Options

Sub-4 Marathon goal

2»

Comments

• Options
    Changed nothing else other than mentally to aim to keep at 8.20 pace rather than to keep under 9.00s. Focused on keeping 'switched on' rather than plodding out the miles.

For info I am 45, 12 stone 5 and have a best for the half of 1.43
  • Options
    That's great Alan

So you did half each long runs at race pace or close to it?

I certainly got used to running on tired legs doubling up a hard 10 miler with a hard gym class, or a PT session then a slower 11 miler.

My 3.48 was with a tight ham string after 5 miles so backed off a bit & a tough course too..
    Sub 3.40 is on for the future especially having done a 1.36 half last week.
  • Options

Long runs were first half at 9.40, second half at 8.20 pace. Longest run totalled 20 miles. May not suit everyone but it certainly helped me and kept me focussed.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd resurrect this to say thank you for all your advice.  I finally did it - 2 more failures in May and June (4.11 and 4.03), followed by adopting HR training, put the mileage up to 70 mpw...

...3h49 in Frankfurt, negative split, last mile at HM pace. Next stop 3h29image

Thanks everyone!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

So it's you i have to thanks for the chocolate milkshake is it Tek image

I remember reading somewhere about chocolate milkshake and thinking that sounds good .... after EVERY long run now it's through the door, Ice Cold Milk, Banana, Chocolate Nesquick, blender ..... AHHHHHHHH, HEAVEN !!!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

ps ... sorry you had to go through so much pain for my benefit image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

FRC is the choccie milk man ! I still use it as the recovery drink...image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

FRC ?

I get the feeling i should know the answer ....

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

just above...Fit-Running-Cat

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

image OF COURSE

I mis-read as " FRC is still THE choccie milk, man ! " as in FRC is some sort of milk image

Thanks FRC image

Hark at me babbling on image

• Options
    I'm still here, and had the post / reminder email thing on luckily.

Great news Teknik! Happy for you. And mace for milkshake addiction. still have them myself.

Since your post last year, I went sub 3:30 in one go, 3:29 at Edinburgh so first marathon, 3:48, second 21 mins off. First ultra this year too, and PBs at every other distance.

I still do my 30-35 miles, although I did stop playing football, and horse riding. Something had to give.

Last weekends race was a sub 1:30 half, 6 mins off. Next stop sub 3:15 VLM hopefully.

Teknik, Have you got a race booked, or just planning for next year?
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Hi FRC that's really great progress! I'm looking at 3.3x for the Spring (Hamburg, probably) and en route a 1.37 half (local)... I think the high mileage HR training works for me - plus yoga once a week.

Thanks again for your advice...image
  • Options
    Anytime! We are all different, some need high miles, some do less.

I do cross train as well, Speed/ Strength training has helped my legs build up.

Also knocked 4.5 mins off 10k time too in a year, 10 mins off half in 18 months.

Where are you on the half target PB now, and 10k?

My Missus does hot yoga, keeps trying to get me going. Hmmm.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Yup I'd recommend hot yoga too - the "hot" bit makes it feel like a work-out!  Made a big difference to my balance/ stability...

I didn't do much shorter racing, but I did PB at 5k, did my first 10k only a few secs per mile slower than the 5k, breaking 44m, and that HM target is 6 mins off my PB from 3 years ago...

• Options
    Had you thought of going for the RW Forum 6 competition?

Circuits and S&C work core too.

Lots of shorter racing for me 4-6 miles has moved things along a few notches so longer half & marathon paces are well inside range now. Worth remembering in the future.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

FRC yeah, I think I'll put some 10k races in this time around - I'm still basing the schedule "broadly" around P&D, and they have a few shorter races the day before the LSR to get you used to the "running on tired legs" thing.

I had toyed with the ideas of doing "Insanity" circuits...but then again I need to find the time / enthusiasm...

Forum 6? Couldn't take the pressure...image 

• Options

hey circuits work, 30-40 second intervals, lots of them.., improve your VO2max. cant go faster unless you build your legs up.

I usually do one on a Saturday then club intervals about 45 minutes later. If you can do intervals on tired legs then ...image. Hadn't noticed the P&D race before an LSR, interesting.

Bet you could do Forum 6.