Options

How to get faster....?

I am fairly new at this and since the end of April have worked up to a distance of 3 miles done in 40-45 mins.

I now feel that I can do this (whilst talking to my friend) at a comfortable rate and feel I should perhaps be pushing my self slightly more to attain a faster time.

Could anyone give me any tips??

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    How often do you run Mel?

It might be worth extending one of your runs now by adding 10%. Build up the miles to the distance you'd like to do before doing speed work.

Although it wouldn't hurt you to do a bit of fartlek, which is running bursts of speed at varying distance or time. So on your 3 miles you could run a little faster between street lights or run fast for 1 min rest (jog) for 3. Play around to see what suits you. Above all enjoy your running!
  • Options
    It varies really.. I work shifts and so it depends. I do like to get out 3-4 times a week.

Thanx for your tip, will let you know how I get on.

Will try it this evening as I am going out tonite..

Cheers
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If you're going out 3-4 times a week is it possible to make one of those runs 5miles? That with a little bit of speed play and you should see a difference.

Don't forget on the faster bits don't go flat out so that you find it hard finishing the run.

Enjoy and good luck!