Options

parkrun

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm not being uppity. I'm quite calm and collected. I'm sorry if it's come across that way and apologise if it has. I take your point entirely SJ because all these things can seem a bit daunting, but I do tend to think they would seem daunting even if you banned club shirts. Lots of people turn up with lots of good gear, which can seem offputting in its own way. And the fact that plenty of very good runners turn up is also daunting the first time. It takes some guts for inexperienced runners to turn up at all, but when they do they soon find it's a very welcoming thing. I just don't really think the club shirts thing is a big issue, and I'm not saying that because I sometimes wear one. Ahem.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well I'm unattached and I dont think its a big thing if people wear them.

When I did my first parkrun (long time ago now), I was terrified of being last as there were only 26 runners and the course was solid ice. I wasnt but even if I had been it wouldnt have mattered. Its still the same now, first time is awful, but terribly addictive after that image

• Options

Another interesting point on this subject is that a certain club in Leeds was actually formed out of the Leeds parkrun regulars getting together and naming the club after the parkrun course.

Their vests are apparent all through the field and provide a very positive message. What would be the reason for discouraging them from  wearing their club vests?

• Options

i said before I believe it was a point that was pushed around in the early days............but with experience it is found that it didn't make a difference..............

SJ if new runners just assume that club runners are all fast.then that could be an arguement for wearing them..to let them know that loads if clubs nowadays have such a wide spectrum of runners............

But I agree it was something that was talked about a few years ago...........

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

I wear my vest asit sens out a message you do not need to be a speedy whippet to join a club and hopefully more people will consider joining one 

Exactly. 

If (and I realise that prf has made it perfectly clear this isn't the case, but since we're discussing it anyway...) club vests were to be discouraged, you'd basically be perpetuating the idea that clubs aren't inclusive and encouraging of all levels.  (And that serious runners are off somewhere else doing serious races.)  When I was very green and naive about the whole idea of competitive running it was only after entering a few races as unattached that I realised the whole field down to backmarkers is populated by club runners, so it's pretty obvious to a newbie that clubs aren't just for racing whippets and might actually be worth a try. 

So much easier to get involved if someone from Shrewsbury Stragglers is shaking your hand at the end of a parkrun, wearing their club top.   Good name for a club, that.  image

• Options
    Curly45 wrote (see)

Well I'm unattached and I dont think its a big thing if people wear them.

When I did my first parkrun (long time ago now), I was terrified of being last as there were only 26 runners and the course was solid ice. I wasnt but even if I had been it wouldnt have mattered. Its still the same now, first time is awful, but terribly addictive after that image

The course is still solid ice? I'd noticed a drop in temperature today but I didn't think it was that cold.

(gets coat)

• Options

I am involved in organising the Liverpool princes parkrun, and personally I think it is great to see people in club vests turn up, it is just good to see anyone turn up regardless what they choose to wear.

I Think the wearing of club vests will encourage parkrunners who are new to the sport to consider getting involved with local clubs and so further enhance there parkrun experience.

Local running clubs need all the support they can get so why not wear your club vests!

• Options
    I would encourage club runners to wear their club vests because hopefully it will encourage the unattached runners to join a club. I always wear mine when running, and I wear my club jacket when I'm organising.
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

I read in an article in the other running magazine that club vests were discouraged, but have not seen anything to that effect anywhere else (apart from here)
    I always wear my club vest with pride.

Ashton Court (Bristol) parkrun had it's second official test run last Saturday and goes live on 23rd April - there are over 265 runners who have put it down as their home run

• Options
    I think running clubs are the best kept secret in the country, where else can you meet new friends, get at least one decent workout a week and have access to so much more for less £ each year than it costs per month in your average gym. Even things like BMF (which I'm not knocking btw) still cost more per month than a running club costs per year.

Why anyone would want to discourage supporting a club is beyond me, and I haven't noticed it to be the case at Leeds anyway
  • Options
    ^^^ I wish mine was cheaper than a month's gym membership. Mine costs £28 a year and then £2 each time you go.
  • Options
    @Dean101 - Really? What club do you run for?
  • Options
    Stockport Harriers. I wouldn't mind but there was no mention of the £2 per session extra until I had actually joined.
  • Options
    I know our club sometimes costs £3.50 per session on track night but you get that back afterwards. I haven't heard of clubs charging per session before (either that or I owe my club a fair bit of cash)
  • Options

we don't pay any extra at all.unless you go to a specific track session...we have had to increase thisyear to aboy £25 as the welsh athletics increased their cost

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Its common in London to pay extra for track sessions since the clubs dont own the track...maybe its the same with Stockport (although I thought they did own their track cause its used for the parkrun isnt it??)
  • Options
    That's why we have to pay for track sessions (because we have been using Leeds Met track) but the club budgeted to refund members so you got the money back eventually anyway. Other than that we never have to pay extra
  • Options
    Right. The official answer is that in the early days, as in the 'Bushy Park Time Trial' and then the its first offspring, the 'Wimbledon Common Time Trial' club vests were discouraged.

The one element of this that has been picked up in the thread was that the Time Trial & parkrun was meant to be inclusive. Now this isn't the same as saying running clubs are not inclusive... but the thought was that whippet looking runners sporting club vests MAY put off new runners who may feel that this wasn't an event for them. This though was not the primary reasons.

The event was a 'time trial' for individuals, not a race. As such seeing as runners were not representing clubs, but only themselves, club vests were not required.
    This was actually quite important as before the parkrun concept spread with backers cash (Nike, Lucozade) etc. The events were were organized without any insurance which would have been required if they had been billed as races. As such the less race like appearance the better. So lots of runners wearing all sorts of tops looks a lot less race like than a field made up of 50% club vest wearers! If you think this sounds crazy - just remember the reaction of that old chap in Newcastle who tried to get the parkrun there banned by the AAA!

(Some local clubs in London also objected to the Time Trial/parkrun concept - but as you all know they soon saw the benefits instead & very came on board. Helping volunteer at them, hand out fliers for local races & build bridges with people who normally would never have thought that a running club was for them).

As the concept of parkruns has grown, so the need to constantly remind officials/land owners/councils etc that these aren't races (and thus chargeable for using facilities, having to have St Johns in attendance etc), has diminished so has the original 'no club vests' ethos.

I'd say that now the 'no club vest mindset' is very much an old school mentality kept up only by the early adoptees. With every new event this ethos is considered neither here nor there, & no one really cares a jot. Even in Wimbledon where Ian sports his TH&H vest with pride come rain or shine. As people involved in parkrun only care that people are out running. Failing that just run bare chested - it worked for Craig Mottram & he's still the fastest ever around a parkrun course.
  • Options
    Leeds is my local parkrun and I've never worn my club vest - might sound odd but it's never really crossed my mind to do so.  I don't think of it as a 'proper race' so no associated butterflies etc, but a nice run round the park in a relaxed atmosphere.  Doesn't mean I don't challenge myself, because I do.  I'm never going to break any records though and Ralph the juggler beats me every week, as does the chap with the running buggy image