Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Welcome and well done MiniG I understand what you mean,  I started again after 12 years - and started with the Runners World Schedule which was 10 times a minute jogging with a minute break after each 1 minute walk break. That increased each week but I sort of got bored, so in the end I just each week increased the length of my runs from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 minutes with a minute break -  but always keeping to around 20 minutes of actual running. When I got to 5 minutes non stop I reduced the walking break to 45 then 30 seonds then abanadoned it all together so I coule just run non stop.- but as DS said you can't run to slowly. So good luck with your comeback and feel free to post here as much as you like where you will be guaranteed to get as much support and encouragement that you need.

DS well done on getting out - as I think I might have said the other day the hard part is just getting out, once you are out no probs off you go.

Oh well 6.38 miles done this morning, dark dark dark, no moon, stars, just the occasional security light blinking on as I plod past on the sea wall, blinding more than helping - Still feeling tired but not so much and the cold almost gone, just the gunky bits left on my chest. 

Hoping to get out for another 6 in the morning and then 15 Sunday morning,  so may even hit 50 miles this week  who nose!!!!

• Options

Well done to all those getting out there, still on the injury bench for me........but I did have less pain after my physio exercises last night so Sunday is still on the cards at the momentimage

B2B Trainers? Really? you going soft ha ha this was all this tough man talk wasn't it? glad your back in your sandals where you belong.......and if Santa is good to meimage I will be joining you with the naked feets after Chrimbo

• Options

DS - only for really long stuff as it keeps the feet a bit fresher for longerimage Fashion goes out the window image Ive been using sandals for about a year and a half I guess, I have done a marathon in them, a 50 mile and a 100k so far. Hopefully going bigger next year if I get a place image

It all started in here though doing what you guys are doing now.

Mummysaurus - ha ha ha someone suggested on Twitter that I might be faster in trainers.......they were wrong and it hurt to find out ha ha ha. Ill have a word with the big guy and maybe slip him a fiver image

• Options

ooo er! someone just posted in another link that the thames trot 50 is only 8 weeks away.....I wont lie, my belly still did a little backflip! Really need to get this hamstring looked at me thinks

• Options

I would say B2B providing you are not trying to over extend the hamstring you should be OK plodding along on it.

• Options

Welcome Mini G.

The couch monster got me last night and tonight..but I am determined to go for a short speed session tomorrow morning as one last run before my half on Sunday.

I need to get myself a better light as my headtorch is rubbish, and where I live is so dark I keep losing my footing as I cant see where I'm treading. I fear I will mis-place my foot and sprain my ankle or something. Any recommendations? cheapish?

• Options

Not me Lisa, I just run in the dark, I do think I should dig mine out though.

• Options

Good Luck for your Half tomorrow Lisa, B2B has just got new headtorch it's really good but he will have to let you have details, my OH is buying me a Gamma Alpkit for Christmas it's only about 15 quid but has good reviews. 

• Options
    Good luck with your half marathon. Wish I was at that stage.

Got out today in the rain , run 3.2 miles in 30.38. Running over 3 miles has been my personal goal for a while. So chuffed I managed it , and injury free.

Any ideas what I should set next ?
  • Options

Well done DS, great achievement! Are you ready to work towards a 10km yet? Is there one in Jan/Feb near you that you could train for? I find having races booked motivates me to keep running and stop the excuses!

I went out this morning for what was suppose to be a speed session round my 2.1mile block. But I struggled to get out of bed and once I dragged myself out I felt I couldn't get going. Heavy legs. I hadn't had breakfast so that didn't help but I managed 17minutes so still not too bad.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow...hopefully better than the last half where I had to pull out!?!?

• Options

Well done DS - Although I've never done one the obvious answer seems to be a parkrun nice relaxed and the perfect distance for you at the moment - you can then re-evaluate and see where to go next (if you listen to B2B it will be an ultra!!).

Had some news last night which turned out to be good for all concerned. My son's Friday night karate has been moved to Wednesday after school. Initially as my wife doesn't drive it looked like he couldn't go anymore. In stepped sensai and she volunteered to collect him and then I collect on way home from work. The really good news means that my Fridays will become free and I will be able to do the Clacton Friday night 5K series in May, June, July and August - woo woo!!! Now the big question do I carry on with the marathon training or do I switch to more speed work to get faster again?? Guidance please.

6.3 something run today felt pretty good - hopefully 15 tomorrow. if not something around 12.

Thank goodness for edit - I actually came on this evening between Strictly and I'm a nonentity to wish you luck Lisa. 

(oh and yes finished 6th in the Fetch v RW monthly challenge with 210.24 miles). 

• Options

imageimage I did it I finished C25k and the 5k Christmas Challenge run and thanks to B2B keeping me going at a steady pace I also shaved 7 yes you read that right 7 mins of my PB guess it helps not having walk breaksimage

It will be exactly 5 months tomorrow since I went for my first plod with B2B  I really struggled to run for 30 seconds but thanks to his support here I am fitter and stronger and ready for my next challenge. 

