Options

Lakeland Trails Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi Everyone - I am a returning entrant having puked (stomach upset), stumbled and sworn my way round last year. I can't offer any better a perspective than has already been provided its is as tough and beautiful as described. What will I do differently?

1) Different shoes ran in Inov8's last year and ended up very foot sore from the lack of rock plate.

2) Different outlook, run it for pleasure and by feel not with a pace in mind.

3) Remember that the first 14 miles are an undulating drag uphill i.e. pace myself and dig in but also know when to expect the relief of the first proper downhill.

4) Take a hint, projectile vomitting at mile 1 was a strong suggestion that it wasn't going to be my day!!

For fellow 'geeks' below is a link to my Garmin data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96622872

For those who need some sort of time expectation when they set out depending on weather, experience off road, ability to run grinding ascents and make the most of steep sometimes technical descents I would suggest add between 40 and 75 mins to your road marathon time.

Look forward to seeing you all next week.

• Options

Lee, are you in the race or the challenge?.

My prep has gone terribly and I fear for my knees but I need to get the miles and experience under my belt for an Ultra in nine weeks time.

• Options

Great link to the Garmin info Alistair. Looks like you were suffering after mile two. Good luck this year.

• Options
    I'm in the challenge Gaz...I was in the race to begin with but changed when I was ill to make sure I clear the cut offs. Really not looking forward to the 7am start!
  • Options

I wish I'd have swapped but I'm not sure I could run that early.

I was worried about the cut offs but I think i'll be ok if I pace it right.

I'm nowhere near 100% so I'm going to need a lot of luck on the day. Could do without the wind but would be happier with rain than sunshine I think.

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    Anyone any idea how muddy it's going to be?
  • Options

SDRR Gaz - yup was sick as a dog from the beginning. Looking forward to this year although will be taking it steady as have a bigger event at the end of the month.

You should be fine with the cut-offs, you can see from the data I barely got above a shuffle from mile 2 and stayed in front of the sweeper.

Not sure what like the course will be with the rain we have had; if memory serves most of the trails should stand up to the rain there were though a couple of boggy sections last year when it was scorchio. Hoping to get there in time on Sat to inspect the parts if the course you can get at.

• Options

Are you in the race Alistair?

• Options

Yes in the race SDRR Gaz. See you at the start? Not sure on the race outfit but will definitely have New Balance MT110's on black, blue and yellow and will be using a Salomon XT Wings 5 Pack black, grey and blue holds two bottles in pouches on the hips. Running with a Pal, Phil. No real plan for time other than should be  inside 5 hours this year.

Weather forecast remains shocking torrential rain all week up to and including Sunday. Glad we settled on the YHA over the campsite.

You have entered UtraRace Peak this year if memory serves Gaz, Coniston is great training for that. In some ways Coniston is almost as tough.

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    Just to wish everyone good luck for Sunday, weather forecast looks better, 14 degrees with broken clouds/sunshine.

I don't think my feet will cope with my hardcore mud pluggers for 26 miles so hoping for no more rain as my trail shoes can't cope with deep mud.

I'll be in my Overon Harriers vest, hope to meet some forumites.

Piers
  • Options

Will look out for you Alistiar. I'll be using my bright orange Camelbak pack and a yellow South Derbyshire vest.

If I'm honest I'm hoping for rain. I can't bear the heat.

I will have to see about the Ultra Peaks. I'm not in great shape and there isn't long to get back into better form before the event. Who knows.

• Options

Will have a bottle in my hand and a Salomon cap on too.

• Options

Great I will look out for you. If you finish Coniston in the cut-off's, which you will, you can finish Ultra Peaks. If you  are Derbys based we can meet up and do a bit of a Ultra Peaks route recce if you fancy it sometime.

• Options

That would be great - If I'm up to it after Sunday. I'm normally good with injuries but am picking them up left, right and centre. I'm in Swadlincote but thats not a million miles away.

• Options

Gaz - catch you Sunday then. Sunny Swad hey, know it well.

