Options

St Albans Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I've done the Herts 10k twice, won't be doing it this year as I've got the Royal Parks HM on the same day.

I loved the training routes when I lived in St Albans. Running around the lake at the crack of dawn was lovely.

I know I should be doing Marlow but I just don't want to! We got lucky with the weather yesterday (in some sense anyway), but I'm thinking July is going to be too hot to run 1 HM, let alone 2.

I'm starting to consider PP's Grand Union HM in November though, a week before the Dirt HM.

• Options
    Yesterday was the 2nd time i've done this HM, living in St Albans it's great to get a really well organised and supported local race, just a bit of a shame the route doesn't take more of the city into it (although sending everyone up Hollywell hill might be a bit harsh). Lots of water stations, several which I just passed by. There were 2 minor issues, firstly the starts zones weren't that clearly marked, so ended up starting with slower runners, which meant weaving to get through them, and the baggage was a bit slow, however I set a new PB 1:56:59 (on my nike plus watch) so not all bad.

I didn't get a text with my time image are the results on line yet?

I'll be back next year though!
  • Options

I think you had to register or tick somewhere to get a text.

No just had a look and sent them an email to ask when they will go up.

Me too and well done on the PB

• Options

well organised race but still no results by Monday lunchtime?

Think it's the same timing company as messed up the Wiggle Dragon ride chips last week.....

• Options
    It might have been me not ticking the right box or something so I didn't get a text, but I still want to see my chip time!
  • Options

me too - I got a text last year by the time I got to my car and was really impressed - nothing  this year. 

Still given I got a 2 year personal worst I shoudn't really care should I!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I don't remember ticking any box on the entry to get my text. Can you remember whether you put your mobile number down on the form though?

I never saw the start zones either, & the people around me didn't know too. I just took a gamble at where to start - near the back!

• Options
    I have no idea K8, probably not judging by the lack of text lol
  • Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Results are up image
  • Options
    Wooohooo 4 seconds faster than my watch said!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Yes, I didn't come last! image

Ok, I knew that on the day but it's good to have it confirmed with the results.

• Options
    I just missed out on the top 200, but got a PB anyway, so pretty pleased. I had a text by late afternoon with my time, then did exactly the same on the website - looked at last year's results, thinking they were this year's, and not understanding why I wasn't on there. I must admit, the one thing I would change was the narrowness of the first 800 yards. Proved difficult to get past the inevitable slow starters at the front.
  • Options
    Whilst i'm not quite in the same league as you Peter, I found some of the lanes later on difficult to pass people on. Groups running 3 or 4 abreast blocking the whole road, but this goes back to not starting in the right place. The entrance flags could have had the time zones on maybe, to make it really clear.
  • Options
    That sort of thing happens all over, Matt. I usually try to keep aware of who's behind me and if they want to get past, give them some room and a nod. In all fairness, it can be difficult if you're just trying to forget how much your body hurts! At about halfway an admittedly very nice and friendly bloke started chatting to me about prospective finishing times and how was I feeling and so on. I tried to answer between gulping breaths, but I find it hard to talk at times like that!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

In my category I came 179th! That sounds so much better then my overall position image

I had one woman pull up along side me around 7 miles to tell me that I was going to be her pacemaker! I was recovering from a hill at the time. But it took me out of my own zone, back to the fact I was in a race. She stayed with me for a while but I have no idea when she dropped behind.

I thought everyone was polite, there was times when I had to move around slower runners but no-one was blocking the road or anything.

Shame it wasn't listed as an event on here as I'd love to give a review for others.

• Options
    Yeah. Why's it not reviewed here? Or the London 10000?
  • Options

I did this two years ago in about 1.47 - so was very pleased to come in at just under 1.40.

Got off to a shocking start - I didn't see that the pens were divided into two, so I started off in the middle of the second pen - was a real pain running through the park at the start, I ended up going under the barrier so I could run rather than walk. They really need to reconsider the start ?

Was glad of the rain though, especialy at the hilly part around the 6 mile mark !

