Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Morning all

i did a 40 minute work in the garage yesterday i did 10 minutes each on the cross trainer, bike, treadmill and rowing machine just 5 miles today my well do them on the treadmill if the weather bad

Mantras if at first you don’t succeed give up or there’s just think there a bacon roll with your name on it at the end of this or only marathon runners  rush in were fools dare to tread image

No seriously for the first couple of miles i tell myself over and over just run at a steady place not to fast now  

Katie your from my neck of the woods we will be leaving Bristol on Friday but we are staying the week so won’t be back to next Friday

juggler no secret plan and no it’s not a p** up either

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with Juggler - "there is only one first marathon". Just enjoy it.
    Then do your second, your third, a fourth, then the fifth... then admit the madness has taken over image

A very busy work week ahead for me and a fair bit of driving as well. There wouldn't be time for a runette even if I wanted one. My job and lifestyle keep me on my feet for most of the day though.

I don't really have any mantras. I do a lot of 'putting the world to rights' as I plod along. Goodness knows what I'll use for distraction once my world finally does come right!!

Now, on a serious matter... do choccy Easter eggs really only contain carbs and protein and how many per day should I be consuming this week? image
  • Options

Ordered my 305. Now I just have to panic over whether it'll turn up in time. I'm getting it delivered to my work but then I remember I'm not in office later in the week. I choose 1-2 days express delivery and they said expected delivery date is between 12th - 14th April. 2 - 4 days is hardly express!

Hoping it turns up tomorrow, so I can take it out a couple of times to test it out on short runs.

• Options

Oh yes defiantly only carbs and protein an i would be looking to eat one every day to boost energy levels and a sense of well being though you do have to be careful as there quit crafty and can trick you into eating more than 1   image

• Options

Heisenburg - but where would you be without uncertainty? In prinicple, nowhere. Sure it'll be fine.

Limper - you need to eat as many as you can physically stomach - or at least, that's what I've told H. image I'll run any spare calories off on Sunday - promise!

• Options

What's everyone's diet looking like for the week? The one benefit of tapering is I can spend more time preparing and cooking meals rather than just shovelling in food during the magic recovery hour.

I've been reading conflicting views on carb-loading in general. Any tips would be appreciated!

• Options

I am sure I read somewhere that carbs are only stored as glycogen for about 36 hrs, any longer than that it stores elsewhere and you cant use it quickly, not totally certain of this so correct me if I am wrong. But on this basis I dont think I will change my diet too much before Friday evening. I'm a pretty balanced eater anyway so I will just eat mailnly good carbs Friday evening and all day Saturday as well as hydrate as much as possible during that time. Wont eat too late on Sat either, some pasta early evening, without the creamy sauces, and maybe a sandwich later on, then a fairly high carb breakfast on Sunday but nothing too heavy.

Gosh I am restless this week, doing a bit of running to keep the legs ticking over but struggling to sit still for any length of time.

No real mantras for me beyond "stop being a wimp and run girl," although I do try to remember the people out there that would love to run but cant.

• Options

The nutritionist at the Brighton Marathon training day hammered it home about the 36 hour thing. You can't carb load all week. he also said don't eat it all in one meal, but constantly graze all saturday with carbs.

I'm going to a teenage cancer trust pasta party on saturday so thats my carb loading sorted. Are you going Lombster?

Why is it after 18 weeks of training I get asthamatic this week? I went for a fast 3 mile run in the park and my lungs were shot. Fortunately I don't intend to sprint on Sunday , but it does worry me.

Re the walk/jog to the start I was advised to not do any warm up at all as you need all your energy for the run itself. Their advice was to warm up during the first couple of miles while everyone gets moving slowly.

I have been told that 20 minutes of sprints on saturday morning is good just for the head to show your legs that can move fast too, and to break through the lethargy of the taper.

• Options
    Well I've been out and tested the leg. Some dynamic stretches (yes I did look a Plonker) and then a very gentle jog on grass. Less than a mile. No pain although could tell I was recovering from an injury. May not be perfect on Sunday but still a couple of days to rest image
  • Options

Hi all - this has moved on in 4 days, still not long to go.

For those that were part of Project 3.59, I think we should meet at the end of the baggage lorry that is nearest the pens, so the one nearest the bottom of the park at 8.35 ish if that is ok.

My biggest worry now is the weather and what to wear, all the training is done so no more can be done with that.

Rondo I agree with warming up during the first couple of miles, I alwaya need a couple of miles to get into a steady pace, the first mile has the hill in it and all the congestion of the start.

• Options

STIG109 - Good to hear about the lack of pain. Best of luck for Sunday.

