Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Morning morning morning...

Well done all for those runs over the weekend.  Very impressive!!!

Got my number through 5554 and it looks pink more than red.  I hope I haven't been stuck in the Female category or something....  Anyway know what that means?

Anyway, a good 1 hour mountain run (Betws) on Saturday followed up by another 2 hour tempo run on Sunday using parts of Richmond Park.  I'm chuffed to bits to feel this tired (but strong).  Can't help feel that Brighton is just two weeks too soon though after the bug I had.

Be grateful for small mercy's and all that.  I hope you are all well and have a fantastic leg tingly day.

• Options

Sat here thinking 3 weeks today it will all be over image and i will be in fits of giggles trying to climb stairs...oh and get back down them..no matter how many long runs i do in training and all the tempo runs it seems that the 26.2 really does make my legs alien to stair climbing for a day or two after...even if i take a cold bath every day for 3 days after..and i also have until the friday off work too that week image

Well done everyone 

• Options

Hi all - some good running going on, my number has arrived, blue 4882, I think I will also have to lower my expectations of a sub-4, I think 4 - 4.15 is more realistic now, 22 miler on Friday the first 18 miles were fantastic, the last 4 were hell, I dont think I hit the wall I think it fell on me, also thought have a cold bath as meant to be good for the legs, well got in, then got really bad cramps and could not get out for over 10 mins, my calf muscles have ached ever since more than normal, but still managed the Sport Relief Mile yesterday with the wife and kids, my 6 year old son turned to me at the end and said "Dad I know what it is like to run a marathon now". I also have flu now which is not good, but at least no ducks.

Well done evereyone on your runs, let the madness begin.

• Options

22 miler done yesterday but the worst run I've had since the 16 week plan started. I've done a few 18's, a 20, a 17 and 4 or 5 15 milers but this just knocked me sideways. I started to blow up about mile 15 which was unexpected. I'm just hoping it was down to a few nights of rubbish sleep plus losing another hour kip Saturday night.

This was meant to be a confidence booster but has left me with some serious doubts now. Think I will take this week as a complete recovery week and do very little training.

On a positive note a giant New Foundland dog appeared to be jogging along side me for the last few miles and probably could have dragged me to the finish, just grateful it wasn't a Chihuahua, although hallucinating probably isn't a good sign. image

Good luck all not long to go now

• Options

Hi All,

AMAZING GRACE

Wasn't up for my LSR this weekend, felt very weary Friday, felt rubbish Saturday, not feeling at all confident and filled with dread. Was dragged from my bed Sunday morning to tend one of my daughters after she had bouts of coughing around 7am. Dressed and forced myself out the door at 07.30 into a damp chilly fog.   

AMAZING GRACE

Best LSR i've had. 22 miles in 3:20. Decided to practice re-fuelling more often with the Lucozade gels, yes they are a little thick but taken in 3 or 4 gulps washed down each time worked well. Was even forced to stop and stretch a couple of times due to getting caught at the level crossing at local station.

AMAZING GRACE

Got home to find O/H been panicking as she thought i'd gone out at 7am and, therefore, to her mind I was late and obviously slumped by the roadside somewhere - the mind of a woman!!. Sorry Darling! image

So, to explain - have had the old i-pod on shuffle the last 3 weeks and been treated to some long forgotten but hugely enjoyable tracks which have put smiles on my face during some tough runs. However, one track, Amazing Grace, has now been churned out by 3 different artists (Christina Aguilera, Leanne Rhymes and 1 unknown male) and i'm beginning to wonder if my i-pod thinks I am going to need a prayer to complete the marathon, HaHaHa!! Looking forward to the Elvis rendition this coming weekend. image

SteveD73 - sounds like everyone has had at least 1 moral zapping run, me included, put this one down to experience and take confidence in all the good work you have put in over the weeks.

Good running everyone, stay well.

• Options
    SteveD73 - dont worry we all have bad runs, mine was terrible on Friday, but coming down with flu hasnty helped, and with all the training the body is worn out with 3 weeks of relative rest you will be fighting fit for race day.
  • Options
    Barry coincidence. I'm getting married in June. The entrance music will be acoustic guitar AMAZING GRACE and whilst the registers are being signed, you guessed it Elvis version of AMAZING GRACE image. My mums favorite artist was Elvis and her favorite song was amazing grace. You're post brought a smile to my face. Ps well done on the run too image
  • Options

Haha!, that's made my day MarkD, thanks. And congratulations on the upcoming nuptials, wishing you a wonderful and memorable day.

