Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Torrington Christmas Caper done. 9.8 miles of mud, fields, trails and 950 feet of climb. Completed in 1:27:30, average 8:57, not bad for an almost completely off road run. Really good atmosphere, well organised and thoroughly enjoyable, especially the mud. Good job they had showers!

Started half way down the pack as I was a little concerned at going off too fast and dying on the hills and through the mud etc. Although I got stuck behind a group along the first mile it probably didn't harm my time as I think I paced myself well today. The first half mile was along a country lane before we headed along a narrow and very muddy track. Puddles galore and lots of people slipping and sliding, god knows how the few people I spotted in road shoes got on!

Miles two and three were nice and steady along some trails. Nothing too technical but you had to watch your step as you went. Mile four had a decent but steady climb overall and it was at this point I started to warm to the challenge, settling into a nice rhythm. Mile 5 was again a steady mile with a lot of mud and water to navigate through and around! Half way!

Going into the second half I was really relaxed and slowly gaining on plenty of runners in front. Mile six started with a sharp climb, hands required on knees from  half way up before a equally sharp downhill stretch which tested the quads, and brakes, as we descended through the woods. Mile seven, not far to go now and a lovely scenic flat stretch with rivers and green fields filling the view. Mile eight was very flat and I chucked in an 8 minute mile here going toward the final stretch.

The last 1.8 miles was fairly tough. The fields were really boggy and testing on tiring legs, 10:30 for mile nine and 10:00mm pace for the last 0.8 with 250 feet of climb back towards the start. This saw a few runners in front of me grinding to an almost complete halt. Then all of a sudden we were a few hundred yards from the finish. I put in a finish sprint to the line to fend off a late challenge lol.

Great run and will return next year.

December - 42.53

2014 - 944.92

• Options

Nice report JR! Thats a lot of climb over 9.8 miles! I did about the same over my 35 last week! 

Parkrun again for me on saturday, It was a little chilly but nothing compared to the week before. I opted to run without the socks this time and my feet felt just as warm as they did in the socks.

My works christmas party was the night before so as all the professional athletes do, I filled myself to the brim with beer and went to bed at 2:30am in preparation for the 9am start....perfik

My alarm went off at 7am and I really considered just going back to sleep and writing the day off. I stumbled out of bed around 7:30am and wobbled my possibly still drunk ass to the bathroom. Brushed my face....and teeth and headed off to get ready.

Running gear on just in time as MS and my sister arrived. 

At the start line we realised that EVERYONE was wearing some kind of santa get up, even the dogs!!! Why didn't we think of it?!!?

oh well. We lined up in the crowd ready for the off.

I was just going to take it easy today and enjoy it.

3.....2.....1...GO!

I just tried to stay relaxed and just run. I settled into a nice pace and before I really knew it I was onto lap 2. I caught up with MS about halfway round lap 3 and just kept bopping. I didnt really feel like I was going that fast so I looked at my watch as I approached the last corner and was surprised to see just over 20 minutes! Onto the final straight I could now feel I was a little tired and didnt really have a lot more to give. 

I crossed the line 24 minutes dead, only 21 seconds off my PB!!! image how the bloody...........I guess this regular speed work is really paying off!

I turned around and ran back to meet my sister who was surprisingly close behind, rocking in at something just over 27 minutes, smashing her PB by about 2 minutes!!! She scanned her code and we ran back to meet MS who again was closer than we thought she would be. Giving it a final burst over the grass she too broke her PB by around 18 seconds coming in at 38:01!!!

What a morning! We headed off for the obligatory coffee, cake and a natter......job done!

• Options

Nice one B2B, we are off to Parkrun this Saturday image

Will read your blog when we get home later, we're off for the Christmas lights run in Ottery St Mary. 