Going by some of the earlier posts it seems I have been Carb and Protein loading for the last few days image .  Better leave those alone for the rest of this week then. Bring on the pasta et al for Friday and Saturday.

Mrs M, my 2 girls and I are staying in a Travelodge in Horsham Saturday night so only a 30 drive to the Mill Road parking (got my voucher last week so 1 less thing to worry about). Will now have to leave a little earlier than planned as I hadn't appreciated that the bus ride would be 20-25mins - Doh! Will be good to be on board though with the buzz of all the excitement and nerves. Talking of nerves, dreamt last night that I crossed the finish line in 4hr 15mins so not the sub 4 that i'm hoping for image. Maybe my mantra should be "Don't live the dream", Hahaha!

Just the 8.5miles for me on Sunday at just under MP. After a slugginsh start I relaxed and enjoyed the birdsong, the hush on the roads, and the lesser mileage after all the LSR's. Another 5miles on the treadmill this morning so just some 20min jogs to do.

Nearly there. .  .

• Options
    rondo - i'll be at the TCT pasta party too...so i'll see you there, i blame the cold air and panic setting in for your asthma
    I think I will be doing some slight stretches but that is just because i have had a few issues in training and want to target particular muscles at the start, but not doing anything major.

My taper madness is setting in though as couldnt sleep last night and woke in middle of night with panics - this is not a good sign! I need mantras to get through the week let alone get through Sunday!!!

Good Luck to all image
  • Options
    chrisg9chrisg9 ✭✭✭

HI all, have been lurking for a while so it's time to say "hello" image

3rd Brighton marathon for me, not sure what I think of the changes to the course as the bit where they have added always seems like a struggle as runners pass you in the other way.

I've constantly read about carb loading 3 days before the race, so will be hitting the Jelly Babies from Thursday.

I think I will spend the next 5 days looking at the weather reports.

Good luck all

• Options
    Best of luck to you all. I'm coming in support of my inspirational husband who is doing it barefoot - he'll be the one in the Ellen MacArthur Trust t-shirt.

If the pre-race jitters are getting to you, perhaps try out the Yoga for Runners Workshop on Saturday afternoon at Yogahaven, Brighton - 2pm. Just a great way to stretch gently out and calm any final nerves. I'm already looking forward to seeing a number of you there. It'll give you some space to work deeply with those mantras so they're really embedded when you need them Sunday.

http://yoga4runners-brighton.eventbrite.com/
  • Options
    Bear foot wow!!! Respect.

I'll be cutting back on carbs til Wednesday almost Atkins diet then carb load thurs onwards. With pizza saturday lunch and egg fried rice saturday night. I can't remember where I read to do it like this,to deplete your glycogen store before loading. But it has worked for me when I do it this way. Might just be in my head.
    When I'm floundering I just look at the person in front and tell myself if they can do it then I can!!!!!
  • Options

Arrrgh, my head's all over the place at the moment!! I've avoided the Easter eggs this weekend but so much for staying off the alcohol until the 15th: I had two bottles of red wine Saturday and about 10 pints of lager Sunday night! To make matters worse I've also got a trapped nerve in my back so in agony today at work. I still ran 3 miles this morning though thinking that might help - it didn't! So currently on ibuprofen and codeine, will have a good stretch on the foam roller tonight, hopefully get more than 2 hours sleep and got a session with the osteo Friday. I thought I'd be better this year with the amount of training I've done but I'm so worried now about Sunday. PMA, PMA, PMA!

Rondo - wasn't planning on going to the TCT pasta party as I didn't think I'd be able to fit it in as well as the 4pm meet up. Saying that though I haven't even thought about food yet for Saturday evening so may well come along. Would be good to meet some of the other TCT runners.

• Options
    10 pints ! I can't drink 2 pints now days. Fair play to ya
  • Options

Lombster - same as STIG I could not drink 10 pints now, I hope the trapped nerve sorts itself out. I will take my own food down for saturday night, normally cold pasta, I know exactly what is in it and dont want to risk a dodgy stomach on race morning.

MarkD - I have read about your approach somewhere, I use a similiar approach with caffiene, cout it out for about a week before race day, and then get the full effect from caffiene gels and energy drinks.

take care everyone

• Options

Lombster: 10 pints! that's a marathon session itself.

Regarding the carb load, this is my 7th marathon and still do not think I have got this right yet. Always tweaking things to find the perfect diet in the days leading up to race. 

• Options

Seems I have a new question every day that involves me spending money! Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced sport earphones?

My Apple one's are knackered (and they are pretty crap to being with!). I need a pair that are gonna be water/sweat resistant. Problem is I find some earphone types really uncomfortable. I don't really like over the ear hooks and prefer to have the option to have only one in so preferably not a neckband version.

