Options

Pain on front of right foot

I get this occasionally during a run. An ache/sore on the front of my right foot, kind of just at the angle where the foot meets the leg. Anyone know what this could be or how I could avoid it? I'm thinking there's some sort of tendon there maybe? It only seems to be on the right foot and appears after maybe 5-10 minutes of a run.

Comments

• Options

Yes, there are tendons there. My first thought, since you say it's only sometimes, is whether your shoe laces or the tongue of your ruinning shoes are pressing on the tendons somehow? I used to have that problem on the tendons a bit lower down the foot - check that first. In my experience, once it's sore from the pressure, it gets extra-sensitive (the technical term is hyperalgesia) and may hurt from even a little bit of pressure.

If it is pressure, try looking at exactly how your laces and the tongue of your shoe are placed - it may just be when the tongue of your shoe slips a bit to one side. If necessary, you could think about getting e.g. some podiatrists felt and sticking a piece on with a hole over the tender area, to prevent pressure there.

If that's not it, then a bit of tendonitis would be the next thing to think about - with the usual RICE treatment.

• Options
    I had exactly the same experience, and how silly I felt when I realised it was my laces that I had been pulling too tight!  As a beginner I thought I had to almost bolt my feet into my trainers, so after I was told, very diplomatically by a running friend, loosen your laces - hey presto problem solved!
  • Options
    Loosening the laces! Thinking about it, that could well be the problem, I do put them on fairly tightly. I'll try that when I go for a run later (if it ever stops raining). Thanks!