff if I didn't put stuff away! image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I just googled it and it turns out it was Jon Richardson who was talking about it on Live At The Apollo. Someone wrote about it on their blog, they helped me sum me up more - I'm a leaver at heart but try hard to be a putter. Unfortunately I'm too set in my ways & keep reverting back to being a leaver. image
  • Options
    I'm a leaver, as it MrANTB. I have a tidying fit every now and then though, when apparently, I sigh loudly and dramatically while making a big deal of the fact I'm doing a wee bit of tidying.
  • Options
    I do infrequent big tidies as well and then vow to keep it like this, cos I actually LIKE it tidy...  but it never lasts... image
  • Options
    k8greene wrote (see)
    I just googled it and it turns out it was Jon Richardson who was talking about it on Live At The Apollo. Someone wrote about it on their blog, they helped me sum me up more - I'm a leaver at heart but try hard to be a putter. Unfortunately I'm too set in my ways & keep reverting back to being a leaver. image
    snap................I so want to be a putter but revert to type...........image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I can't stand clutter or mess so I try to tidy as I go along but it just seems that there is always so much stuff to remember to put back!
  • Options
    I do try and have been very good recently in that my bedroom is tidy without me reverting to kicking half the house under the bed - little steps
  • Options
    I tell myself that I will be better when the kids leave homeimage
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I do try to keep the house tidy but since getting the puppy there are an endless stream of toys lying around and she likes to re-arrange her bed in the living room at times.
  • Options
    Nam wrote (see)
    I do infrequent big tidies as well and then vow to keep it like this, cos I actually LIKE it tidy...  but it never lasts... image
    This is exactly like me. I like everything to have a set place, but things don't always end up there. I periodocally look round the house and realise my stuff is everywhere! OH and I are both leavers which doesn't help,which kinda disputes the theory.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Can you be a bit of both?  I'm definitely a putter in the kitchen and bathroom, because I like being able to clean them easily, but in the rest of the house, there are a lot of things that have been lying around for a long time in the "wrong" place. 

I have to tidy up the lounge every night - having a toddler means tripping hazards are everywhere within 10 mins of her getting home from nursery.  But most stuff just gets put somewhere out of the way, rather than necessarily where it should live.

I've been promising to have a major de-clutter since I got pregnant - so make space for baby stuff/toys etc., and get more organised (I spend a lot of time looking for things that do have a "home" but aren't there).  Nearly 3.5 years on, I still haven't done more than filling the odd bag for the charity shop.

And don't get me started on the piles of bills/bank statements/Important Documents that are in every cupboard in the house.

One day....................

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Generally I'm a putter, but I have lapses during which I'm a leaver. Always a putter in the kitchen though image
  • Options
    I'm a leaver, Mrs is the putter. I can never find anything!
  • Options

I'm a putter, that way I know where my stuff is.

Trouble is my wife thinks it should be somewhere else, so she double puts it image

• Options
    I pride myself on being a putter and not losing things but at the moment cannot find my house keys although I'm sure I put them on the kitchen side image.  Perhaps the OH who is a definite leaver has left them somewhere.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'm mostly a putter - I don't mind a few things lying around but I hate a mess.

I usually know where things are when I want them, which is great - until something ISN'T where it should be, then I have no idea of where to start looking.

My OH is most definitely a leaver.  But we don't live together, so he can be as untidy as he likes. image

• Options

I think I'm a putter... in that everything has a place and I know where it is... but I seem to have so much stuff and not enough 'places', everywhere still looks a bit of a mess... so anyone walking into my house would probably assume I'm a leaver.image

• Options
    I'm mostly a putter but fight against the stream of leavers who I live with.
  • Options

This thread is quite apt as OH has just spent last hour and a half searching for his passport. If only we were putters he'd know where it was image

edited for typos

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Shiny - thanks for the reminder re: passport. I've left mine in my bag since going to the bank at the weekend and haven't put it back yet!

• Options

I'm a putter however the OH thinks i'm a leaver.

Of course only i know where things should be or go. So if i can't find something its because she has left it in the wrong place obvious really image

• Options

I used to be a total leaver, but since me and Mr Saffy got together, I've had to become a putter as he is naturally an even worse leaver than me.

I'm still a leaver in the bedroom with loads of stuff shoved under the bed and piles of clothes everywhere image, but am an obsessive putter in the kitchen. I also thought I was a putter in the rest of the house, but have just looked round the lounge and.....oops.....90% of the stuff out of place is mine. Hmm......

Edited for carp spellling

• Options
    I'm a leaver ... always have been and it's too late to cure me now.  Strangely enough I very rarely lose anything as I seem to remember where things were left.
  • Options

image I read once that if you're really untidy but still know where everything is, it's a sign of genius image

I read it on teletext so it must be true image