Options

Tonbridge Half Marathon sponsored by Porsche

This looks a great new addition to the calendar.  Does anyone have a course map?  If not can anyone describe the course?

Comments

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

?  I almost clicked on it thinking it;d be the course map - then I read the first few words.......................

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Sponsored by Porsche. For an £18 entry fee the first prize had better be a 911!
  • Options

I'd better do this as its very local to me.

Nice testing route you have there image I train around most of it.

Going through Leigh village could be interesting with the traffic, I assume the Police are going to help as its a busy road.

• Options

Good assumption but not the case, I'm afraid.  The rules have changes and the police are no longer allowed to help with such events.  It all has to be done through Traffic Management Orders (for road closures) and by marshalls on the day.  It will be an interesting test of our organisational skills!  We are currerntly working on the management of the race through Leigh.  Kent Highways and Kent Police are giving us a lot of help and advice.  See you there!

Andy Blundell Race Director

• Options

I am wondering how undulating/hilly this course is, anyone give me clues?  Looks like it could be a nice race maybe. 

• Options

I've entered this event today, bearing in mind I've lived in Tonbridge all my life I thought it best to give it a go!

Just taken a good look round the course and thought I'd pick up on the undulating/hilly question:

Within 1/2 mile of the start is a long slow climb of a decent gradient, followed by 2 short sharp but very steep hills with the benefit of a downhill immediately after.

After a relatively flat mile or so there is a long steep climb into Leigh before a very steep downhill under the railway station into the village.

From here you head out for several miles of relatively flat nice tree covered countryside before heading back into Leigh from Hildenborough.

You then rejoin the route for a final 2-3 miles back into Tonbridge covering the same route as before...so you'll have a couple of absolute killer hills approx 10-12 miles in that will be enough to test anyone, but again you have the benefit of coming down the other side of them again.

Looks a good choice to me, the only question I really have of the course is the suitability of sending all the runners up and around molescroft way, doesn't really seem a suitable road to me and I can only assume its been included to get the distance right? 

• Options

I live in Tonbridge and I had a look at this course. I agree with Adam with regards to the hills - I don't see this as being an easy one. I am at the stage of running where predominantly flat is my best chance, so the hills involved here are a killer for me. Maybe in a couple of years time with a few more miles and challenges under my belt ....

Good luck to those that run it - will be interested in your post race reports

• Options

A Tonbridge Half.  Fantastic! 

It looks a good fun course, set to rival Tunbridge Wells and Maidstone for 'undulation'. 

Only comment at this stage is that it seems a shame it doesn't have a final sprint through town and a start and end at the castle like yesterday's Castle Ride 100 with 1,000+ cyclists.  If it did it could grow to rival Reading's finishing atmosphere in the Madjewski Staduium!

Come on Bob Colclough 2; go for it!

• Options

Grandadnohair - I am knackered from doing the bedgebury 10k on saturday, not realising how many hills would be involved there, so I think september will be far too early for me in my advancing years/running career !

But good luck to all who fancy it .

• Options

Thanks to Adam for a good description of the ups and downs of the course.  The steeper hills are quite short and the longer hill on the way out from Tonbridge is relatively gentle.  For those who prefer a flat course, this isn't, but for those who prefer a bit of variety and challenge, I think it will be a good course.  It hasn't got the long killer hill of the Tunbridge Wells Half, nor is it as flat as the Paddock Wood one.  Undulating describes it well, although the middle third, the loop round Leigh, is nice and flat.

We would have liked to have a finish through the town, but the traffic management and road closure implications of this are very considerable and we were advised to stay out of the town centre.  Brook Street provides a good long finishing straight though and I'm sure the crowds will be very enthusiastic and vociferous!

Bob - go for it!  I did Kilimanjaro back in January and I'm 64 this year - knackered when I reached the top but what a great feeling!  It will be a lovely time of the year and probably not too hot.  It's the inaugural Tonbridge Half - your chance to take part in a unique event.

• Options

Andy,

I will be 51 and I really struggled in my previous 2 half marathons, especially the run to the beat that had a nasty HILL !  I'll see how my running goes over the next 2 months, when I also have another 10k, (and after the footbal fixtures are published !) and then i'll asess how i have been doing and then decide. I agree that it would be great to be in the inaugral event, but I wouldn't want to enter  and then not complete.

I see that the online entries finish on sept 23 - is there a limit to the number of entrants ?

• Options

Bob Colclough 2

You're 51?  You are a mere stripling of a youth!  image

I didn't start running until 3 years ago when I was 56.  Sure it wasn't easy to get into it, but now I'm doing around 20 miles a week and 7 or 8 events a year.  I'm certainly not fast (PBs are anly 57 min 10k; 2:10 Half Marathon; and 5:59 for the 2010 London Marathon), but I do my best and go out to enjoy myself, not to kill myself.  My current ambition is to get into the London Marathon in 2012, when I will be 60, and get round in under 4:30!

I'll be running Tonbridge with my two daughters and possibly even my son and my wife if they can be persuaded - the whole family.  It'll be fantastic! image

So come on, go for it!  We'll meet you on the start line!

• Options

Andy

I suspected that was the reason for not going through town.  But then, this is only the first year.  Maybe in the future as the run grows in fame and popularity?

Thanks for all the hard work I'm sure you're doing.  We're looking forward to it image

• Options

Grandadnohair,

Your 10k and half pb's are still a lot better than mine ! But I am hoping to improve. Maybe in 10 years I might be able to keep up with you !