• Options

Been absent from this thread for a couple of weeks or more but that doesn't mean I'm not making progress. After having taken 10 days off running in mid November to rest my body I've been mentally and physically in good shape and I've gradually brought the PBs down, now under 50 minutes for 10k and under 40 minutes for 5 miles. I do tend to focus a bit more on pace on shorter runs but I still have at least one short (10k or less) run per week where I just take it easy and keep the muscles in trim. My long runs are increasing in distance and yesterday took me to 18 miles, as usual it was mostly comfortable but the last mile and a half were really tiring as it was at that point that I was pushing the distance. I'll probably have a short gentle run on Wednesday, maybe a 10k on Friday and then get one more long run in before new year's eve but after that I may just have a couple of easy weeks just to rest a bit. I'm in no rush to be ready for a marathon and if anything I'm probably way ahead of where I need to be, I'm not expecting to be running a marathon before April but I may bring it forward if I can find a decent one to enter.

December: 87.46

• Options

Christmas lights run done with the club tonight. 5 1/2 miles. Felt pretty good after yesterdays race. Will have a day off tomorrow and then get a run in on Christmas eve.

Happy running

December - 48.17

2014 - 950.56

• Options

Great write up B2B image

Hill reps this afternoon. Following a sub 4 marathon thread on the forum and decided to do the same session prescribed on there. The run to my hill of choice was 1.4 miles so a decent enough warm up. I ran 10 x 0.15 miles aiming for 8:15 pace, recovering on the way back down. Four reps down and I wondered if i'd finish. I think this may have had more to do with the fact I was on my own with no group to keep me going. A couple of reps later I actually felt much better, although getting tougher the end was in sight. The last rep was everything I had left, finishing with me hands on knees at the top. Finished with a warm down and feel pretty bloody pleased with myself. 5.6 miles in total.

Splits pace....8:24,8:20,8:19,8:09,8:01,8:08,7:57,7:58,8:10,7:48.

December - 53.76

2014 - 956.15

• Options
    Just back on to wish you all a Merry Christmas, great running everybody this year. Good running everyone this year. In the words of Young Mr Grace, you've all done very well.
  • Options

Thanks JR and great going with the hill training! image

Great stuff Matt, great to see your progress well done!

Hey Grendel, true words indeed!!

Well done everyone, hope you all have a great Christmas!! Catch up with you guys later!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

Merry Christmas to you all. Hope you all got what you wished for. image

• Options

It's own up time. Was supposed to run the local Turkey Trot (5km) yesterday but didn't go. I'm just too embarrassed by my shape and lack of fitness probably the only time in my live that I thought I might be last. I did go out and run 3 miles slowly. Needing to give myself a shake.

• Options

Robert, don't fret. We all miss a run now and again even the keenest runners schedule isn't set in stone. It's gone now and you did get yourself out for 3 miles so that's a thumbs up. Do you have a parkrun near you? I can personally guarantee you won't feel out of place at any parkrun. They are full of people of all ages, shapes and sizes. There are children, people running with their dogs. There will be somebody in last place, and that will be the vollunteer who brings up the rear so no matter what you won't be last! Even if you were, so what, I was last in my first ever race and got the biggest cheer of the day. Running is different from other sports, the people are different, I believe you won't find  sport that offers so much encouragement so the people at the back. Get out there image

I overslept this morning after forgetting to set my alarm....oops....so missed parkrun. I'm very annoyed with myself as I haven't been able to go for months. Anyway, onwards and upwards, I will be out before lunch for a nice steady run.

• Options

First post Christmas run complete. 7 miles done along the canal. Managed to bring home a fair bit of mud from the tow path image

December - 60.76

2014 - 963.15

• Options

Hi all,

Just about to start my running back up after around 2 years off have been running occasionally but not enough,   Im struggling with the disappointment being back at this stage,   how are you all over coming this feeling??

will be stripping it all back and starting from scratch its gonna be tough and discipline will be key,

what do people recommend for winter running too?

• Options

Hi Craig, welcome to the thread image

You're right, it will be tough but stick at it. If you look back to page 1 of the thread you'll see just how far we've come. For me, I find new challenges, either distances or terrain can bring rewards. PB's are still up for grabs, as you can always set a best time in your twenties, thirties, forties etc. Joining a club can be very motivating, something i've done this year myself. 

