Options

Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

The marshals actively police the start - us riff-raff who run more slowly got directed to the back down aother route away drom the start. Last year that was bit of a debacle with most people arriving at the back late due to needing to put a few thousand runners up a narrow flight of stairs down which spectators were trying to walk (remember that?). Not sure what this year's plan will be (apologies - probably in the pack somewhere) but it's surely got to be something different to that as it was a mess.

Great event though and the residents certainly do their bit.

Have been laid up with endless injuries but looking forward to it and still keen to hear that awesome steel band under the flyover !  (and may sample the beer on Russell St this time)

• Options
    Still looking for another running number. If you've got one that you can't use please send me a message via the site.
  • Options
    Martin, can't send you a pm, but I have a spare entry in the orange section
  • Options
    My place has sold, sorry all

Phil Bishop 8 wrote (see)

I'm now out of the country and will not be able to use my place or the hotel room I have booked at Penta Hotel.  Looking to offload both as neither is refundable. 

www.pentahotels.com/hotels/llrph-reading/hotelinformation

Room was £55, worth every penny to save a ridiculously early start (race starts at 10:00)

Please message me thropugh this site if you're interested in either 

• Options
    I have a spare number for this one if anybody is interested?
  • Options
    Has anyone received car park passes yet?
  • Options

No car park pass yet, Johnny.

I've run this several times - its my pb course. A very enjoyable race, but expensive ( not a rip off like the RW trail races, though).

• Options
    Yeah but at the RW trail race you get to park your car for free.
  • Options
    Apart from Reading, the most I've paid to park at a race is £2.40. Where does parking worth £8 come in in the Forest of Dean? Do parking prices miraculously triple on race day? It seems to me that they are charging London prices for a straightforward off road race. There are plenty to be had for between 6 and 10 pounds around here.
  • Options
    I don't mind paying for the parking at Reading. It's such a big race, really well organised and staffed and must cost an absolute fortune. I do wish they'd send the passes out a bit quicker though - mine didn't turn up at all last year.
  • Options
    I agree with you on both accounts.
  • Options

Really looking forward to this, it's my first half marathon!

Training hasn't gone terribly well, had issues for the last 6 months with my illobiotal band but hoping my stretches and foam roller have reduced it down.

Hope you all have a wonderful race and look out for 5722 image 

• Options

Anyone got their car parking pass yet?

I've had my race pack and my running number is 9XXX, with the number on a blue background.

Does this double up as my car park pass? I think I booked into the blue car park.

I've looked on the site to look for car park instructions but all it has is a link to buying a car park ticket.

I've also tried searching my emails to see if instructions came in a cofirmation email I suspect I had when I bought the parking ticket, but for the life of me I can't find any kind of confirmation mail.

Am now worried I didn't click the right boxes and I don't have a car park ticket at all...

Is there anyone out there with better organisational skills than me - almost certainly - who has their confirmation mail? If so could you let me know the sender name as this might help me find the mail I'm looking for.

Thanks

• Options

Just had this back from the nice people at Sweatshop:

"All car parking passes are sent separately from your race packs and be with you one week before the event"

Just need to esnure I've actually bought one... £6 came out of my account, so I guess I must have!

• Options
    I got my car park pass today.

Last year mine didn't arrive and I thought that I must have forgotten to buy one just like you Tom so I bought what turned out to be a second one!
  • Options
    Tis all good - those nice people at sweatshop checked their database and emailes me back to confirm that I have indeed got a paid for ticket - so if it doesn't arrive I'll print out the email image
  • Options

Just got our car park tickets today image

Still no sign of our race packs though image

Also emailed the organisers but no response in 2 days now... not the happiest bunny.

Anyone else missing their race packs ansd getting no joy?

• Options
    Race organisers replied to me within ~10mins across email and that was just before 6pm. The website does also have a phone number...
  • Options
    Just received an email from a 'Tom' suggesting some packs are still on way.
    Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Unexpectedly going to be in Reading next weekend and would love to run the half - does anyone have a spare M40 place - if so please get in touch 07887994861  thanks Richard
  • Options
    Hi all

Due to injury my entry in this event is now unfortunately available, anybody interested in running on 1st April please let me know.
    I have my race pack & I really need it to go to a good home as seeing it staring at me day after day is breaking my heart & tempting me to run on a broken hamstring image

Drop me a message through here

Leigh
  • Options
    Leigh - I'm out for a long training run tomorrow (I'm currently training for the Highland Fling at the end of April), if I feel ok (have had a wee knee niggle) then I would be interested in your number to run next Sunday.  As I said in my previous post I unexpectedly will be down in Reading next Weekend and would like to run.  I'll be in contact again tomorrow late aft/early eve.  thanks Richard
  • Options
    Hi Richard

That's fine hope your run goes well I'm desperate to get going again!

Just drop me a message as soon as you know

Leigh
  • Options

Well I'm back from my 34 miler today in the sunshine and the legs held out (a little tired now!)  I would be keen to get your Reading place - how much do you want for it? (or would you like me to make a donation to a charity of your choice?) - do you know what pen/time you estimated?  My mobile number is 07887994861, I do hope we can arrange something - where are you based?

Cheers

Richard

• Options
    Well am sitting here with an ice pack on my shin! After my fall two weeks ago all was fine but for the last couple of days my knee and shin have become really painful - like a severe bruise. So am attempting to be sensible and do no more running now. Hope I've done enough to get me round as I really want to finish this without an injury! Perhaps someone is trying to tell me something. I get no sympathy from work colleagues who say I should not be doing this at all! Don't care - will complete it and hopefully be pain free if I can continue to be sensible this week. Good luck to one and all. Pity Deep Heat doesn't come with a Chanel No 5 aroma!!!!
  • Options

Well, thats it. Last training run done (18km). All set for my first ever half marathon!

Anything under 2 hours and I will be over the moon!!

Good luck and see you all there!

• Options

Still struggling - right ankle achilles tendon seems to have a bit of a grating spasm every couple of  hundred yards after the first five miles. Hard to describe - like someone's touched it with a slight electrical charge and makes me feel like I'm going to stumble. Sends a slight  pain down the right (out)side of my foot - like a quick burst of slightly painfu pins and needles. It's a shame the body doesn't come with removable caps where you can top up the oil as it feels like that's what it needs. The bump on the back of the tendon that was there at Christmas has virtually gone. A big long rest after this one and I may even be reduced to going to a doctor. Dear, oh dear. Not good but looked forward to it for too long to call it a day now.

Hey - after all.....what's the worst that can happen.......?

• Options
    I've got that nervy excitement thing going on already.

Last two I've hobbled round, hoping to complete this one misery-free and if all goes to plan near to PB.
  • Options
    I'm excited but I know come Sunday I'll be a nervous irritable wreck!

My 'half marathon debut' so nothing to lose and everything to gain image

Good luck to everyone running it x
  • Options
    Am thinking of getting the train and then the shuttle to the race on Sunday. The information says you need to be on the bus at 8.40 to be guaranteed to make the start, anyone know how busy the shuttles are? My train is due to arrive in Reading at 8.35 so cutting it a bit fine. Any insight appreciated.