I'll wait and see how I do over the next couple of months, and If I am improving (Endurance, not really bothered about super fast times although some time improvement would be appreciated !) then I will most likely line up alongside you ! image

• Options

Bob -

We are limiting the race to 1000 entrants and we are up to 529 as of this morning.  Don't leave it too long to decide whether to enter!

• Options

Andy, is the limit definately 1000 ? 

There are other sites contracting this, eg the run britain website and the good run guide say 2000?   

I was holding back from entering as I dont usually enter races until a few weeks before, and not sure what commitments/other races i'm doing around that time.  However, if the limit is only 1000  I will probably have to make a decision now as the entries are nearly up to 700.

Thanks.

• Options
    Hi Gareth

The limit this year will definitely be 1000. The two sites you mention carry erroneous information which we are trying to update but are having a few problems. Thanks for alerting me to the problem

My advice is don't leave it too late to apply!

• Options
    Good Run Guide now updated!

Andy

• Options
    Can't wait for this one. I don't know the course (although I am only in T Wells so I will look at it soon) but it sounds perfect - challenging but interesting.

We are really lucky in this area to have so many quality half marathons - T Wells, Paddock Wood, Dartford and Hastings - and now Tonbridge. I am so pleased to see that this is being really well supported and looks like it will reach the 1,000 max entrants.
  • Options
    Has anyone done a map showing the elevation changes of the course? If so could you post it?..will be my first race since may when i ran the great ocean road in oz which was a killer! Hoping its not so undulating.

Good luck everyone, see you on the start line
    Andy
  • Options

As my husbands business is in Tonbridge I thought it my duty to take part in this one. I hope a few of our customers will come and cheer me on. I did Paddockwood & Bewl this year so hope I don't struggle on this one. My secret weapon is I have my trainer with me to keep me going.

Best wishes to all those taking part

Amanda

• Options

I'm having problems obtaining a sponsorship pack so that I can raise some funds for the Kent Air Ambulance. I have been waiting and waiting and have e-mailed Andy but heard nothing.

I really want to help raise some funds as the air ambulance contributed to the saving of my sisters life this year and it would be a Thank You from me and my family.

Come on I have paid my entry fee so don't let the sponsors down when someone is keen to help.

Amanda

• Options
    oh no image, I came on here to try and find out about the course profile, hoping it would be flat-ish and I could improve on my time for my only other Half-Marathon, in Datford in July (which was quite hilly). Sounds like its going to be just as tough. I wish races were clearly described so you could make a judgement more easily as to whether to enter. I want to improve my time, not have a tough challenge. I ran the Faversham 10k last week thinking it was flat-ish (it didn't say it wasn't) and went out fast to try and improve on my only other 10k time and paid the penalty for it. I suffered for over half the race and as a result didn't enjoy it like I should have.
    Maybe some people are looking for challenges, but I am sure there are people like me who are looking for improvements in PBs and the easier the course the easier it will be to improve a PB.
    I read above that someone said Paddock Wood is flat-ish, so I'll be doing that and probably not entering Dartford and Tonbridge next year (and giving Tunbridge Wells a miss if it has the killer hill somebody said above). These races aren't cheap to enter and if it just means a lot of pain, with no chance of improving your best time, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
    No doubt this post will raise a lot of criticism, but I just felt it needed to be said that it is only fair to accurately describe your race up front.
  • Options
    If you look on the events section of this site the profile for this race is described as undulating. I mapped the route here...

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/726350

a while back so take a look as it produces the profile as well. There are a couple of short sharp hills but nothing too bad and they are all followed by down hill sections. There is nothing in this race that comes close to the hill in the Tunbridge Wells half. Take the pain now and then sign up for paddock wood next spring and it'll stand you in good stead for a big pb! image
  • Options

Fraser, in all fairness, this post has been gong a while, so the info has been there. Also, the race advisor has been approachable and forthcoming when asked details.

Generally, this site has reviews on most races, and is worthwhile looking at them before making decisions, in my opinion, as it's good to hear from someone who has actually participated. Saying that, the Tonbridge half is in it's inaugural year, so the only info you would get would be from the organiser or from local people. 

I spoke to Andy through this forum as well as others, so knew what would be in-store. I also drove the course before making my decision, which was not to enter as I don't think it is right for me at this time. I am thinking about the Brighton half in February, as that is now a flattish course (there are some small hills early on, but reviews say not too bad).

The info is out there , but I do agree that if it is not what you are expecting then it is expensive.

Just out of curiosity, when did you enter ? I am assuming before you registered on this site ?

• Options
    Hi Bob and Darth,

I'm new to running this season, so still learning, and as I have found, the info can possibly be there if you dig around for it, but I'd expect to have it presented to me with the place, date and distance info.
    I only registered on this web site yesterday, but had seen the race in the events section and seen it said to be undulating, which to me means not completely flat, but not hilly either. If it was one of these others it would say that instead of undulating.
    You shouldn't have to go and drive it to find this out, when the organisers could have saved you the trouble quite easily by being forthcoming.
    Am I being too suspicious thinking Organisers are deliberately vague so as to get a decent turnout and recoup their outlay/raise more for charity?
    I don't need a hard race due to my current circumstances (recent injury=lack of training and a forthcoming trip). I know now if I try to beat my PB I will suffer for it, so do I amble around on Sunday (enjoying it but not achieving what i entered the raise to try and achieve) or drop out and waste my entry fee as its not refundable?
    Maybe the hills are not as bad as TW (I don't know that hill, so cannot really tell) or Dartford, so I'll probably gamble and run it and adjust my race plan on the fly accordingly. For me though, there is a double edged sword with hills and that is I suffer nearly as much on the way down them because I have bad knees and have to take descents easy to reduce the shock on the joints, and someone described a steep drop into Leigh on this forum.