As for winter training, apart from gloves, base layer and head torch it's pretty much business as usual. I'm in Devon so apart from wind, rain and a few decent frosts there's not much to stop me getting out. I do get the odd look for wearing shorts 12 months a year though. Some folk are a bit soft down here image

• Options

yh I live around south wales by canals now so should be a good run area

I got to admit my bought myself a pair of base layer bottoms to go under the shorts

cheers mate I cant wait to get back to it image

• Options

Consistency is key Craig. It's a great time of year to get back into it as by spring you'll be flying. 

• Options

Little annoyed today as Mrs JR claimed she would be up early to run first. She wasn't....as usual.....meaning we both went later than planned. I did get out in the end (just back) and had a nice easy 5.12 miles along the canal. Had planned to go further but it was pitch black when I got back and I went without my head torch.

December - 65.88

2014 - 968.27

• Options

Just registered here and saw this thread, a good place to start for inspiration. Just started a Bupa couch to 5k plan now on week 3, (run 3 walk 3). Trying to increase my running distance, I can already get round 5k on a run walk basis in 33 mins but need to increase my running time! image

• Options

Hi Martin, stick to the plan, you'll get there. I followed a walk/run plan and the gradual increase in running time is important as it severely reduces the chances of injury or generally overdoing it. Keep us up to date with how the plan goes.

• Options

Thank you, and yes i will.

• Options

Hi all, 

Like others on this thread I'm wanting to get back into running after an enforced absence of around 7 months and counting.  Two separate, non-running related, injuries put the brakes on just as I was starting to really enjoy everything, which really peeved me off no end.  The first month or so of not running was really hard to take and made for a very grumpy 'Up the Boro', and although I missed it the not getting up early to run, the extra glass of red at a night etc took over all to easily.  I'm now around a stone and a half overweight and feel incredibly unfit.  Seeing lots of runners out in their new gear over christmas has stirred the old feelings again and is making me want to get out there again.

I just need a plan (I have a rough idea of what I should be doing) and some support to stop me overdoing it as in my head I will think I can / should be doing 10 - 15 mile training runs with no problems like before.  I've got some races / events earmarked for later next year as something to aim for I just need that initial push to get going again and i'm hoping this thread could help me.   

Cheers UTB.

• Options

I've just made a return to the going out and doing a few miles and I must admit its the greatest feeling. I've had a 2 year break following a diagnosis of COPD , ex-smoker, and just being completely disenchanted with the running.  It just became a slog every time I went out, almost an obsession.  I now want to try and guard myself against getting caught up with PB's , preparation for events and that feeling of having to go out running every day.   The hardest thing for me is to keep the fun / pleasure element.   This morning I went out early for a 4.5 miler with a few stiff hills , a mile of canal and a sprint home and feel on top of the world !

• Options

Welcome to the thread UTB image Those 10-15 mile training runs are a great target in themselves. Hopefully this thread can inspire you to get back into running as you were before. If you read back over this thread you'll see just how far people on here have come. We really did all start again! It's horrible watching others run when you're unable to, I still find it terribly annoying when I watch the wife running at an event if i'm doing the babysitting. Keep us posted with your progress.

I made good use of my time off work today and went out this morning at 8am. A beautiful time of day to run with a decent frost on the ground and a bright sun rising over the hills. Kept the pace nice and easy (9:37avg) over 10.4 miles. Quite pleased with that as I really did take it easy this morning with some ice around and 500ft of climb included too. A confidence boosting run. 

December - 76.28

2014 - 978.67

• Options

Hi Lankylad image 

Must have missed you earlier! Welcome to the thread. Glad you enjoyed your run today. I found it tough getting out at times this year so did two things, both of which renewed my passion for running.

