Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Safe trip B2B and thank you for leaving room in your suitcase for some things for me image

330 Nothing wrong with sticking to the same distance if you feel happy with it, at least you are getting out there regularly

JR I will have Lisa's cream tea if it's going spare........slimming world can wait image oooh and as for cider I use to drink a lot of scrumpy in my younger days and never once got a hangover yet one sniff of a glass of wine and I would have a headache for days

Would be great to find an event we could all go to but we are all rather spread out.

Had planned to run today but trip to hospital to see my Mum took longer than expected so just did about 9k on the cross trainer. Not allowed to run tomorrow because of seeing the chiropractor but need to do at least 5 miles on Sunday to keep to my plan.

Happy running everyone

• Options

Sorry JR, derr brain moment image Somerset cider would be great image

A few years ago we visited the Scrumpy cider farm and before leaving purchased a 2litre bottle of cider. A few days later I found out I was pregnant, and the unopened bottle sat taunting me for a year before I could drink it image lol

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Lol....bet it tasted great once you finally got to drink it Lisa image

No parkrun today as the boys were shattered after a school residential and football/swimming clubs at the end of the week. Going to go for a gentle 5k to add to the challenge. 

Happy running 

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Easy 5k in 28:30 image along the canal. A few heavy showers to keep me cool in otherwise glorious sunshine. We are yo-yoing on the challenge 330 image

May - 29.81

2014 - 347.67

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Beautiful, if slightly windy morning here today. Lovely 8 miles around the lanes. Very strong headwind on occasion but an enjoyable run.

May - 37.81

2014 - 354.67

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

A very windy and much hiller course than expected - a disappointing 4:53 and there is a story behind it too - will file a report later or tomorrow. In the meantime here is the bling, and yes it really is a pink T Shirt!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/p296x100/10346638_10203917653566679_574685738132459644_n.jpg

• Options

Nice T Shirt strange choice of colour !!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Look forward to the report Grendel image

You ran a marathon, a great achievement whether you hit your target time or not. A tough course makes a huge difference, you should be proud.

Great medal, not sure about the t-shirt mind 

• Options

Well done Grendel nice medal agree rather unusual choice of tshirt colour, If it was as windy for you as it was here today then I think you did great looking forward to the report. 

5 miles for me today went to the gym because it was so windy but wish I had braved the weather didn't enjoy the treadmill at all for the longer distance

• Options

Well done Grendel, still a great time for a tough course (in my opinion). Look forward to the report.

Good effort JR and MS!

I am sorry to say I have not run since my 20on Monday image I was resting my knee and had plans to swim Thurs, and run a short course on Fri to test the knee. Thurs tho I caught a cold and the worst headache I've had. Fri my chest started to tingle too and so it has been since. I am off on the school trip tmw so I wont be running now until the earliest Fri. I hope this does not set back my training?! image

No signal or internet where we're going so happy running peeps and i'll catch up with you next wkend.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

So race report.

After an unexpected good nights sleep, race day dawned. Up at 5:30, and sorted junior Grendel some breakfast and got the towels and his bedding washed, before around 6:30 have a small bowl of porridge and then some cereal. 

Decided to leave myself plenty of time to get to the race HQ so set off at 7.  A nice leisurely drive through the country lanes of Essex took me to Halstead Leisure centre arriving at just before 8 –

Made use of the facilities and collected my number and race pack and sat around waiting.  The rain was hammering down and the wind quite a bit stronger than I had expected and hope. What happened to the nice spring morning I had envisaged.  Handed my bag in to the appropriate people and realised to late it contained all my energy gels and drink.  Oh well I could get round without it as there were 10 drinks stations in total 5 on each lap. 

We set off at 10 o’clock to the sound of pipers, the significance of which I don’t know.. A first mile in 8:52 was a little bit fast but I slowed down and noticed that the old legs were really feeling it. Halstead is apparently the hilliest part of Essex, something I didn’t know.  The miles ticked over and I seemed to struggle more and more. I was humbled at one point running along side an old boy who was running his 997th marathon, his 4th of May and his second of the weekend,  having done the Bewl Water marathon in Kent the day previously.  It would, at the end of the first lap, been easy to step off, but you guys had put so much faith in me, and with my brother in laws name written on my hand as a reminder I couldn’t stop. I did walk up some of the hills and by mile 22 started to  walk 0.1 of each half mile. I got to mile 25 and resolved that it was the last mile and I would run in, only to be confronted by half a mile across a muddy field. Like many I walked part of it, and when I ran, stumbling along the uneven track.

Back on the road it was simply a case of putting one foot in front of the other. My time in the results will be slower as I did stop my watch when I stopped twice for a pee.   Was glad to cross the line.  The wind, of which 4 miles on each lap,  did play a significant part as did the hills. The promised story, which is actually an admission,  will follow

Goody bag, water, a Pink T Shirt! A cheap mars bar, a small pack of cheesey biscuits,  a bottle of celebration beer,  an energy gel a note pad for an ambulance chaser solicitor and a granola bar.  

