Options

Trekking poles for ultra races ????

2»

Comments

• Options

Banned from all Scottish Hill racing events including the Ultras in Scotland. Quite rightly too! Infamous experience on the West Highland Way race many years ago battling against the Caledonian challenge (charity walk) going the opposite way. So many people on their mobile phones with poles in the air - I think it was about 1000 people, so was having to negotiate past 2000 sharp pointy things! I had the scars to prove it.

• Options
    • Training - banned - I don't like it
    • Nutrition - banned - I don't need it
    • Navigation skills - banned
    • GPS - banned - definite advantage
    • Hats - banned - I get too warm and once got mugged by a bloke with a hat
    • Technical equipment - banned - cotton was OK in the 60s.

Some events allow sticks, some don't. Some events allow you to ride a bike for most of it (Triathlon). Walking events require one foot in connection with the ground at all times. I saw a bloke trip over a tree root and go flying - should I have had him banned?

Hllheader if you have a legitimate claim consider consulting a solicitor.

Other than that if sticks are OK then use them. Off to complain in a thread about what trail shoe to use about how they give an advantage.

M..eface

Next event LDWA 52 mile event in Kent - probably won't take sticks but may have a good torch - if that is OK with the rest of you?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Do you feel better after that? Want your toys back!? image

I don't care if peopel use sticks or not, I personally don't and most people can handle the jokes about them... some can't I guess.

This one makes me chuckle, It's likely I don't need to tell most of you the source but it is henk of Caesars Camp fame...
    "Cheating sticks or other aids of that ilk are no longer allowed. Running should be done on two legs and if those fail you go home. Alternatively, strap a pair of inov8's to your hands to crawl the damn thing, if only just for my amusement."

Off for the first of my back to backs of the weekend... shorts, shoes, water bottle. Perfect. image

• Options

So a East European pacer is no good then?

• Options

Sticks are banned from my event for a couple of reasons:

1/ They give an advantage as they take strain from the legs during climbs. I know everyone can carry them to level that out, but it's a race and not the LDWA like Smithy points out. 

2/ I have seen many occasions where are folks get spiked by them as most folks who carry them are the equivalent of drivers of German cars, ie. turning off unexpectedly without giving any notice.

3/ You look like a tw*t with them, also goes for Garmin in urban England, compression socks etc. 

This year there will be a special award at my event for those special insecure folks who need all this crap to run. 

• Options

Ooooh, special award! Or am I missing something?