Also glad I didn't use the bag drop - one of our group did, he was still queueing when we left 1/2 an hour later - bit of a joke how undermanned that was.

But would like to thank all the marshalls, were plenty out on the course, can;t have been much fun for them standing in the rain.

Overall - would I do it again ? Probably, but mainly only as it's local......

• Options
    Well got the bug back now which is great as i said in an earlier post i did not run in April and only a little in May.
    Did 1hr 46, which i will take as i had stitch and shin splints for 6 miles (clearly need to warm up better, well i am still an amateur)

Had a rest day yesterday but went to my old spin class today, jesus is all i can say.

My running partner and i are looking to do a 10k on the 3rd of July, any you guys and girls done either the "Spire Bushey 1/4 Marathon or the Regents Park race?" If so would love to hear your feedback.

My best for 10k is just under 45 so will be looking to beat that.

I think they had plenty of water stations as people were complaining how hot it has been the last few years, but as someone else said a cup of tea at the end would have been nice, but secretly i enjoyed the lolly.

Karina and i will be running in St Albans tomorrow night (probably something long and slow) from the Ancient Briton if you want to join (remember our times though 1hr 46 and 1hr 50m dont want to hold people up rather more the better really.

I agree that the pens were not clearly marked, but i was told to get up the front to make the start easier, ended up next to a friend who normally runs 1hr 25ish, OOPS.

As we all have chips on why not stagger the start 80m to 90m - 90 to 100m and so on with a ten second gap between the last person from the group in front crossing the line and then letting the next group go, or is that just to logical?

Also a bit of a pain when the big yellow lorry came down one of the lanes as we headed towards serge hill.

Well hope you are all feeling ok, take it easy

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Hey JB,

I did Bushey 1/4 Marathon last year & I'm in it again this year. It's a pleasant race, much smaller scale the SA HM & a bargin at about £10. Few hills in it, nothing too bad but there is a long one at the end as you head up from the town to the start/finish area. If you're bringing friends/family I think that there is some bits to keep them entertain esp. kids.

If there's anything else you want to know about it ask away & I'll try and stir my memory!

• Options
    Cheers K8.

Is it chipped?
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure it's not. The start isn't very fancy, you all just stand in a field & wait for someone to shout 'Go'! It's quite a simple affair but then that's part of it's charm.

Check out the reviews for it in the events section.

• Options
    Cool

Just for information i have sent an email to the Race Director for the St Albans HM.

Highlighted the following:

1. The Pens should have been better marked both inside and outside the pens.
    2. The start should be staggered i.e. 10 sec between last person and first person of next group.
    3. As we are running over grass at the start can the bloody pot holes be filled in or covered.
    4. Some music at the start to get everyone charged up "Run to the Beat style"
    5. Suggested that when race numbers are sent out so are bag tags that way we can just drop the bags when we are ready to hand them in.
    6. Put dropped bags in number order to make it easier to find so people dont need to wait as long.

So lets see her response

JB
  • Options

Good suggestions from the King of soulimage(or funk or whatever)

• Options
    The race director has replied by saying my suggestions have gone to the commitee.

So lets see

Soul is better, especially the way i dance after a few German J' Bombs
  • Options

well done- I feel goodimage

• Options

Well done JB,  good list of improvements i think.

just adding to the bag collection point, was or is it really necessary for groups of say 4 or 6 or sometimes more peeps to collect one runners bag and all stand in the queue !!

i reckon there must have been three or four times the amount people , families, kids , friends , dogs,bikes, scooters etc than  actual runners collecting bags , why dont people have the sense to say, i will collect my bag on my own, you waitt just over there out of the queue mmmmm sounds too easy.

On the whole a good well marshalled event, good atmosphere even though the long wait at the start,

Also cant they do anything about them bloody hills lolimage, nah just being silly.

enjoyed it even though a little slower than i woulda liked, thats life i guess, must train harder springs to mind more hill work !!!! . I will be back next year no doubt. well done to all that took part.