I would also like to thank all of you on this thread for your encouragement and support it means a lot 

• Options

Yay well done mummysaurus, you should be really proud!!

All good Grendel about being able to run the Friday 5k series! Can you not throw some speed sessions into your week as well as some long runs so you can train for both?

Well I managed to complete Ashford half in 2hours 15mins. Not a pb but I wasn't expecting one, plus it was a tough course because half of it was either on really muddy slippery grass or through the farmers uneven muddy field, which the mud was sticking to my trainers making them heavy. I managed to run the first 11km without stopping which is the furthest I've run since the crash. The last 5km however I really struggled as I had pins and needles in my left leg (which i've never had before?), and although my mind and lungs were still pushing forward, my legs felt like lead and didn't seem to be going anywhere. Never the less I finished it so I'm really pleased. Plus it was a lovely country route which are my favourite runs. And to top it off my son ran the last ten metres with me to help me over the finish line bless him.

Hope everyone else's weekend of running has been great! image

• Options
    Well done Lisa E , you have earned a visit to the sofa monster !

Gredel - Have been looking at the Ipswich park run . Maybe worth a go. Long term I am aiming for the Ipswich HM next September .

Well done MS ! Tremendous effort !
  • Options

Thanks guys I am still smiling 

well done Lisa nice time 

well done Grendal on the fetch vs rw challenge you have done some awesome mileage

which reminds me I think I will claim my mileage 

December 3.1 

• Options

Well done mummysaurus, great running there.

Lisa well done on getting out there and doing it, I would have thought that the pins and needles may be connected to your back injury

I have been thinking about that one too, there is one in Colchester but I think the Ipswich one will be easier to get to.

Now then this morning I hit the 'wall' big time this morning, 5 miles into my run it was time to dig in, from then on a matter of putting one foot in front of the other, wending my home, like the Doctor, the long way round,  15 miles done, 2000 calories burnt and once again saw the 77 year old man on his 15 mile Sunday walk who always, calls out, 10 to 1 on bar the field, first past the post I'll get my money back, yep true, sure beats get them knees up. 30 years of running and at last original abuse, keep on walking my friend

• Options

howdy peeps!

Mummysaurus worked so hard yesterday, massive well done! image

Grendel - yeah I shall just keep plodding on as normalimage Regarding your race prep, personally I think you need to be race specific. Aim for the marathon, switching your training now could affect you chances. The amount of training you have been doing will more than carry you into the 5k races but it wont work so well the other way around image Ive been hitting the wall at around 8 miles lately but I think it maybe due to not eating on the go. Time to fix up and get back into "proper" training. Time to start running with full kit and food now....its ULTRA TIME!! image

DS - congrats on a distance PB!! image well done! Grendel has it spot on.....I will get you into ultras ha ha ha! My real suggestion is to hit the same distance another couple of times before moving up. 30 minutes is a great time and a good thing to keep doing for a little while. You are going to want to push the miles up pretty rapidly as you get excited and curious about how far you can go, just take your time! Have a look for a 5-10k plan and see what you think. image

Lisa - ive got the Petzl Tikka XP2 ( http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/petzl-tikka-xp2-headtorch-p103505 ) The only problem for me is its a little heavy so its needs to be a little bit tight on my tiny pea sized head image Depending on your budget the Petzl range is pretty good. Depending on how much light you need look for LUMEN output (the higher the better) keep in mind this usually has a knock on effect on battery life. 

This one isnt very bright but its really lightweight and seems really popular at the moment ( http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/petzl-e-lite-zip-headlamp-p263592 )

You can pick up a cheap one but just be careful again on the lumen output as in most cases you get what you pay for!image

2013 - 635.3

• Options

Will start typing again as my work internet crashed (pre christmas lull)  both directors away and the Office Manager in the middle of a nervous breakdown so very very quiet.

You'r right B2B - and the higher mileage should get the weight off a bit too, (is that the right use of too?)  BUT I do, as Lisa said need to get back into some short sharp speed work - Problem is I am not traning for the marathon at the moment as it is to early (or I suppose I am in so much as I need to get fit enough to train for it)  - I have an 18 week schedule but that won't start until second week of January - I have just facebooked my old club with whom I still have ties and asked if I can guest in their cross country races.

After yesterdays 15 miles legs felt a bit iffy this morning, so decided to have a rest day. Just did a very gentle 5 miles - and have hit 1800 miles now for the year - 2000? it is going to be very very close.

• Options

January's not that far away! Nothing wrong with throwing in speed work as part of your marathon training but changing all of your training might not be the best idea. Then again im not fast at all so maybe my advice is not the best? I need to throw in some speed work of my own. Just found a local(ish) track that is £3.65, it opens at 8:30am and closes at 9pm. The guys looked at me strangely when I went "ah, I was hoping it would be open later" "but its open at half 8 in the morning sir?" "thanks I know, I was hoping to get a little longer on the track" again puzzled look. "I have a 24hr challenge in september" ........silence......"ok thanks, bye!"

pffft! I keep forgetting how mental it sounds because I spend so much time chatting to other ultra nutters who just pass it off as another race image

• Options

I was thinking the same B2B , will not be running any further than 3.2 miles for a few weeks at least. Although as you said I am itching to see how far I can really go!  For me the half marathon in September is an achievable goal and park runs are a short term goal . Alton water 10km run in may (I think) along with a fun run in felixstowe ( 1 mile laps , how many you can do in an hour)  is what I am aiming for at minute.

