Options

Suitably Humbled

Ran a 10k race in Cranleigh on Sunday, and coud do little but stand and admire one of the guys who was running, as he had a prosthetic leg... How much respect does that deserve!

Would like to think I would have the determination to keep running/exercising if something like that were to happen to me, but suspect I might fall victim to a bit of self pity.

Comments

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    My Dad had an artificial leg for 50 years after a motorbike accident in 1952. I never once heard him complain. They put us to shame sometimes, don't they rocks!!
  • Options
    I was on a rowing machine next to a guy in his 60s who was a regular at the gym when I noticed he was only using one leg, the other was resting to the side. Knee problem I chirped? No, only one leg, other's false. Humbling indeed. But running a 10k? Wow!
  • Options
    I think it was 98 London Marathon that I saw a man with one leg, a roller skate and crutches! Can you imagine what the cobbles at the Tower of London (22 miles) would've been like.

I finished ahead of him but not by much. Hats off!!!
  • Options
    The Roth Ironman distance triathlon in Germany has several disabled triathletes every year. Believe - it's amazing to complete the 226 kms yourself, but to see people with prosthetic legs and arms brings tears to your eyes. 2 years ago there was a blind woman competitor. She swam the 3.8 kms connected to her husband with a rope, pedalled the 180kms bike ride on the back of a tandem with her husband steering, and then ran the marathon again connected to her hubby with a rope. And it's hard enough for me to do it with all my faculties.
    These athletes really make you feel humble.