Oxford Half Marathon

Just been announced today that this will be on 25th September. Starting from the Kas stad, taking in the mini plant and into town and back to stadium for finish - great for us Yellows fans! Will be in aid of Helen House Hospice and sponsored by Mini.

Can't find much more detail yet other than the below but sounds good to me!

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourtown/oxford/9056282.City_half_marathon_plan_unveiled/

Comments

• Same day as Winsor... Bugger.
  • Could be tempted. 

I remember a previous version of a half-marathon in Oxford but that was in about 1990!!!

• Oooh, this sounds good, I was looking for a late Sept HM without having to travel too far, and this could be it!
  • im in too-is it  a definate cert to be on?image
  • http://www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk/

This appears to be the official site, it's being launched Thursday so it seems like it is really happening.

• Item on local Tv news tonight
  • thats great, the route should be fairly flat too- not many hills around these oxfordshire partsimage
  • Loulabell, don't tempt fate, I'm sure they can find some!!
  • ooooo..yes, thats true!image...i have a knack of picking races with hillsimage...every blimmin time!!
  • there is one hill, morrels avenue, but luckily we'll be going down it.
  • Looks like it could become a good race to add to the ever growing calendar, not sure if some smaller races will suffer because of this though ?

FH
  • I agree, Funny Hat - I am interested in seeing how this race goes, but worried about the timing of the race. September and early October are already heavy with excellent (and relatively small) local races, especially Woodstock 12 the weekend beforehand and Witney 10 the weekend before that. Having said that, I did travel to New Forest Half that last weekend of September last year as I wanted a half-marathon before Abingdon...but I think those 3 hard races in a row did me in a bit! I will be watching from the sidelines this year.
  • told myself i was done with for halfs for the year, but could be an interesting one, if they can guarantee flatness, and no wind image
  • Go onnnnnn...
  • thats what i want. flat, not too hot, no gales to run against-seems i end up with that everytime, fingers crossed for this one...wonder how much the entry is?image
  • hello pipes!image how are you? i was thinking of doing woodstock 12 too...but i really like the sound of the OX HMimage
  • Hello loulabell! I'm ok - awaiting hip surgery. How are you? Are you racing again soon? You could do both events...Woodstock would be much cheaper, I'd imagine...and arguably more scenic. But a half is a half...
  • Site still not up and working.

There was a post on the Oxford Mail site about them closing the ringroad for it - now that would cause chaos - even on a Sunday.

• omgosh!! CLOSE the ringroad? .....imagine the backlog to Bicester Village?lolimage....i rushed home especially to log on and enter!!image
  • hmmm, site still says launching 2/6/11 but does nothing. Is that a bad omen, or have I done something stupid in the techhy department?!
  • No Helen don't think it's you as I find it the same so not sure what's occurring.

Regarding closing the ring road - can't imagine that happening. I assume there must be a subway somewhere between the mini plant and Headington? There are certainly ways of going under the ring road on the route back e.g. Oxford Rd into Littlemore or isn't there a bridge at Rose Hill? 

• Website now saying it will go live today so looks as if something is happening behing the scenes and it should be up and running soon

http://www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk/

• Looks interesting, although I hear they failed to consult with Oxfordshire AA or any local clubs, which is a bit odd and as of a few days ago hadn't applied for a UKA licence.  I hope that's not a reflection on the quality of the race organization as it could be a good event.
  • Helen Liz wrote (see)
    hmmm, site still says launching 2/6/11 but does nothing. Is that a bad omen, or have I done something stupid in the techhy department?!

i was thinking that tooimage...i was wondering why they announced it before even getting a uk athletics licence and accepted road management plan confirmed?image

simon, yes i think there is a bridge at R.hill...that would be the better option.....

• Map and course details on website nowimage

• Ahh, that takes me back to my first ever outside run.  I was staying in Oxford with work at the Holiday Inn by the Kassam and cos there was no gym decided to try running, I ran down Grenoble Road where the route goes towards the BMW plant!

Let's hope they have finished the Heyford Hill roundadbout by then as the cycle track is very narrow past it at present!

• has anyone entered yet? im waiting for monday to do it onlineimage
  • It is possible that they officially launched it to try to force the hand of the council. 

Like Mothrunner, i have also heard that it hasn't been officially measured, hasn't got a UKA road licence and the road closures/ traffic management plans haven't been agreed.  Until last Friday (ie 5 days after the newspapers broke the story) the organisers hadn't contacted Oxon AA or the local clubs.  Not sure who they will get to help with marshalling if they don't get the clubs on board, especially in view of the price of entry.  Before I cough up £20 i'd like to see some of these issues resolved.

It does seem very altruistic of someone from Somerset to set up a road race for those runners in Oxfordshire.... Must be a very kind hearted person.

• It seems that Mini say they aren't major sponsors of the event, and are unhappy about how their involvement has been portrayed.  There may well be good explanations for all these issues, but I would be very wary about parting with any cash at the moment.
  • Mothrunner- i had heard that too.