Options

Plymouth Half Marathon 2012

So who's signed up to Plymouth Half Marathon then?  And how am I going to keep training over the Christmas period when mince pies and cider are calling?!

Comments

• Options

I’ve not yet signed up, might do it as a last resort race, if I can’t find another one I like.

You should enjoy as much mince piesimage and bottle cider as you can. There is more than enough time to train for the Plymouth Half after Christmas.

• Options

Thanks for the advice.  Going to try to keep training going over Christmas so it's not such a hard slog in Jan!

Anyone got any advice on how I can keep motivated on my longer runs?  Getting a bit of ground hog day syndrome lately! 

• Options

I'm thinking of doing this one next year, getting a bit fed up of the same old flat routes (bristol, bath) so fancy some new scenery and a bit of a challenge! Anyone know what the course is like? Also how is Plymouth as a place to visit?

p.s Mince pies at xmas make you run faster in the new year, it's proven!

• Options

hey matt

the hoe is really nice, (where the race finishes) and has views out to the sea.  Fingers crossed for a nice dry day in June!  The Barbican is also a really nice place to visit and has nice little cobbled streets and cafes and restaurants.  The little harbours dotted around Plymouth are lovely too.

• Options
    Sounds good, will be nice to have a look at some new scenery.
  • Options

@Kirstles, you could try other events, such as Mount Edgecumbe 10 miler 29th Jan or the Plymouth Hoe 10 miler 19th Feb. Don’t do them at race pace, just use them as a training day. Or just change your routes, mix it up a bit. Run from Mount Battern to Wembury, that’s about 10 miles return trip, hilly as well.

@matt, Plymouth’s Half is not for Pb breaking, it is quite a hilly course. There is not much to see at first but the views do get better especially towards the end. There is a steep hill half way through which does catch people out. Here is a link http://www.plymouthhalfmarathon.com/index.aspx. Course map is unavailable, so don’t know if they are changing it again.     

• Options

@Kamikaze_runner, thanks for the info, sounds like an interesting course, I think gradient adds character! I think it might be nice to try a new race as the new scenery may well take my mind of the pain!