• Options
    I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did. This course is brutal and bewitching in almost equal measure. I ran conservatively with one eye on the Ultra I am running at the end of the month. Too conservatively as it happens too cautious on the uphill but broadly runnable first 14 miles, the plan being to have a bit in the tank for the second half, the weather though had made this section more treacherous than I remembered from last year. Maintaining any sort of pace was tough. Overall satisfied with 4:44 exactly plus 60 mins on my road PB, just a tad wistful as finished with a bit left in the tank and regret the first half pacing a touch.
  • Options
    Congrats Alistair...I'd have been happy with anything sub 6.

I ended up with a pretty awful sickness bug on Friday that I think my boss had kindly brought to work earlier in the week so DNS for me. Properly gutted not to be there although next year falls on my birthday so perhaps it was fate?
  • Options
    A nice wet day totally different than 2011 run, well done to everyone who finished. Personally had a stomach upset first half causing me to run to nearest trees 4 times so a little didapointed with my 3:34:49 as I wanted to push for top 5 and get my free place next year. A little gripe I think the route came up short again and didn't like the chip mats being 10 meters after the finish line,nevertheless a good day out.
  • Options
    Awesome run Phil, do you know what the winners time was?
  • Options

Not sure yet but think it was 2:53 mark and way way in front of anyone else, i got told i was 10th but thats not reliable as the wife told me LOL

• Options
    Wow, some field of runners that an incredible run brings you in10th. Not sure how anyone could run this course in 2:53? One part racing snake and one part mountain goat.
  • Options
    Lee - what a bummer mate, you missed an awesome run. The event did struggle to capture the previous years party atmosphere at the finish with the torrential rain though. Once again supremely well organised with terrific support.

Had the best burger van in the world, or so it seemed! 6 ounce beef and black pepper deluxe, don't mind if I do.

Hardest marathon course that I know, although is soon to be usurped by the Glencoe marathon, hmmmmmm ...
  • Options

Came in at 5:15 ish. Not seen my official time yet.

I was quite pleased with that as I've never ran on terrain as extreme as that before. I also finished with a lot left in the tank but without knowing the course I held back a lot just in case there was another beast around the corner. My training hadn't gone well either so I wasn't sure what I had in me so very chuffed to complete my second mara of the year.

I loved the course though and think I'll be back next year to do better.

• Options
    Gaz - Great result buddy, well done! You will have no problem at Ultra Race Peaks.
  • Options

Thanks mate. Hopefully after a short rest I can get my training back on track.

Well done to you too for an awesome run.

It has to be one of the best marathon courses out there. I even enjoyed the rain.

I think i'll be getting a little bit more off-road practice in before next year to stregthen my ankles and knees.

What was the section called where there were 4 x 4s going up? The hard rocky downhill.

• Options
    Not sure what the official name is although heard plenty of runners give it their own. A chap came down hard behind me on that claret everywhere.

I like the slideshow of the route on the organisers site with the mummsy housewife in her road shoes taking a little trot out on nice flat trails - trade descriptions please!
  • Options

Quite cleary she had been air dropped!

• Options

amazing event again, even thou we had all the elements under the sun against us. looking forward to next years already. Anyone found the results yet?

• Options

Utterly brutal marathon, twisted ankle at 7.5 miles, went on to properly sprain it at 22 miles as any of the 5 runners directly behind me on the trail will tell you as I shattered their ears with my screams....Ran with Alistair and like him had plenty left in the tank, tbh I was more mentally than physically exhausted having to constantly pick my footing and trying not to break my neck on every slippery rock descent. Great prep for Hardmoors 60 ultra in September, just hoping the sprain repairs quickly as need to get plenty of miles in my legs before then....Great race, brilliant organisation, deffo short of 26.2 on Garmin....Shows how tough it is, ran Kielder in 4hrs at over 14st, set off at over a stone lighter for this one but finished in 4hrs 48mins and was really pleased with that image

• Options

PS the ascents measured 5500ft and the descents 5400ft, no wonder it was hard graft