Are Sennheiser's sport range decent? 

• Options

Afternoon all image

I see that taper madness is in full swing!!!

Barry M, the protein is supposed to be there for the first part of the week, it's the carb-load that's left to the second part. image -I'm currently eating tins of fish -although I'm not sure it's the most sociable way of amassing protein!

Ref whether or not to carb-deplete prior to carb loading, the jury is still out in terms of the studies done. Personally, I wonder if that's simply because people are different, and one approach suits some people better than others, and vice versa. Irrespective, they all agree with carboloading in the final 2-3 days.

STIG, very pleased the leg was ok! As you say, no problem with more rest now.

Lombster, really hope the nerve settles before Sunday!

chrisg9, welcome to the thread! Carb loading from Thursday should really start with some complex carbs, jelly babies are the short term boost -excellent whilst running, or just before the start, and pretty good when recovering from a run(!)

Waves to all imageimageimage

p.s. Just seen Heisenberg's post. Daughter has enjoyed using Sennheiser before, and seemed to like them. She used them a lot down the gym.

• Options
    LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

10 pints???!  Man, I remember those days.  I had 4 cans about a month ago, spread over 5 hours and I went to bed with a stonking headache!!!

SPEN - baggage lorry meet at 8.35am sounds ideal to me!

I'm starting the carbo load tomorrow, when I'll be eating a bucket of pasta.  I've been drinking a bottle of lucozade sport/powerade a day since sunday and plan to keep this up.  i'm off the tea (don't drink coffee anyway) to cut as much caffienne from my diet too.

• Options

Not sure I can give up caffiene! I'm on my 4th cup of coffee and had a diet coke at lunch. I guess I'll attempt to limit it tomorrow. I got some caffeine free cokes I can drink to fool myself instead of the diet coke. Maybe caffiene free coffee too?

• Options

after much debate as to whether to go out for a run or do them on the treadmill i finally got my bum out the door i had to go in to work sometime today any way as i owed lottery money so decided to run into work and combine the 2 the run should have been 5 miles but i miss calculated and by the time i got there i had already done just over 3

so i ended up doing 6:60 miles Avg pace of 9:11 which was a bit of a shock as i felt i was struggling and all my fitness had gone i have the horrible feeling to i am coming down with a cold just hoping i can hold it at bay until after Sunday

i have a 4 mile run to do tomorrow that’s the last  one the excitement is setting in but i am being to get quite nervous about it all

especially as i now declared to the world i am going for that magic sub 4hr but to be honest i am wondering whether i bitten of more than i can chew and put myself under unnecessary   pressure

but on the other hand do i just fall back in to my own comfort zone and just be happy to knock maybe a couple of seconds off as Spen said for him it’s all about heart and in the end if i don’t try i will never know

i shall be packing on Thursday as we leave for Brighton on Friday Morning

• Options
    What is the science behind giving up coffee? I can't do, no way! I usually have three even on race morning...
  • Options
    Olly - the idea is that if you give up caffeine your body will react more to it when you have it again
  • Options

i have to say i with you Olly most of my long runs were done on a cup of coffee before i went out i always joke that if my caffeine level drops below a certain point am useless

• Options

Had the kids at work all day and so been watching youtube clips of people hitting the wall and crawling over the line. Please let that not be me.

Toby you seem to do an incredible amount of mileage. Even now.

Just two miles tomorrow morning and a few sprints on saturday morning.

Bag packed and repacked. OH wants to know why I'm not this organized when it comes to holiday packing.

• Options

Hi everyone,

I see forumites are all going bonkers!

I went out for a 3 mile run earlier this morning and followed it up with a sports massage so my legs are feeling nice and loose but with a few finger shaped bruises on them!

I have decided that as I'm on holiday all week I'm going to cook something nutritious every day and that I'd also do some baking. I now have a pile of oatmeal & sultana cookies and also some sweet potato muffins. Obviously, I've had do taste them!! image

The muffin recipe is from the April RW magazine and I can confirm that they're quite edible.Can't really taste the sweet potato but there's a pleasant hint of ginger in them. Theyare also really filling.

Yesterday we had a chilli made with turkey mince and tonight I'm cooking salmon and noodle parcels. Shepherd's pie tomorrow and then the carbo loading will begin in earnest. 

Not sure if I'll do any more running as, as my sport's therapist said, - it's not going to make any difference to my fitness. 

I always start my day with coffee including any days I'm running. I am cutting down this week a bit though just in the hope that the caffeine in my last couple of gels will have a greater effect.   Only 2 so far today image