I will be listening to my body as I do not want to be visiting the physio again. I am trying to follow the 10% rule with upping distance but even that, I feel is a bit too much.

Out tonight with Mrs DS coming along so will probably just do 2 miles at a steady plod. So much better having some company.

• Options

Im not aloud to comment on the 10% rule image I would call it more of a guidelineimage

• Options

Yeah I'm not very good at sticking to guidelines either! I only ran 5.3miles in the week last week then went and ran a half marathon! And I'm technically not suppose to be running yet until my back is fully recovered anyway! I didn't even think about the pins and needles in my leg being back related but I guess it could have been??!!image I wondered if it was a lack of salt, as near to the end of the run I was craving chips smothered in salt, which I had once finished, then ten minutes later my leg was fine again?

• Options
    2.3 miles in 21.31 , I think ! Run keeper stopped about .4 miles out. Mrs DS has poorly knee so solo run .

Does everyone set off and set a target ? E.g. today I will run faster and shorter or longer and slower . Tonight I just wanted to run
  • Options
    I tried to set a target to run slower as l thought my pace was to faat as a beginner ended up running just the same pace. How can you do it when you run alone
  • Options
    I tried to set a target to run slower as l thought my pace was to fast as a beginner ended up running just the same pace. How can you slow it down when you run alone
  • Options

MY - I use runkeeper app on my phone which tells me every 5 mins , how far i have run at what pace.  That way i can adjust what pace I am running .

• Options

Lisa - hmm maybe talk with a physio about the pins and needles I wouldn't like to give any advice about that one as I am not a pro image

DS - I tend to pretty much always start out slow to give myself time to warm up then slowly bring the pace up. Just heading out with no plan can be a great way to relax and have fun.

I use a Garmin forerunner 110 but over time you get used to what a particular pace feels like. I could go out now without the watch and run around a 10/10:30 minute mile as its what I have been training at for a while now.

Last nights run blew me away! I haven't run like that for a while image Headed out the door with a slow 13 in mind. 3 miles in and I was still flying along, looked at the watch "27:28" hmm keep pushing? yeah go on then! At 4 miles I started to think that a fast 10 mile would be more fun than trudging a 13 so I just kept kicking.

5 mile turn around and a snickers, looked at the watch "47:38" eeeeeeeeeerm ok take a couple of minutes walk and eat. 2 minutes later I took off again still eating and sipping my water. 7 miles "1:10 something" wow if I can keep this up I will be really close to my PB for this route! The rest of the timing is a bit of a blur as I pushed on, stopping for cars and kicking off again.

9.8 miles come on!! Leg it its sooo close!!!

10 miles

YES!! Previous 1:37:07, new PB 1:35:33!! So happy with that as I know I could have gone quicker with a perfect hamstring. You know what though? Ill take it! image

2013 - 645.3 (pushing it close to be able to hit 700 for the year)

• Options

awesome run there B2B - flying, maybe there is something in this take a few days off and recover!!!

It's funny, Lisa, what the body craves when you are running, I remember running London one year and all I drank during the race was water. I had tried the energy replacement drinks at the exhibition, and didn't like them at all, and yet when I got to the emankment and hit the wall at 25 miles all I wanted was one of those, (and an ice cream) and the thought of those two things kept me going for the last mile or so. Almost like you body knows what it needs.

Melanie the secret of running slow is to concentrate, otherwise the speed can drift up.

7 miles done this morning, could really have done with turning over and going back to sleep - never mind a great morning for a run, seemed darker than normal but felt ok whilst I was plodding along -  Happy days

Have just looked back over my mileage spreadsheet and noticed that the formula didn't look correct and re-working it have now calculated I am closer to 2000 miles than I thought - should all being well hit it by christmas

• Options

Lisa have to agree with B2B about the pins and needles talk to the physio, it could very well be your back, I have been having physio for problems with pins and needles shooting pains and a numb backside and thigh for nearly a year, they never think its a great idea to be running with it but I keep telling him it doesn't hurt when I run it's when I sit down that it hurts.

B2B - fantastic running, see slowing down to run with me has just improved your own form and speedimage I have tired legs from my run on Sunday so please be gentle with me tonight

Welcome to the thread Melanie

DS - I normally have a plan when I set out on my own because I run better with a plan but with B2B it's just game on -  we do what we like and run as far/fast/slow as we feel like and it's always really good fun, We do use a garmin but only because I like to know my stats. I think everyone should have at least one session a week like that.

Grendel - looking good fingers crossed for the 2000

• Options

Thats the way Mummysaurus, if it doesn't hurt when you run run!!!!