Options

GREAT NORTH RUN HELP!!!!!

Hi, I have completed 3 half marathons in the last 18 months, by using my own training schedule which worked OKAY. I have a place in this years Great North Run but I have not put the training in so far and am now really worried. Has anybody out there got any schedule or advice on how I can complete the GNR without too much pain or injury! I am getting desperate!
Michelle

Comments

• Options
    When you find one, Michelle, will you share?

You sound as if you're in the same position as me (right down to your recent half-marathoning history). What time are you hoping for?
  • Options
    Michelle / Vrap

I didnt get an an entry for the GNR but am doing the Carlisle 12/10...I am using the 12 week r/w plan to focus on the event...do you fancy swopping notes and keeping each other motivated?
  • Options
    Delighted to, Fergalk.

I, er, managed two sub-12-minute miles on the tready yesterday. And I want 2 hours watch time at GNR.
  • Options
    I think I've only done about 4 runs since running the FLM ! I'd best get my *ss in gear and do some more.

Michelle - I'm sure you are ahead of me !

I'd just start off easy - and increase your distances gradually. And also X-train if you can to work your heart and lungs, but without the strain on your legs.
  • Options
    VRap
    what schedule are you following. How many miles did you do in total on Tuesday.Two hour watch time seems a good figure to aim for....my trainer (Dom) says that the first 2 miles are a pain with all the crowds but at least it gives you a chance to get warmed up and into a steady pace when the route clears (this was his plan for me till it all went wrong with the entry). I gather that you have done a lot of marathons and halfs so are vastly experienced..this will be my first.Have you any advice for me? Have you done GNR before? I am looking forward to swopping notes and highs and moans etc.

Michelle ...are you going to join in?
    I live in Newcastle so circumstances allowing I can come and cheer you both on

I did an 8 mile with hills ( with the club on Tuesday) and now feel like Im coming down with a cold.

Going to see how I feel tonite otherwise rest today and 4 miles tomorrow(assuming cold doese not develop) and weights with trainer.

The next few weeks will be a trial of hope over effort as I start a new demanding job on Monday in a totally different cultural environment. Scary!!

run well and prosper.
  • Options
    I did 2 miles in total on Tuesday, Fergalk (in context, I'm recovering from a fairly long walk in the South Downs on Saturday) and have done virtually no running since the Keswick Half on 4th May, so I am totally detrained.

We're talking sub-2hr half-marathon in 6 weeks from a standing start. My current PB (2:00:47) was set at Reading after 9 weeks training following an injury-and-burnout-related break, but the GNR course is less undulating.

Having over a week on holiday won't help, though I'll try to stomp up and down a mountain or two for cross-training.
  • Options
    HI All,
    Glad someone is in the same boat as me. I am hoping for a time of 2 hrs in the GNR last year did 2hrs 20mins. My avarage time is 10min/miles when I can be bothered! I should have ran last night but my running partner cryed off and I am too lazy to run on my own. The main reason for me not wanting to train is because it is too hard as I am unfit. I need to get my ass in gear a get out there, however I am planning a 7 mile run on Saturady. Hoping to rope in someone from the running club to come with me even if it's just on there bike. I am planning to go to the running club tonight which I think shoudl help with my lack of motivation and fitness! Any help with motivation would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Spoo-kee! I did 2:20 (my watch time, not the race clock time) at GNR last year too.

There may be a little 2-hr pacing group forming (Slowboy and Glenn have both offered their services, and they're good at motivating too). Sounds like you're better placed than I am for a good time this year, Michelle.
  • Options
    Velociraptor,

Very spooky as mine was by my watch as well.

Would be very interested in a pacing group as last year we were in the middle of the mass group and even if we could have run faster we couldn't because of the crowds.
    Michelle
  • Options
    I had the same problem, Michelle. I think (whisper it) we'll have to sharpen our elbows and start as far forward as we can if we're up for sub-2hrs. Every bloody ambler ended up in front of us last year - my sister and I probably ran as far sideways as we did forward.
  • Options
    Same boat - I am following the last minute schedule in this months runners world to the letter at the moment - which is difficult given the weather. For the next few days I am going to do this weeks 45mins run on a treadmill at the gym. OK it is not ideal but it is better than nothing and I am not risking heat stroke to train.
  • Options
    I haven't had time to read this months mag yet, too busy training! I have managed to go to the club on Thursday a longish run (5.5m) on Saturday and a 4 miler Monday and a gym session last night. Out for a 3-4 mile tonight. I seem to have found my motivation again it's great! The key thing is consistency once you have a couple of sessions behind you, you feel as if you have achived something and the sky is the limit.........well 13.1 miles is the limit but you know what I mean. How is everyone else getting on? P.S It's heat exhaustion not heat stroke, heat stroke is a normal stroke but caused by heat... never one to exaggerate.
  • Options
    Hi all.

No Broadband at the weekend and new job on Monday ...havnt been skiving ..honest.

8 Miles On Sunday, 3.5 fartlek Monday, 4 miles am on wednesday, 4 miles am today rest tomorrow and long one planned for Sunday.