Options

London Marathon Place on Ebay

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stevie G                                                                   . wrote (see)

Very contradictory. "Market forces" means that something is worth what someone will pay for it.

Therefore, £250 for a place is surely fine, as that's "market forces" working.

I'm certain that some people take a charity place to get into the race, and just pay the fee themselves as they're so gagging to take part. For some £250 would seem a bargain!

I don't think it's not contradictory at all.  Market forces is about supply and demand, which means that if a valid product (the original London Marathon entry) is priced at £30-odd, demand will far outstrip supply, so whether you manage to secure a place is a matter of luck.

The "£250" price is irrelevant because it's the price set for a hypothetcial product which isn't even valid, i.e. a supposedly transferable London Marathon entry.

• Options

I take your point Stevie.  What I was referring to by market forces is that anyone, regardless of ability, experience etc can enter the ballot and that it shouldn't be an event exclusively for "serious" runners.  I think Phil got what I meant.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    I don't think it's not contradictory at all. 
    Tricky line to take in on a monday morning!!
  • Options
    Stevie G                                                                   . wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    I don't think it's not contradictory at all. 
    Tricky line to take in on a monday morning!!

I really should've stayed in bed!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image  How's the comeback shaping up Pub P?

Any races on the agenda?

• Options

Very well thanks Stevie G.  16 mile runs are feeling easy again, back up to 50mpw, and I did my first bit of faster running last week. Progressive effort finishing off with 3 and a bit at marathon effort or thereabouts, which ended up being 6:07/m.  Nice.  No specific races booked in, but I'm planning a return to the track next week and half expecting to be roped in for the club's team in the 12-stage national road relays in April.  Nothing like a low-profile race to sneak back into things.  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like your comeback level is higher than my top level!
  • Options
    If I actually tried to run a marathon at that pace at the moment I'd probably be a jibbering wreck before halfway, but yeah the pace appears to be coming back nicely!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The listing has been taken down so I presume they've acted pretty fast.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    I tried to sell a 4 leaf clover on Ebay, no-one bought it.
    there are some stupid people out there, but perhaps not that stupid!
  • Options

Didn't someone recently sell a piece of glue that looked a bit like Homer Simpson for lots of money? 

..yeah, here it is.

I've been burning pieces of toast in an attempt to fashion a likeness to our Lord Jesus Christ so that some crazy yank can make me rich.  Just can't get the bastard beard right!

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    I tried to sell a 4 leaf clover on Ebay, no-one bought it.
    Have you still got it ?
  • Options
    I saw Dale Winton's face in a Weetabix once.
  • Options

Some people do not learn!

After being taken down the sellers have relisted it under "london marathon" instead of "london marathon entry"! Same format and same starting price of £250.

Spoke to VLM office who told me that the previous listing was traced and the number has been disqualified so the seller presumably has another entry -again it will be disqualified thus wasting two race entries which could have been used by a genuine entrant. Makes me mad.

• Options

Perhaps the person doesn't realise the place has been disqualified and will be in for a shock when she tries to register at the Expo - as will any person who actually bids.

Gets me mad too.  Once can be a mistake, twice is taking the p*ss.

• Options
    Just looked at this again.  There is one difference - the seller no longer offers to attend Expo to get the number with the required ID.  Sounds like a set-up and I hope nobody bids.
  • Options
    if someone is stupid enough to bid then they are are bad as the sellers almost....
  • Options
    If you arent a runner - you might not know any better. I'm sure there are lots of people whose first and last race is the London marathon.
  • Options
    Looks like the second listing has also been removed now...
  • Options

I defered my place in 2011.Now do to work commitments I won't make 2012 either.I have run London twice before.Having trained very hard I was pleased with my times.But I'm not prepared to enter the race with out training properly.It never even occured to me to sell my place.

THIS PERSON SELLING ON EBAY SHOULD BE DEALT WITH SEVERELY