Options

Hi viz or not to hi viz

Ok, so its winter, long dark nights etc etc.

As a runner do you need to wear, should you wear Hi-viz stuff? Some people at my club seem to think it is pretty much mandatory....I am less convinced.

Generally people will run on a pavement...cross a few roads, and that is it. No different to when you are a pedestrian in my opinion. You dont wear a hi-viz tabbard then do you?

Cyclists....without lights (was given as a comparison in this discussion)...share the same space....cars and pedestrians (generally) do not.

If you get hit by a car, one of you is in the wrong place surely? If you cross a road, its your responsibiltiy is it not - Tufty club and all that.

I accept that if you have to run in the road (lanes etc) then fair enough - indeed I wear hi-viz if i know I am going to be running in the road and it is daytime! Sensible. I will wear hi viz if I am goign for a run in the hills...(if something goes wrong - easier to spot you)

Just wondering what other peeps think on this matter 

Oh and lets keep it lighthearted...it is a Friday after all.

Comments

• Options
    I have a bright pink jacket but only because it came in bright pink or black and I figured dressed head to toe in black probably wasn't the best option... need to make sure Mr CS can spot me when he looks back over his shoulder.  I don't do the whole blind you with my hi-viz thing though, as you say running on pavements it shouldn't really be a problem.  Nice to make yourself visible but no need to overdo it.
  • Options
    Agree with you - I wouldn't bother with it for running on pavements and paths. When it's actually dark you need proper reflectives or lights to be seen anyway - HiViz is really just for low light.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Actually Pops, that is a good point...any light colour 'works' just as well when it is dark - especially when mixed with street lighting....hi viz is more effective when it is murky.

• Options
    I always wear hi viz although I admit I love the loud colours anyway.
  • Options

A lot of my running is along towpaths and other paths shared with cyclists. So yes, I tend to wear a hi-viz vest when it's dark (in fact, it has a rather natty hi-viz skeleton print).

I also use a headtorch and oncoming cyclists who have hi-viz get lit up like a Christmas tree, so the stuff is certainly effective.

The more visible you are, the better, I reckon. For cyclists and motorists and everyone else. There's a reason why they're referred to as SMIDSY's.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I agree with you Nick - I don't wear hi-viz in the day time, or extra reflective stuff at night (much of my running kit seems to have a bit of reflective stuff on it somewhere) for running on pavements.

I walk home from the station in the dark after work - I don't wear hi-viz/reflective clothing to do that, so I don't feel the need to when running.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

pootles off to google SMIDSY

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    GertieGertie ✭✭✭

I think that if you're in a shared space (that includes cyclists) where there aren't street lights then you should wear something reflective.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I should add that the pavements that I walk and run on are well-lit.
  • Options
    Are the people in your club talking about wearing hi-viz when they are out in the group? Surely it'd be easier to spot people/ back of the pack etc if you know everyone is wearing bright colours rather than knowing a few aren't.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    LN - not specifically - the person who raised the subject was commenting more in general terms
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I do see groups from other local running clubs (who are also running on well-lit pavements) with flashing arm-bands.

I just don't see the need myself.

• Options
    In that case I agree with you Nick. My long sleeve tops are bright because like Caz I had a choice between black and bright and decided to go for the brighter colour but I see people on the paths here looking like Christmas lights. It's a bit OTT.
  • Options

I wear hi-viz stuff when I go out in the evening, both on my own and with my running club. My rationale is that the more visible I am the less likely I'll get hit or bump into someone.  It means that other pedestrians can see me coming and can move to one side of the pavement (if I'm lucky), or else if they haven't moved I'm more visible when I jog onto the road to go round them.  My hi-vis consists of a bright pink running top and a running bib with reflective strips so I should be visible for miles!!

Can't hurt.  Better to be safe than sorry.  

When you're walking on the pavement in your own time you've got more time to plan where to walk and less likely to take risks (Which sometimes I do when I want to keep moving, I'll do anything to keep my pace going!).

• Options
    So that's what SMIDSY means.... hmmmm. image
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Wilkie - in the groups on club nights, the group leaders and sweepers always wear hi viz if we are on the road - including summertime.....more so out of an elf n safety/identification thing.

Ultimately I guess it is up to the individual, but I was just wondering about what others thought.

Just Jules - "if im lucky" - i know what you mean - people sometimes dont move, even if they clearly have seen you, and its light!

• Options

A tired driver, having had a few drinks, talking on his phone and smoking a fag turns into a poorly lit road in a rain shower. Is he more likely to see the runner crossing the road who's wearing black or the runner wearing bright colours and reflectives? I drive on a daily basis, and I'm often appalled at the standard of driving that I see every day - the inattention, the laziness and above all the f*ck you attitude of so many drivers, and for that simple reason I'll make sure that I'm visible, even if theoretically I'm not going to come in direct contact with vehicles. Bright colours cost no more than black, and a decent flourescent bib or a flashing armband can be had for a fiver and will last for years. A runner is always going to come off second best with a car - is your life not worth more than a fiver?

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It's an interesting idea that, as a runner (rather than a normal pedestrian) that the normal pedestrians should move out of our way.

Whilst I am grateful if they do, why do I have right of way?  Just because I'm moving faster?

