Options

Snack ideas for gaining weight

I am currently trying to gain weight and have done well in boosting my intake but am getting a bit bored of my choices of my morning and afternoon snacks; I have been having oatcakes/crispbreads/rice cakes with nut butter or cottage cheese plus fruit. Would appreciate some new ideas as am losing the inclination for these snacks which will obviously not help my weight gain. However, I am not keen on sweet things so savoury ideas are preferred!

Comments

• Options
    PIES......!!!! Lucky you! image
  • Options
    How about Sausage, Bacon and Potato Scone roll or Sausage Rolls with full strength Coca Cola to wash down! How i envy you!!Nuts?
  • Options
    This is part of the problem - I lost weight unintentionally (from being already pretty slim) and then started to try and gain but comments like 'lucky you' made me think that maybe I shouldn't be so started having disordered attitudes to food. I am now working through this but it is very difficult in a world obsessed by dieting and losing weight!
  • Options
    get yourself along to holland and barrett - they do a range of protein supplements that would help you put weight on properly without just padding out with fatty stuff...  good luck/have fun.
  • Options
    Nuts are very energy dense.
  • Options
    Hi my comments about envying you relate to the fact that as someone coming back into running I know that excess weight is a factor in joint impact and, as importantly, times. I once ran with a 5lb weight and in the last 4 miles of a 10 mile run I became acutely aware of the additional (but relatively small) weight.
    Can I ask therefore if your desire to put on weight is related to your running ambitions or instead to achieve a more average bodyshape?

My son eats like a horse and does weightlifting, the latter of which has had some impact on his weight so maybe look to the gym as a route to your aim.

PS With a pseudonym of Aimingforfaster the replies to date I would suggest have been pretty lighthearted!
    Best of luck with your ambitions and keep well
  • Options

A tub of cheese cubes and cucumber, carrot sticks is good in the afternoon. Also, hummus or avocado dips to make the crisp things more appetising and carry more calories.

• Options

Hi John - apologies if my reply sounded rude as I did not intend that. I understand that weight can certainly impede running but I am aiming to gain some weight/muscle to make me stronger; last year when I gained some I took 5 mins off my 10k time in as many weeks; but also to bring me into the healthy weight range (even the very bottom).

I have incorporated strength training into my training and think this is helping. Just need to keep up my energy intake which seems to require a bit of focus.

Gyraffe - thanks for the ideas!

• Options

I am sympathetic of your issue. Im very slim myself as is my entire family. Nobody in my family has made 10 Stone and im now the heaviest weighing in a 9st6 at 5ft7.

I found that running regulary made me gain weight more than anything else before it,  Unfortunately I am still unable to say I have found the magic answer with regards to gaining weight, but good luck.

• Options

Yes it seems some people are more prone to being slender - I used to be around 8st10lb at 5ft8 which was fine but over last few years dropped to a low of 7st5lb and now around 7st10lb so it really is too low for my good health and outwith just being slim.

Running is certainly one of my key reasons for wanting to gain weight as I have noticed the most successful female runners in my club definitely have a more bulk to them and it certainly doesn't slow them down!

• Options
    Perhaps you need to see an NHS dietitian because sometimes thin people think they're eating loads when infact they're not. I have known people to look at others' eating habits and completely forget that most people scoff in the evening when the whole world isn't looking. Or, another example is the strrict adherence to 'portion sizes' on food products, i bought a small cake once and it said 'serves 23' or something like that (prime number for added humour) which i know to be silly but some people may not.

Rice cakes are not a snack food that will make you put on weight!

If you are a savoury type i can recommend the vast array of nuts out there, not only are they energy dense but they pack a nutrition punch too, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews (i like marmite cashews) you can get spicy ones, salty ones, crunchy ones, mmmmm.

Also might be worth going to the doctor to rule out thyroid issues ( you don't want an overactive thyroid because it tends to swing back the other way after cell death and then you get mega fat), parasites, even TB (yes ths is making a big comeback in the UK).
  • Options

I consulted a sports dietitian last year who helped me gain around 4lb after pointing out that my carb intake was quite low so that is where the carby morning and afternoon snack requirement came from. I agree rice cakes are not high calorie but were just to have a change from oatcakes or crispbread. I do love nuts and add them to my breakfast every day and often incorporate in my other meals too and of course nut butter.

Thyroid was checked recently and is fine so I think my issue is making sure my energy intake matches my expenditure (running 25-30 miles a week, cycling around 50-60 miles a week, couple of swims and few strength sessions).

Maybe I need to try making some savoury/not too sweet muffins!

• Options
    Have you worked out your input/output ratio. You seem to be doing lots of exercise and it seems at face value it's a calorie balancing issue. If I were doing as much as you I'd need three square meals a day let alone snacks, just to maintain. might be worth revieing and either sticking in an extra course or two or even an extra meal!
  • Options
    Added up your exercise levels are a bit higher than the average, at least 10 hours by the looks of it, surely you are hungry?

You're a very interesting/baffling case.

Funnily enough if anything triggers the appetite it's sugary/carby foods and since your dietician noted your lower carb diet it's interesting that you also cite a preference for savoury things.

How about just letting go? Experiment! Try different foods to wake your appetite and palette!

Ayurvedic medicine would place you firmly in the Vata category, google it, I'm a scientist myself so don't place too much emphasis on the hocus pocus side, but there is some sense in seeing the person as a whole (not just the foods we eat but the way we think and the things we do). I'm a pitta myself, leaning towards kapha since having children.
  • Options
    are you having recovery drinks or anything like that? how about increasing portion sizes adding oil to cooking? I am in a similar position myself, howver mine stems from a long standing eating disorder.
  • Options

After a run I always have a banana blitzed with milk and extra dark cocoa powder as that is when I can handle the most sweetness. I also eat a lot of yoghurt and have a hot milk before bed especially as recently diagnosed with osteopenia in spine.

Htc24 - I'll have a look at the Ayurvedic categories as although I am also a scientist some of the more ancient medicine traditions seem quite sensible!

• Options
    when you have crispbread/ rice cakes etc for your snacks.they all make me think of diet food.......
    why not have proper snacks like cheese sandwiches.egg rolls and crisps