Options

PSOF Championships 2012

Comments

• Options

That's intersesting Big Al.  I do aim for a high cadence but I'm sure I don't hit average of 90-100rpm.  I have a cadence sensor on my turbo bike but not my road bike. 

On my turbo I aim for 15 miles in 50-55 mins but go up and down a number of gears keeping my cadence high enough to maintain my HR between 75-85% max.  That works out between 84-94 rpm, depending on the gear and feels like a type of interval session.

On the road I try to maintain an average speed of between 15-16 mph and mainly use my gears to stop my HR climbing through the roof.

Do you think I should be paying more attention to cadence?  I'm aware of keeping the pedals spinning but haven't been training by the numbers.

• Options

Cadence is cadence. Everyone is different.

Fink has me doing a 1hr 100RPM+ spin session each week at the moment, which is great practise. But once on the road and the backwheel has a little more load I'm somewhere between 85-95.

You're either a grinder or a spinner.

• Options
    Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Surely this isn't strictly true. 

If so then why do I train to get better if it's set in stone that I'm either a spinner or a grinder, or that everyone else will always be different?

• Options
    Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Can't say I agree with this, when I started road cycling about 8 years ago I used to mash the pedals in the higher gears which was great for speed over a short distance (I could give some more experinced riders a run for their money) but I would inevitably start suffering from lactic acid build up and quickly burn out.

A few experienced riders talked to me about cadence which was something that I'd never even considered before so I gave it a go, over time I got used to it and now I use a high cadence pretty much all the time ranging from a usual 90-100rpm up to maybe 120 on a hill ( unless I'm doing sprints or pushing on for a threshold ride.)

This method was really brought to the public eye after Lance Armstrong won his cancer battle and returned to cycling. His muscular make up was completely different to before he contracted cancer and he found he could no longer mash on in the high gears. He was forced to use the lower gears and increase his cadence in order to sustain his training.

I think we are all aware of how prolific Mr Armstrong became (despite lingering rumours) but even if he did have some pharmecutical help no one can deny that he was still a fantastic cyclist.

• Options

Agree with Al, yourneeding to consentrate on endurance and not just speed. If it helps with your thinking the golden speed is about 16 mph on the race day to get around the course anything higher is showing off. It's janurary now so your speed will inprove drastialy with long bike rides in the next few months as your training kick's up.

For short bike ride into w**k Hammer the gears just to annoy the car drivers stuck in traffic but normally it's mid to low gears depending on the situation and distance. Don't have a bike conputer that can show this and don't really know to much about the tecnical cadence but would be surplised if that doesn't translate into about 90 to 100 if I took the time to check it. 

• Options
    SteadyCJ wrote (see)

I think my little legs could only manage 92 rpm for about 2 mins  at present.

CJ that's what I thought - but I managed 10 at the top of a pyramid sesh which left me in a good mood all evening.image

The cadence debate is interesting.  From what I understand (from reading a lot; I don't have a technical bike background) no one would deny that using a gear that you can achieve a high cadence with is much better than mashing a high gear. However,  because I'm not a cyclist, don't want to be and don't care THAT much, I like the sentiment that we're all different and everyone's sweet spot is different when it comes to ideal cadence. 

I guess that you might be able to train your sweetspot to be at a higher cadence though.

• Options

In other news, I bumped into IronTractorBoy in the pool this morning!  Didn't know we lived in the same neck of the woods - but the pirate water bottle brought us together (blush).  He's also doing the same training camp which is great.

Was nice to meet you ITB!

• Options
    the high cadence sessions are for technique and muscle memory more than putting them speeds into practice. if you can sustain 100rpm for an hour with nice even pedal pressure over 360° when you go out and race 90rpm seems more leisurely and you have gained efficiency from a better technique. - i think - image
  • Options

That makes sense DK. That's why it was hard for me to do 92rpm at first - just not used to it. But I GOT used to it quickly so will be interesting to see how it progresses. image

• Options

That ITB gets around! I bumped in to him at an XC league race.