First off I signed up for parkrun with the wife and kids. No chance of a pb running with the children so no pressure, just the simple enjoyment of running. It was great seeing the smiles on their faces as they sprinted for the line each Saturday morning.

Secondly, I met an old friend at parkrun who invited me along to a local running club. I haven't looked back since. I'm running further and faster than ever yet there's no pressure to do so. Running with others has been fun, given me a social life, and once a month we race a 5k course using a handicap system. There are runners of all ages and abilities, no one has ever asked me 'how fast' I run. You just turn up, run at whatever pace you want, the faster ones do an extra loop or wait for you and those workouts which seem tough on your own are actually quite enjoyable.

• Options

It's good to see people returning and being inspired by what they read here and most of all sharing it, well done UTB and Lankylad and JR sounds like a great club to run with!

Today, although technically not part of my C5k plan, ( I'm on holiday this week ) I went to the local track with my daughter Alison, she's been running a few years now, ran London, Prague and South Downs marathons last year. While I plodded round at in my own run/walk style, she seemed to be flying. Inspiring for me, you bet!.... at 60 I'll doubt I'll ever get that quick, but it won't stop me from trying image

• Options

Evening folks,

thought it it time I joined in the fun. I started running last January as a means of loosing weight and getting fit, but by April I was into road cycling and didn't get running much. I was 13stone 10lbs and a bit of a drinker, I'm now 12st 10lbs because of xmas but was hovering around 12.5-6.

as the roads are just plain dangerous at this time of year I'm back for more running. I was out at the weekend and managed a comfortable 7 miles, warmed down and felt good but yesterday I felt like my legs were seized. I know it's a different muscle group which will need 'running in' again so I'm going to keep at it and get out for a repeat tomorrow in my new LS top and tights (courtesy of Mrs KOTT)

• Options

good to see I'm not alone in getting back into running. Lots of good advice, like the tip about the park runs, going to look into it. I used to train with Troon Tortoises, wonder if they are still going? Lots to look forward to in the New Year.

• Options

Loads of good tips and advice , all positive stuff from Just Run et al.  It might have been my own pressure in the past I think.  I suppose its almost a basic human instinct to be competitive , especially with the male specimen.  All the literature advice seems to suggest setting goals and targets .  That's my next task to look at doing a 10 miler or 1/2 Marathon come spring time and old habits die hard.  My saviour could be the various activities available i.e. Swimming 2 X a week and I've got into doing enjoyable Gymn sessions thanks to a mate ; not just humping big weights about, but using Rep challenges which have proved excellent for all round fitness and enjoyment.  The best of luck to everybody with their chosen methods.  I'm hoping to get out real early tomorrow morning for a few miles myself.

• Options

There’s always someone faster Martin, even for elite runners! Using others as inspiration can go along way, especially if it’s family member.

Hi kevofthetee and welcome to the thread. It’s little wonder your legs were tired after a 7 mile run, especially after a break. Did you get out today? Let us know how you go.

This time of year is a great time to be starting, or starting again Robert. So many others are in the same boat.

First run of 2015 already planned Lankylad. Good man, enjoy. I’ll be having a day off tomorrow.

Last run of the year completed today. 6 miles along the canal at a steady pace. Legs did tire towards the end but that may have been due to the slight increase in pace over the last couple of miles and yesterdays 10 miles.

I missed my 1000 mile target for 2014 but resisted the temptation to go further and squeeze in a few more runs as it’ll give me something to nail in 2015. I did achieve my sub 50 minute 10k and almost went sub 23 over 5k. 23:04 my best on a hilly course, another time to be smashed on 2015. I’m still to run my original marathon target set on page one of this thread but did run the 20 mile Grizzly this year, a fantastic and unique event I’ll be running again in March. I also have a marathon entry in for June 14, my 40th birthday. Good luck with your targets whether it’s times, distances, getting fit, shifting a few pounds or just enjoying running for the simple free pleasure that it is (minus all the kit we buy lol).

Have a Happy New Year all, and Happy Running

December - 82.28

2014 - 984.67