Options

Monday 14th July 2003

7 miles steady with some fartlekking

Comments

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    4.9 miles with sprints, very humid and warm already.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I've a day off, so making the most of it!

What: am, 8M easy rec run. pm 8M steady
    Why: marathon training

Last hard: Sat & Sun
    Last rest: 17 day's ago
  • Options
    After a whole week off (on school trip) and a stinking cold did an off road half marathon yesterday and was only 1 min behind pb, thought I was taking it easy too.
    Training starts again today
    What: Club night, 8-10 miles hard.
  • Options
    Mornin',

what: BodyPump tonight & cycling to the gym and back
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Morning All,

Laura, the terrible race award is in my trophy cabinet and I've welded the doors shut as no-one is going to be taking this one back, surely!

What: 6-7M easy
    Why: Recovery run
    Last hard run: Yesterday was brutal despite snails pace.
    Last rest day: Saturday
  • Options
    morning

what: 8 mile recovery run followed by weights

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Morning,

Did a 12 miler last night. The heat wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I ran later than usual meaning I got back home at 10:00pm. That seemed to do the trick regarding the heat.

Gym work tonight, then running again Tuesday.

Have a good day!
  • Options
    Morning all,

I've been in Derbyshire all w-e and started runing again after the back problem on Friday. Pleased to report all went well. Two 8 milers under my belt.

What: About 7M steady
    Why: Because my back'sbetter and I can!
    Last hard: Sat up massive hills in the peaks.
    Last rest: yesterday

Matt - V. impressive. I guess if the 1/2M had been on road you'd have beaten your pb
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Matt-that was a very good performance off road. As already said it looks like you're in shape to grab a few new pb's!

What:not sure, I've got rest day on my schedule so I might just stick to that as my right calf is giving a bit of gyp! Otherwise it's circuits day.

Off work myself today, but I've got a job interview at 12.15-YIKES! Haven't been for an interview for 6 years, so feeling a little nervous. I'll just look at the interviewers and imagaine beating them in a marathon! Or if that doesn't work think of them sat there in their PJ's!!

Have a good day all!
  • Options
    Hi!

what slow run as have been feeling tired.

good luck with the intervew, Hilly.

Enjoy the day!
  • Options
    Hello you.

Raced yesterday, only 10K, spent the afternoon napping before giving in and retiring to bed at 9 o'clock, and sleeping through to 6. I think I avoided dehydration, but I'm beginning to wonder!

Anyway, today will be a rest day, I'm glad to say.

Have fun dodging the uv's.
  • Options
    Morning all

Here's my belated race report from Friday night - I never seem to manage to post at weekends.

Arrived at the park the race was taking place feeling tired and not really like racing, however, it was nice and cool. Found Popsider who went off to start at the front of the race, I went off into the main crowd and joined a group of clubmates. Estimated that I needed to be just inside 5:20 each km to be sub 53 mins which was the target. Started off steadily and managed to keep with a couple of clubmates who usually beat me. Went through 2k in 11:05 which was outside my target but wasn't too worried. Through 3k in 5:05 and next 2k in 10:14. Pleased with the times now as i was feeling quite strong and still keeping up with clubmates. Went through 6k in 5:12. 7k came up in 5:58 - not sure what happened, I didn't feel that I'd slowed but I'm not very good at pacing. I was still feeling quite good so pushed on a bit to try and get back the lost time. Surprised to see none of my clubmates come with me. 8k in4:14 and realise the km markers were a bit wayward. Anyway still feeling good (I really struggled from this point last time. I saw one of my other clubmates ahead and I was catching so knew I was doing OK - when I caught her though she was walking as she had severe stomach cramps. 9k in 5:21 now overtaking people although someone comes charging past me and I can't keep up with her. Popsider shouted encouragement on the last stretch (he'd already been finished over 10 minutes) I overtake another clubmate and nearly but not quite catch the girl who charged past me. Stopped my watch in 51:23, hopefully the official time will be something close to this. Very very pleased, I felt much stronger - perhaps the extra miles and track sessions of the last month or so are starting to pay off. A sub 50 min 10k before the end of the year is looking more achievable.

Very glad the race was Friday evening and not yesterday as it looked very hard going. I ddin't go out for a run until about 7:30 and still struggled - well done to all those who raced yesterday.

What: try to get to track and do 3x1600

Hope the interview goes well Hilly.
  • Options
    Oh yes - tried out my new HRM yesterday (courtesy of Popsider's trip to Lidl). Not really worked out how to use it yet so couldn't use the 'intelligent training' mode. Anyway my HR ranged from 135 up to 169 - although I don't know what this means although I suspect it means I wasn't working that hard.
  • Options
    Saturday 12th July: -

What: 12 miles satrting slow building to moderate pace not exceding 80% MWHR.
    Why: Lovely morning for a run - very warma nd sunny - beats going to Tesco's
    Last Hard: 3 days ago (23 miles in 3 hours)
    Last rest: Yesterday (a Guinness day)
    Next run: Tomorrow, Rottingdean Windmill Marathon.

