Options

Coniston 14+

2»

Comments

• Options

Folks - I too have a place going.

I entered it mistakenly believing the race was on the 3rd!! 

It's definitely too far for me in my build up to VLM.

Mail me if you want it.

• Options
    Ric Starkie wrote (see)
    Weather forecast is for temperatures of around 17c.....its going to be a hot one!
    Any information on the water stations?
  • Options
    BBC are now saying max temp will be 18C on Saturday, think I will be running with a water bottle, never done this before as I am new to this running game but I cant see any problems. Details on the water stations are in the info that came with your number
  • Options

Looking forward to this although i'm not as fit as last year

Going to be a bit on the warm side image

• Options
    Denis Duret wrote (see)
    Ric Starkie wrote (see)
    Weather forecast is for temperatures of around 17c.....its going to be a hot one!
    Any information on the water stations?
    Cant remember exactly but there was plenty of bottled water last year
  • Options
    Water stations will be at Tover(3miles), Water Yeat(6miles) Nibthwaite(9miles) and Beck Leven(13.5 miles)
  • Options
    Thanks. I won't be running with a bootle but I will make sure I drink enough before the start and I won't miss any water station.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if we can leave an event review on RW for the Coniston 14+ today??

God it was good fun.....
  • Options

You usually can Scott but neither this years or last years Coniston 14 plus has an event listing so there is nowhere to review it alas.

Rather warm out today wasn't it, hotter than Metcheck claimed. Ended up taking it easy and coming in a little under 3 hours, a few mins slower than last years.

• Options
    Wow! that was a hot one image image image...... people keeling over all over the place....... the ambulances were busy!  I decided to take it easy like you Keith, stayed under the trees where i could and attended a bloke at about mile 14.5 who'd collapsed and then another one at the finish.  Well organised race though - glad I carried water to pour over my head and the water stations were plentiful.  Pretty achey this morning! image  Well done to the sub 2 hr finishers..... are you lot immune to 24 deg heat?? LOL!
  • Options
    SNAP, it was baking. First time I did Coniston and managed a 2:39:17, but damn the heat killed me, especially being slightly larger than your average bear.......

Absolutely brilliantly organised race!!!

The ladies in the school had every sandwich and snack you could want and they tasted great.

A perfect day out, picnics everywhere, fabulous.

Excellent folks at the water stations and it was so good to see so many youngsters helping out too. The locals were always cheering regardless where you were in the race.

I wish all the best to the guy's and girl's who struggled, hope to see you there next year.

A huge well done to everyone taking part and all the organisers.
  • Options
    How did those who are doing the VLM next week get on? ok?
  • Options
    I managed 2 46 so I was pleased with that. It was a lovely day as usual I saw a few people who are running next week. It was very hot but we had a lovely picnic by te lake after with the kids and dogs and a little snooze. A fab race well organised so friendly all the village seem to get involved. I noticed a few bad tempered drivers around the course trying to pass which  cant say I've noticed other years but other than that I would recommend it to anyone. Way to go dangermouse have fun at in London!
  • Options

Seriously well done Nurse Gladys. For someone who was taking it steady, that's an excellent time! Especially given the heat, hills and distance! Glad you enjoyed it. Looking good for London.

I can never understand impatient motorists! Is someone elses well being or safety less important than getting from A to B! I'm sure they aren't inconvenienced by a race all that often!

I played it safe and did a Ron Hill Breakfast Run (3 miles) on Saturday and the Air Products 10K today. I definately plan to do the Coniston next year though. 

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Lovely day, wonderful scenery and a well-organised race. Well done to everyone taking part and thanks to all the volunteers. I'd never run more than a half-marathon and was pleased with my time of 2hr 26m. A great experience.
  • Options

Thank you PQ

Well done Graham thats a fantastic time! It's back to 14 miles next year so it should be a walk in the park.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Cheers Nurse Gladys. I gather from Plod Queen's comments that you're doing London next week. Respect! All the best.
  • Options

Just got home from a fantasitc weekend. V V V hot for me - walked 3 miles in the second half-  and  got a crispy back, but what a beautiful race, and a great vibe

Thanks to all who organised and marshalled this and the girl who set up the extra unofficial water stop in her front drive ! 

• Options
    Absolutely G & T, the extra water station was a huge surprise.....
    and I'm sure everyone will agree that is was HUGELY WELCOME. Thanks very much, life savers.
  • Options

I'd like to thank the man in the yellow t-shirt (you know who you are) who ran in with me from the top of 'orrible Brantwood 'ill all the way into the finish.  Couldn't have done it without you - I think we were holding each other up! image  Glad it's 14 next year... by mile 14 this year i'd definately had enough but well pleased with my 2.34. Was expecting 2.45! 

• Options
    Well I made it round in 3:17, it isn't the fastest time but I am very happy with it as I only started running last October after doing no exercise for 10 years, spending quite a few of these smoking as well. Managed to run up to 13 miles then ran / walked home. Will be back next year!
  • Options
    Well done Ric that's a wonderful achievment and a great time. just think next year just 14 miles.
  • Options
    Great race. I know it was a bit warm to be running about but I was able to enjoy the lake in the afternoon with the rest of the family
  • Options

I think they should keep it at the longer distance as its more of a challengeimage

Great day out in beautiful surroundings

• Options
    I would agree with mugpunter32 about the distance. Although I would have liked to stop at the 14 miles marker on Sunday, I think that 16.7 makes it different from the other races.
  • Options

Morbid curiosity!

How did everyone who did the Coniston 14+ the week before, get on in the Virgin London Marathon?

Did it  help you cope with the heat/people or did you feel it in your legs on the day?

Did it affect your target time?

• Options

I was in London but I didn't run the London marathon (my wife did).

I did 8 miles on Monday (the day after the marathon or 9 days after Coniston) and I struggled. My legs were still tired from running the Coniston 14. I did 10 miles this morning and I felt a lot better.