I stick by what I said earlier. BigAl confirms it too; old Lance was a grinder, new Lance is a spinner. Like 2 different people image

• Options
    Pretty sure that if you're new to this, riding at a higher cadence helps you when you get off the bike and onto the run with fewer issues, as you won't have mashed your legs and they will be able to run.

(I'm no expert though. Best to ask one of those proper triathlete types)
  • Options

I am a grinder and Coach Troy expects me to spin at 120 in bursts. Don't tell him but I can't get much over 115-120 in most of the bursts. The high cadence is proper hard and slower (hope it helps somewhere)

60-80 much more my style.

• Options

Hennie - which camp  are you doing - Shuffle is loolking for one......

re cadence, 

well there are 2 ways to go faster...... ride in a bigger gear, or push the pedals round faster.

a small increase in cadence over 6-7 hours makes a big difference in your distance covered........

• Options

My cadence has slowly increased over the years and these days I average about 85RPM over a long ride, given that are spells in that when I'm coasting downhill my normal cadence is around 90RPM up from the 75 to 80 RPM when I started, nothing like grinding up a big hill to increase leg strength though. When I'm racing a Olympic my cadence is often up around the 100RPM average.

• Options

Cat5, you may see me on Sunday at the last XC race, I am plan to do a brick session. I know that sounds a bit like training for the outlaw but I will going for good selection of the post XC race cakes.

Artful Hen, I was trying to work in the pool which if of the 3 people i nthe lane was the pirate, luckily I spotted the triathlon swim cap.

• Options
    Cat5 in the hat:
    "I stick by what I said earlier. BigAl confirms it too; old Lance was a grinder, new Lance is a spinner. Like 2 different people "

Lance was more like a sprinter beforehand and didn't start winning Tour De France etc until he was forced to change his style. He was a good cyclist beforehand but never had the ability to sustain his efforts and never had to run a marathon after he'd ridden. So yes it's possible to grind your way through it and get good results but it'll be easier on your legs if you spin it more which is surely beneficial after 112 miles on the bike with a marathon ahead of you!!

Surely efficiency is what you're aiming for in any long distance event?
  • Options
    ITB - I won't be at XC. It's the boy's birthday. Shame our race is cancelled. And I'll miss the cakes image
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    So yes it's possible to grind your way through it and get good results but it'll be easier on your legs if you spin it more which is surely beneficial after 112 miles on the bike with a marathon ahead of you!! Surely efficiency is what you're aiming for in any long distance event?
    Absolutely, and I'm a spinner.
  • Options

nearly 3 weeks of training completed and I would make the following observations...

• I'm shit 
    • Black Hawk Down is a good film to watch on the turbo
    • I'm shit, awe inspiringly, finger pointingly, specatuclarly, shit.
  • Options
    No, he's shit   image

• Options
    See - I even got TOTP with that image
  • Options
    OC - We're doing the Martin Yelling/Ian RunWildRunFree one in Lanza from 1-8 March. Pretty sure it's fully booked but in the past Ian has put out a call on FB and Twitter to fill the space.

Can't imagine anyone actually grinds their way round an IM. I will be crying my way round my sportive tomorrow. In the wind.

Glad you're enjoying your training, Oxy.

• Options
    My DVD collection has expanded since long turbo sessions.

Quick blast out on the road soon brings back how shit and fat I have gotten.
  • Options
    SOrry, that last post made not sense. Ian puts the call out if a space suddenly becomes available.
  • Options
    OC - Ian did a have a space for 1 female. Not sure its still available but would be great to have shufflebunny join us

• Options
    thanks, but it looks like its full now  image
  • Options
    anyone got a link for the camp-site??
  • Options
    oxymoron wrote (see)

nearly 3 weeks of training completed and I would make the following observations...

• I'm shit 
    • Black Hawk Down is a good film to watch on the turbo
    • I'm shit, awe inspiringly, finger pointingly, specatuclarly, shit.
    image Not just me then. image
  • Options
    Managed my first race of the tear yesterday, 2:05 for Helsby, Not stunning, But I had done all my Fink sessions apart from Saturdays, So hadn't tapered etc...