Sunday 13th July: -
    What: Rottingdean Windmill Marathon, 26 miles virtually all off road, very sunny, vey hot and very hilly - tough event, finished strongly and in good shape in 3:55
    Last hard: 4 days ago
    Last rest: 2 days ago
    Next run: this evening - 8 miles recovery
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone who braved the heat and raced yesterday: you are all heroes. I couldn't even drag myself out for my Sunday long run. Feeling a bit guilty (especially after reading all the race reports!) but as I hardly ever miss a session I decided one unscheduled day off wouldn't kill me.

I don't think I'd have been wise to run anyway as we had a bit of a session on Saturday night and I spent most of yesterday trying to rehydrate: still had a headache when I went to bed so not sure how successful I was.

Today: 4 miles easy.
    Why: Half-marathon schedule says so, and I have plenty of time to train as the race isn't until 28 September. I'm starting early to factor in two complete weeks without any running while I'm on holiday. (As I'm on safari or in the Namibian desert, running is not really an option unfortunately).
    Last hard: 3-mile time trial on Friday - 23:02, so time coming down. Want to see how quickly this happens once I start speedwork 'proper' so need a starting point from which to measure progress.
    Last rest: Yesterday and Saturday (guilt trip ...)
  • Options
    Good Afternoon.

What: First club run tonight
    Why: Need to improve.

Have a good rest of the day.
  • Options
    What: 10k in blistering heat at the rather silly time of 12.30pm!

Why: am a bloater!

end of story!
  • Options
    This week is a week of countdowns.

Countdown one is to two weeks vacation, having not had any time off since January I'm really feeling the need for a break.

Countdown two is back to the sports injury clinic to see what the next stage of treatment is for my running injury.

Over the last few weeks I've been running less and less and in the last two weeks I have run a total of 4k. Maybe I'm imagining things but my knee seems to be less sore and maybe what is needed is this extended rest.

However, still pounding away at the cycling.

Saturday was 40 km road biking over a hilly route and yesterday was two hours mountain biking, so if anything I'm doing more work that when in full running training.

Today: 30 minutes indoor bike and 10 minutes run on treadmill.
    Why: Staying in a hotel and this is turning into my typical Monday session.
    Last rest: Last Tuesday
    Last Hard: Saturday.
  • Options
    What: I did a 20 miler this morning!
    When: Started before the heat at 05:45. Finished at 08:41 - pleased to do inside 3 hours!
    Where: Along the River Thames to Windsor then around the park to work!
    Why: Marathon Training - Robin Hood Marathon - 14th September

Have been feeling drained most of the day but a plate of rice and oriental Beef something sorted me out at lunchtime! Have suffered from a bit of chaffing too as lycra shorts gave way after 45 minutes!

Pleased with performance... next long run, 22 miles, in 2 weeks...

BB
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    BB - you're a nutter doing that in this heat! Respect though!
  • Options
    afternoon all

belated congratulations to Drew for fighting your way thru difficult conditions to a higly respectable time yesterday.
    ditto Alison for Friday & a great time.

currently the weather station website at Bidston Observatory has a temperature reading of 27.8C, despite a steady southeasterly.

what: short blast - 3 miles max at hopefully sub 6 minute mile pace

why: seem to be no lasting effects from yesterday & have 5K(ish) race Wednesday

last hard day: Sun
    last planned hard day: Fri
    last rest day: Sat

and after Wednesday, the focus will shift towards 10Ks....
  • Options
    Frampton n severn 10K race tonight - was hoping for a PB of less than 50 mins - is this possible or should I be happy to get round in this heat
  • Options
    Hello all,

No running today - upper body work at the gym this morning and a fitness session with my Reserve Corps colleagues tonight which will involve trying to learn how to climb a rope.....GULP! This is all so that I can get onto a parachuting course in Sep - must be mad.....

Last hard - 10m in v v hot sun yesterday morning
    Last rest - Saturday
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Congratulations for your great result on Friday night Alison.

Today: am - 35 minute recovery, pm - 60 minute bike ride
    Why: scheduled recovery run and just fancied a nice leisurely bike ride this afternoon, although it was a bit hilly!
    Last rest: Saturday
    Last hard: yesterday
  • Options
    What: just a very easy 3.5 miles this am. Will do a bike ride this evening.

Last hard: Sat and Sun

BT - a recovery day of 16 miles?? Wow!

Have tried to keep the mileage down for this marathon, make the quality better. I feel fitter and faster but will I run out of steam on the big day?

No such worries for you mate.
  • Options
    What - 4 mile easy
    Why - Well at 13:00 a 13 mile run seemed a bit silly , glad I cut it down in the end
    Havnt run so badly in a long time

• Options
    hi all

what : nothing
    why : still recovering with sprained ankle

club night so will probably pop down and meet the gang for a beer. They will have earned it in this heat.

swelling not gone yet. think my aim for running later this week was a bit optimistic.
  • Options
    Evening all.

Did a 16 mile bike ride early this morning, while it was still misty up in the hills, and so cold, I needed a jacket.

Unfortunately it seemed somebody replaced my legs with lead weights overnight, and I really did struggle. Put it down to two hard runs at the weekend.

Glad I'm not running this evening though. Good luck if you are.
  • Options
    What : Gym
    Why : strength training

Was going out on bike too - but got invited to BBQ :o)