Oh, i forgot to mention earlier - race number 5272 Blue.  

• Options
    TridiverTridiver ✭✭✭
    Good run with the GVH yesterday, nice and cool running throught the forest. Got home in 3:17. Legs tried but not too achy today. Felt strong for the last 4 miles, think I'm ready as I'm gona be.
  • Options
    Juggler234 wrote (see)

Last LSR done image Went pretty well, 20 miles in under 3 hours. Joined in with Brighton Marathon running group and spent some time catching up with old friends, so average pace ws a bit slower, but plenty of miles around MP, including 5 of the last 6 (Slipped going down some steps during mile 19, so that slowed me a bit for a while image.

Hi Juggler - if those were the steps on the bridge at Hove station, then it was me you were running with for the extra lap around Hove park! Nice to meet you. You made up for the lost time though because I logged a sub 7:30 mile in the park after that. image

If it wasn't the steps at Hove station, then it probably wasn't me, so just ignore me... image

• Options
    the taper begins in earnest i only have one full week at work now before Brighton as we have a bank holiday next week a bank holiday the week after then i only work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of that week and then i am on holiday on the Thursday and were off to Brighton on the Friday
  • Options

accuweather has marathon day as 12 and sunny. just about perfect weather.

managed to box off my bad run (thank you lindsay young 2). miles 10 -16 were 51.30 so pretty much bang on MP pace. I fell apart from 17 onwards, but it is pretty constantly uphill and I tried the first steep bit too fast. Also had to remember that the LSR is about building endurance so the benefit will come in three weeks time just when I need it most.

decided i'm going to do a mini taper this week and really go for it on the Croydon HM on Sunday. That way I set myself a realistic pace for the marathon and get a decent pb logged.

• Options

I thought I'd better say 'hello' to those of you who were on the Brighton Marathon training group run yesterday.

I was the crazy lady in a green top and gel belt that grinned and waved like a lunatic and said 'hi' to you all at/near Preston Park and also along the seafront!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My Brighton number has arrived Green 2783.
  • Options
    Tracy G - I'm green 2808!!
  • Options

rondo - oooh, 12 and sunny would be PERFECT please!  Ran Windermere Mara last year in May and got HAILED on at start.....

I'm getting really excited.  Did an 800m interval session today, have stopped obsessing (so much) about what pace I'll go for on the day, might just relax and see how I feel!  (No doubt will start panicking again during taper but that's where I am for now!).

Jealous of those of you who live in Brighton and can run by the sea every day......

• Options

Some brilliant long runs over the weekend. Well done everyone. 

Juggler thanks for the compliment.  your training seems to be going well in itself !!

Just did 8 today Myself. It was hot in the midday sun. I reckon thats the best time to run at the moment in terms of climatising of the race. When I ran 23 on Saturday in the midday sun = no problems as I ran very leisurely. Todays was MP, a lot harder than it should have been. Easy enough for 8 miles - but know thats there was no way that would keep up after 3+ hours. Will need an excellent water/salt strategy on the day if its this sunny. 

• Options

I drank a blue powerade as soon as I got to 20 from a garage and it transformed me instantly from a wilting wreck to someone who could function. I do think it is a very good rehydrator so will be using that on the day. definitely does more than just water.

WW I am sticking to 8.15 as my starter. I think I will drift down from that (as  in slow down) once I get to mile 18, but you will probably drift up. Anybody who wants to join the unofficial 8.15 club is more than welcome.

• Options
    Wonder Woman - It was great running by the sea on Saturday. The sea was really calm, not a single wave. The main problem was half of Sussex was down on the promenade by about 10am, so a lot of weaving was required close to town.
  • Options

Juggler: decent long run from you and looking at the pace I reckon sub 4 is a real possibility. Well done on testing out the water pouches, something less to worry about now we know there not a problem to drink from and can easily be squeezed over the head.

W W: running along the beach is great, but I find I have to do it early in the day otherwise there as just to many people getting in the way.

rondo: if you start at 8:15 and except you will slow down, you could be better of starting at 8:30 and then you might not slow so much latter on and run a faster time. But the Croydon half this weekend will give you your real target marathon pace, hope it goes to plan, I too have a half lined up to work out my Brighton marathon pace.

AGF: sounds a wise idea getting some miles in with the sun beating down on you. I hope I do not regret come race day doing most of my long training runs really early in the morning.