Macdonalds on the way home and arrived back to find wife and son waiting for e to get home to make their tea!!! (not joking)

So far £420 raised and that is what matters – here is to next year now.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The admission and excuse.

So what went wrong, apart from the wind and the course.

What I haven’t admitted on here, (indeed what I haven’t really admitted to anyone other than myself) is that I over-trained.

I found about a month or so ago I wasn’t recovering from the long runs. The 23 miles I did, which was meant as a confidence booster was the catalyst.

Each week I carried on regardless, ignoring the fact I seemed to be getting slower and slower on the long runs.   I had a schedule, but ignored it, where it said 18 I did 21, where it said 20 I did 23. Of course I would recover in time for the marathon   I thought I knew better – guess what I didn’t. With age, they say, comes wisdom. Obviously not for me! 

Time for a break, and then some shorter stuff. Am hoping that a drop in wind will coincide with a high tide and will be able to get ion the sea as an alternative to an ice bath. 

Will definitely be doing another one (and no Ultras)

• Options

Andy

Still a good time considering those conditions, if I do London I will be praying for a cool non windy day !!

The problem with training for a marathon is the thought process of  "have I done enough training" it is a very fine line in doing enough and to much.

But you stuck at it and that's to be proud of and still got a good time, and you done well. I see you say you are doing another one - good for you get out there and run the time you wanted!!

• Options

Lisa enjoy the trip, hope the knee is feeling better

Grendel - Great race report you did really well and the fact that you still want to do another one is brilliant

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

I have to say I thought you were doing a lot of 20 mile runs Grendel but I have no marathon experience so thought this guy is going to smash it after all this training! Fair play to you as it doesn't sound like the easiest course and I know full well how quickly a muddy field stops you in your tracks.

Get rested and as Ms says the fact you're already up for another speaks volumes about you.

Well, I went out tonight for a steady 10k along the canal. I left the canal after half a mile and went along the undulating lanes. After a steady first mile of 9:15 and a second of 8:41 (a bit quicker than planned) I suddenly settled into a quicker pace. I had no idea of how quick I was running as I decided to not look at the watch and run to feel instead. I ran steady until the watch beeped for 3 miles and took a glance to see where I was. The third mile was clocked at 7:50! I felt good, didn't feel like I was pushing too hard so kept the breathing controlled (three in, three out). The watch beeped again, 8:04. I was starting to feel it now but in my mind knew I could hold on for 2 more miles, even if half of it was uphill. I got the arms moving, the breathing was a little shallow but mile 5 was done, 8:11. The last mile I really had to dig deep. There was no question of letting up though as I knew I was on for a huge pb now. Mile 6, 8:07. I really put it in over the last few hundred yards, finishing in 51:25.....image A new 10k pb, time to smash my 5k I think! 

May - 44.01

2014 - 360.87

• Options

JR - You seem to be flying and training well at the moment, I do hope to increase to distance but haven't been out since Saturday so may well stick to this and try and move up to 5.5 or so Saturday coming.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    330, I decided to start injecting a little pace into my workouts. I have adjusted my long run and reintroduced some Speedwork (no more than 15% of my weekly miles). I'm confident running a little quicker now, knowing my legs can and will cope with it. I'd like to think with some structure to my running I can have a go at that sub 50 minute 10k I've always dreamed of. I'll have a few easy runs this week, maybe a lighter interval session after yesterday, parkrun with the kids and 10 Sunday.
  • Options

Seems a plan JR

As you know I am looking at London 2015 so looking at mileage just now. At this moment in time I am none to confident with regards a marathon. But I cannot panic, cannot build the mileage up to fast but neither build to slowly either

I hope that I can get to around 15 miles by Xmas but I must start building the miles soon, may try 5 tonight but again will be untimed, but to be honest since running untimed I think I may have been a tad faster

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    15 is a good, and achievable target 330. Maybe start adding 10% to your long run every couple of weeks? Are you going to follow a plan? I was looking at some back along in Runners world mag. You'll be fine.

I haven't been lookong at the watch much lately as I reckom it slows me down half the time. I prefer to just run to feel although during Speedwork i find the Garmin a brilliant tool.
  • Options

I would ideally like to be at 18 but 15 wouldn't be to shabby

I will follow a plan but have never been any good at this speedwork, tempo run stuff. I am putting off getting a watch as really want a Garmin, what one do you have?

As you know I was going to run the Helensburgh half but apparently this has been cut to 7 this year. That was early August so maybe try the distance then over some of the route - there is an out and back that would be 13.4

The adding 10% sounds good. Going to attempt 5.5 - 6.5 this weekend

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    I have a forerunner 405.Not sure if they still make it? My wife has a 110 which we got for around ??60 on Amazon's lightning deals at Christmas. I love my watch. You can set your own workouts or upload them from Garmin. I get a five beep countdown for each interval/recovery, current pace, each mile or km split etc. I love being sble to see where I ran when it uploads on my laptop. Its GPS so gives you elevation and everything. If I run a known course it even tells me where and when to turn off, very handy when I use it with my bike.

