Options

London Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

ballot could open anytime after midnight. my guess is that it will something like 5am.

its a fairly long application and you have to choose 5 charities from a drop down menu that you might be interested in raising money for. these charities will then spam you non-stop.  you can choose whether to donate your entry fee in the event that you are unsuccessfull. i think you also have to sign for for a website called realbuzz.com who are official partners. other that that its the usual questions. oh and your estimated finish time. and if you have run a marathon before and what was your best time. also have you been unsuccessfull in any recent ballots if so how many times.

the site will be really busy. i guess since today is a bank holiday the site may not open till late morning. there is no way of knowing. it will close once they reach 120,000 applicants. those 120,000 then go into the ballot. i got in viaa golden bond charity place this year. had to raise £1,500 for the charity. it was fine but i wouldn't go round asking the same people again next year for sponsorship. if i don't get a ballot place i am not taking a charity place.

• Options
    01:00

Logged on at midnight, still getting message "2012 entry open soon - If you'd like to register for a place in next year's VLM, our online ballot opens on 26 April 2011"

Last year the ballot opened just after midnight.

I'll give it 10 more minutes...

Still I got to watch new Dr.Who whilst waiting...
  • Options

Eagerly waiting too! The advantage of working nights! Dr Who was fab wasnt it/. Cant wait for next episode!

• Options

Still no show. Missed Dr Who. Missed recording it. Missed Pond! REALLY missed Pond.

Can't wait to give VLM/FLM some paperwork again!

• Options

Thanks to all those who gave advice- it opened about 20 mins ago and I got in on the overseas ballot. It's a long wait to be rejected.... but at least I got to enter.

• Options
    No it didn't open 20mins before you posted, it's still not open.
  • Options
    Stephen RStephen R ✭✭✭

Just entered the British ballot.  No problems at all.  It says tick "up to six" charities. If you do you'll get spammed by them so don't tick any.

Good luck everyone.

• Options

Hi there lardarse- umm it did open when I said it did... maybe click on the link that says enter the 2012 race on the home page- which I clicked on and entered when it opened at about 01:30. Sorry you are having such trouble getting in but it has been open for 1 hour and a half now. Hope you get in. Good luck!

• Options

I have registered, I put my entry fee to charity so I think that means i go through to another ballot if I am unsuccessful in the first one. It all seems very confusing at this time of night!

Good luck everyone and fingers crosssed.

• Options

All done. Roll on October!

• Options
    me too and almost a good night's sleep first
  • Options
    05:55

Signed in OK for me & the wife. Looking forward to the nice rejection mag in October.

Ian image)
  • Options

6.10am

Signed hubby in, it didn't ask for realbuzz username to be confirmed (as he is already registered) so now I am worried it didn't work. Which is stupid because it said step 4 "Thank you for entering..." and gave a ref number.

Now I just hope hubby doens't get too proactive and sign himself up

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    all done as well - not to do the same as last year and sign up to Paris in case then end up getting in and doing both - might be a good luck omen!
  • Options
    Signed up - haven't got my email confirming but from what I remember from last year that didn't arrive for a couple of days!
  • Options

Signed up - maybe this will be the year I get in........am not allowing myself to hope too much though!  Very excited!

• Options
    step 4 didn't really seem like a step at all!
  • Options
    signed up again! Hubby lucky in 2010, sister in 2011 - when will it be trigirl's year image
  • Options

That was easy

have signed up for me and Mr FE

• Options
    Signed up, This will be my first time if i get in!
  • Options
    YAYYYY! I'm excited. I haven't got a confirmation e-mail yet, either, Priscilla.
  • Options
    mine confirmation email came straight away- but I am in the overseas ballot. could be different timing.
  • Options
    mine was in the uk ballot and I also got confirmation email straight away...
  • Options

I've just got my application in! 3rd time lucky I hope.

I ran Paris 2 weeks ago and that was a great run. Far too hot but can't blame that on the organisation, It was very easy to enter as they make available all of the places rather than giving half to charity, so I had my place confirmed immediately.

• Options

Hi there lardarse- umm it did open when I said it did... maybe click on the link that says enter the 2012 race on the home page- which I clicked on and entered when it opened at about 01:30. Sorry you are having such trouble getting in but it has been open for 1 hour and a half now. Hope you get in. Good luck!

• Options
    Hi all,
    I have just entered the ballot for the london marathon. I have never run any race before, so it is my first time.I have wanted to do it for so long but never got round to applying before. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if a year will be enough for me to train and get ready for the marathon, and also how likely it is that i will get picked for the race (i.e. does anyone have any idea about number of applications vs number of places?)

Any tips for a complete beginner?

p.s. I got my confirmation pretty much straight away.
  • Options
    I got my confirmation email straight away but my husband hasn't had his!
  • Options
    I don't think you should read too much into that... last year on here some people got it straight away and others didn't. I was one that did (like this time round) and I was still a ballot reject image lol
  • Options

MM, a year is quite enough.

Entered, email in about 10 seconds. The spam got there even earlier!

• Options
    Manisha Majithia:

A year is enough time. My personal advice is don't wait until October to start running, start now. That way you can start slowly and build up over a long period of time. It's a lot less intimidating and a lot less likely to result in injury. There are 'Couch to 5K' training schedules for beginners, here is one:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

That will get you running 5K. Then you can enter into a 5K race. Check www.parkrun.com for local free 5K weekly races around the UK. Then you can look at doing a 10K.. again training for that. And then you can begin training for a Half Marathon.. and finally, if you're lucky enough to get in the ballot, the London Marathon. Or another Marathon like Brighton.

Take advantage of the nicer weather, the lighter nights and start running over the summer. It's much better than getting to October and starting then, because the weather is bad, the nights are dark, Christmas soon arrives.. and before you know it, you're starting from scratch in January with a bit of a mountain to climb. It's not an impossible mountain, many people do it each year, but you can make it so much easier on yourself by starting now and building up slowly.

Good luck. image