Spen: hope the flu passes soon, but probably best to have now rather then a few weeks time.

Limper: has the race pack arrived yet?

• Options

Afternoon all

Well done and dusted that one more run closer to the big day just 1 more MWLR to do now if you can call 6 miles long

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    @ Solent Runner - no race pack yet image

• Options
    limper: probably best not to panic until the end of week, you never know it might arrive tomorrow.
  • Options
    Me neither limper. I'm only gonna worry when I'm the last one on this forum without mine image
  • Options

Beware being offered free drinks on BA flights on a Friday afternoon when you have a long run on Saturday.  A couple of whisky minatures on the flight slipped down too easily and lured me into having another on the Gatwick Express.  Once i arrived home the bottle of red wine my wife had just opened was too inviting and went very well with the curry.

Lying in bed early Saturday morning the damage was done, the head hurt and the mouth was dry.  If it wasn't for letting down my running partner I would have succumb.

However it was a strange confidence booster - I ran a 20 miler from Hammersmith to Ham and back along the Thames and felt absolutely cak for the last 4 miles.  However this was done with a hangover and lack of sleep and whilst I felt bad by the end I could had struggled on.

Next week I will be testing the benfits of Stella Artois and KFC

I'm running as Red 7264

• Options

If I'm aiming to do sub 3.30 what sort of starting pace would be recommended? I haven't really been able to figure out a best strategy.

Some of my fastest runs have started with me hitting around 7:20 - 7:40 for the first 10 miles or so. I seem to be able to maintain that for anything up to 16-18 miles. Obviously the risk here is burning out and my pace really dropping off for the last 6 miles.

However when I've done my LSRs I've started slower and found it much harder to pick up my to marathon pace towards the end despite starting more conservatively.

• Options

Hi all! Lots of activity on this thread today. Is this the excitment of 20 days to go ... or the madness of taper time setting in ???

Nick smith 41, Yes that was me slipping on the steps at Hove station image. Likewise, good to meet you, and thanks for doing the extra lap. I couldn't quite believe my Garmin when I saw how the pace had picked up over that mile(!)

Anne Solley, encouraging waves (crazy or otherwise!) are always appreciated, as they were again yesterday image

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    Heisenberg. The nice way is to start conservatively. You look like you should be aiming for about 3.20 territory. About 7.40's. Start off at this and speed up if you can towards the end. Believe me when I say you don't wanna do it the hard way. Setting off too fast !!! It's difficult to explain the feeling when you hit that wall. You may well finish but you will not have enjoyed the experience image
  • Options

Rest day for me today..but will do a few toning exercises along to the dvd....

The weather is lush right now nice for walking the dog....i can still remember the heat from last years marathon so lets hope it stays cool.. even in 2010 it was around 17 degrees if i remember rightly....i know i got a lovely tan both years...

im taking a 1000 mg of vit c and a high strength echinecia every day now ...had a few customers in with cold and lurgy bugs coughing and sneezing everywhere ive told people if they have said lurgy not to bother entering my place of employment its a good job they are a  friendly understanding lot ...and i can get away with said banter....image

• Options

Hi Everyone

So impressed with the hard work you have all put in! My story so far........

London 2011: plagued with niggling pathetic injuries leading up to the day, including 3 weeks of no running in the February. Had a plan....didnt work. Felt dejected with the time (5.20.. yeh I know ). Said never EVER again.

Brighton 2012: I am oldimage so decided to not put in so many junk miles this time ( to avoid pescy injuries) and do more cross training. Feel so much better for it but have to confess my longest run has been only 16 miles. I have done 15, 13.2, 12 and 13 miles last 4 Sundays and have felt I have more in the tank.

But feel a bit panicky now, part of me wants to really enjoy it this time, just get round, but a big slice wants to really improve on last year . My fastest half is 1.55 , but mainly 2 hrs 5 ; the half is my real comfort zone. Don't know whether to follow a pacer or  run a good half and make the rest up as I go along....? 

Sorry I guess I am just thinking out loud, but good to off load it to people who care. None of my friends run so should have joined a running club I guess.

Anyway on a more positive note, I am really looking forward to going to Brighton, will poke my nose into Choccywaakydooda and really hope the weather is similar to Saturday just gone ( some cloud, 14 and some sun.)

Can anybody confirm that MP3 s are NOT allowed... I can't find it written anywhere. I find music helps.