Speedwork is hard work but also fun. You can do something very simple like fartlek, some faster bursts within a run to a landmark, a tree or something. Or you could do 6 x 1 minute hard with a 90 second recovery, shortening the recoveries over time. 400/800/1000/1200m reps are popular with the time you ran the rep as your recovery. At the end of the day it puts a bit of speed in your legs, enabling you to run faster for longer.
  • Options

Nice running there JR that's a great time for a 10k one I can only dream about, my 10k time looks more like an average half mara, I don't really have to worry about speedwork (well not unless B2B is around) I only have two speeds Slow and Stop but I am happy to plod along as long as it keeps me injury free I will be happy.

330 - I am sure if you increase your miles slowly you will be at least at 15 by Christmas, I always feel a little awkward giving any running advice being the newbie round here, but even if you followed the same plan I am doing for Fowlmead, which is 5 miles for long run this week, you would still be doing 13 miles by October so 15 or 18 by Christmas is very achievable considering you are a much better runner than me.

I am off to out for a couple of miles this afternoon, Chiropractor has given me strict instructions for only 3 runs a week max and at least one has to be short and no using the bike until she has seen me again, frustrating but at least she hasn't stopped me from running. Hoping to manage out and back before the next lot of rain

Happy running

• Options

Thanks for the tips JR - seems like a great bit of kit. I primarily want one to gauge distance as difficult to measure distances on a map her with so much off road stuff

Mummy - believe me I am like a beginner here - My last proper race was in 2006 both halfs and London - 12 marathons in all 11 Londons and one Dublin. But I haven't a clue where to start with the training !! Even when I was running regular and racing a lot I was still rubbish at training and sticking at a plan. You maybe a newbie but have stuck at it and have loads of knowledge already, B2B will have you down for an Ultra before you know it

The more I read and the more I look at peoples blogs on running Ultras here in Scotland the more I am drawn in to the long events - the scenary of the Highland Fling for example is stunning

• Options

5.09 for me tonight 0 out in T shirt and shorts - lovely jubbly

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Injury free running MS, that’s what it’s all about image Glad to hear you can still get out.

330,  the Highland Fling! image

Just looked at the photo's on their website, what an absolutely beautiful place to run!

Shorts and t-shirt 330! At last!

7 days to go for the 5x50 challenge MS, I have enjoyed the challenge.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

All seem to be moving along nicely on here and welcome back MS good to be injury free. Hopefully B2B will come back from America ready to go.

Thighs, arms and back a little stiff and walking down stairs is in elegant to say the least.  Not run since Sunday and have no intention of doing so until at least Monday, and then it will be a vey very gentle - Targets are a couple of 5Ks in Clacton, but as the series of 4 starts Friday week I won't be ready, and then the Southend 10K and Wix 5 -  Have looked for a marathon between now and the Autumn but nothing in Essex except a couple of trail ones.  So either London or back to Halstead next year.

I think looking back it wasn't the 20s, because realistically I didn't do any 20s all my long runs were 21 plus including a couple of 22s and that 23, I never gave myself a chance to recover. It was quite frustrating to be over taken by people who had done far less than I had - Lesson learned?  hope so. 

• Options

Well done Grendel nice medal agree rather unusual choice of tshirt colour, If it was as windy for you as it was here today then I think you did great looking forward to the report. 

5 miles for me today went to the gym because it was so windy but wish I had braved the weather didn't enjoy the treadmill at all for the longer distance

• Options

That's strange my post from the 11the seems to of posted itself again.......gremlins 

330 I am sure you would love an ultra especially in your part of the country it's stunning

JR I have really enjoyed the 5x50 but must admit a day off next week when it's finished will be quite a treat

Grendel hope you feel less stiff and sore soon 

I did manage to dodge the rain and got out for a nice couple of miles, I really have to find some new routes as running up the side of the A1 motorway really isn't that nice but at least I get the path to myself.

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5fspWyY-k

Oh dear B2B has a lot to answer for !!! A vid of the Highland Fling Ultra - almost on my doorstep ...... one day ..... one day

Grendel so pleased you are doing another Marathon, I can tell you are disappointed here but you seem to have thought about what went wrong and identified it - You will be back much stronger. Can I ask, when you were preparing and training before the schedule started did you build up the miles steadily distance wise so in fact your long runs were more than the schedule mileage wise, and then drop back down on the mileage to follow the schedule ?

For example I would love to be on long runs of around 15/18 miles by the end of the year when a schedule would start. So if the first long run was say 8 should I drop down to 8 then build up again with the schedule ?

Mummy yes beautifull scenery in that video - hilly though !!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Sorry Grendel, I meant the 20+ mile runs. Your report about over training is proof that we will never stop learning when It comes to this running lark.

330, I will have a look at the video later.

Grendel, is it a tough trail marathon? Please dont be put off just because it's not on the road, trail runs are beautiful and the emphasis on running a certain pace goes out the window for most people. I find trail events a little more relaxed. Running for the sheer enjoyment of it.