• Options
    Wilkie,  good point.  I've found though that pedestrians seem more unwilling to move for a runner than they do for another pedestrian.  Almost feels like they've got some kind of grudge against us.  I do say thank you or raise my hand if they make a concerted effort to move though.  When my music is on and there's lots of traffic I never know how loud to say my thank you's so a hand raise is usually better! 
  • Options
    Bright pink hi-viz things up top, black running tights on bottom. That way you see me coming and it has the added bonus of making my butt and legs look a LOT slimmer image
  • Options
    I don't wear this stuff as I rarely run on roads/streets, I prefer to venture out onto fields with a head light in the dark. But it's true that my bunch in running club always wear it. I don't even if I run with them as we always run on the pavement and when crossing the road I always mind the traffic like any other pedestrian. I don't see the need.
  • Options
    What is everyones definition of Hi Viz though ? To me - that's a combination of fluo colours and reflectives. So good for day or night.

At night theres no point just wearing fluo colours - you cant see them unless theres a good light source. So if you're out at night - you'd be better off in reflective kit.

I usually run in a hi viz tabard on dark winter nights. So its Fluo Yellow with wide reflective bands across. So if a motorist is turning into a road as I cross it - he should at least see me. Its more an insurance policy rather than anything else - I shouldn't get hit as I'm on the pavement, but if I'm careless crossing the road - then Hi Viz wont do any harm to my chances.
  • Options
    I'd recommend it for pretty much any night running - and lots of it at that!  A friend of mine was hit a couple of years back.  He was wearing a hi viz jacket, running along a pavement.  Went to cross the road and was promptly hit by a car.  Apparently when the ambulance arrived he was told he wasn't wearning nearly enough in the way of hi viz (which I'm sure was massively helpful to him at the time).  As for off road running in the dark, which I really enjoy, I tend to wear something reflective just in case I take a tumble (those dang wabbits leave they're holes all over the place!).  You're easier to find if you're in reflective gear in the middle of a very dark field.
  • Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

It's an interesting idea that, as a runner (rather than a normal pedestrian) that the normal pedestrians should move out of our way.

Whilst I am grateful if they do, why do I have right of way?  Just because I'm moving faster?

I don't expect anyone to move out of my way and am happy to do the moving - but do get annoyed when people move into my way when i've already moved to avoid them.  People texting and walking are my current annoyance - like trying to predict how a drunk will move i.e. no chance.

Don't always wear hi-vis but usually have reflective stuff on, such as a buff, bumbag etc. to reflect headlights when its dark.

• Options

I have one of those flourescent and reflective tabards. Also a head torch with both front & rear lights. I don't care if it means I look like a strange form of travelling Christmas tree, I'm going to both see and be seen. And the head torch is proving it's worth - the council has taken to turning off a lot of street lights, especially those on minor roads, so even if I'm running round town it can be pretty dark. Pavement condition not the best either.

it's useful to be visible even if you are only going to be crossing roads. I find cars will often slow if you're approaching the road, so that you can cross ahead of them, rather than having to stop until they've passed. Better they see you sooner than both have to stop suddenly.

The club has a rule that if you're out with them then you have to wear Hi-vis all year round, but that seems to have been imposed by the insurance. And if one person in the group isn't wearing it, then no one is covered. Yes, seems a bit strong, but it's an easy enough rule to comply with.

It does make it easy to see the group if it's got a bit strung out, and as a directionally challenged individual, knowing where they've gone is always useful!

• Options
    The most visible colour in very low light is white so high viz is a bit of a waste of time. But light and reflective clothing isn't because being more visible to traffic is a good thing. You're also moving faster than most pedestrians which drivers may not be expecting so it helps to be highly visible.
  • Options

I like to run ninja style. Although communting on my bike i have lots of lights, reflective and hi-viz.

On another thread i mentioned that running ninja style means i am not as noticable to the lairy group on hormone overload hanging about at the park.. but the time they notice me i am gone...... although i did get called a 'f***ing c***t' the other night for no apparent reason by a delightful bunch of our great nations future adults.

• Options

‘Ninja’ style for me too. I can see marginal benefit in hi viz/ reflective, but choose to take that risk and wear what I am comfortable in. Cross roads carefully and watch out for cars sneaking out of driveways then no other problems in my experience.

On the point of ‘why do I have the right of way’ – I don’t, but I do expect equal rights. I.e. pull your dog lead in or stay on your side of the path. The number of times this doesn’t happen are infuriating, although a sarcastic thank-you or dog hurdle usually compensates.

• Options

Definitely definitely ''yes'' to hi viz for me.

I am very careful, don't take risks, run on pavements in well lit areas, not fast enough to worry about to slowing my pace for crossing roads, am both a driver and a cyclist so think I can read roads and traffic pretty well but ( and I bet you knew there would be a 'but ' coming! ...........one tiny split second of inattention put me rolling over a car bonnet a couple of years ago.

It was entirely my fault and not sure hi viz would have changed things that night but it made me realise however careful we are it only takes a split second and another time hi viz could be a factor in the outcome. Luckily nothing worse this time than stiches in my head and a slightly re arranged right ear along with impressive bruises.

The incident did not do me much good in the on going heated discussions about cycling helmet use with teenage son at the time.....I was told I should wear one for running! ( I don't)

• Options
    Sarah: stitches in head and rearranged  right ear. That sounds nasty, hope it did not put you off running.