Options

How long to recover from stomach bug?

I have been struck down with a norovirus type bug for last few days, which has left me a bit drained and have lost weight (am already underweight and a bit anaemic). However, I am training for a half-marathon on 20th March and don't want to miss too much training as very keen to get in under 2 hours (PB 02:03:55). Think I am over the worst now but appetite still poor and food intake pretty low.

How long do I need to recover? Should I go to track training on Thursday or rest until Parkrun on Saturday?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I would rest until Saturday! It really does zap your energy for days!!!

I had suspected Norovirus in November, it started on a Monday and I tried to run on Thursday, I was exhausted and ended up walking most of it, even that was a struggle and i didn't enjoy it at all!

• Options

Went down with this in the early hours of Wednesday morning. I ran on the treadmill on Friday, and was truly knackered afterwards and slept for 3 hours - I think it was a bit too soon.

Ran again on Saturday and once again crashed out for 3 hours.

Rested Sunday and just completed a 15 miler tonight.

It felt harder and was a little slower than usual but I think gentle trainining, limited mileage and lots of sleep can do it.

If you havent eaten much, remember that you havent got much "in the tank"! Treat it as an opportunity to rest and come back stronger

You'll still be ok for March 20th I'd say.