Options

half marathon time

Hi

I have just finished my first half marathon in 1:51 is this a decent time? I am 43

Thanks for answers

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You don't say whether you are male or female - but I'd guess male.  Men!  If they're not worrying about size, they're worrying about times image

Any finish time for a first half is a decent time!  You got out there and did it. image

• Options
    Lol yes male, although with size 9 shoes I don't worry about size image thanks for the reply
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with 1:51 mate!

Well done!
  • Options

According to the people who make performance comparisons so one old git can check against another slightly less old git (WAVA age grade ranking tables), you scored 56.3%.

Which would indicate you are a fairly new runner and not a highly trained competitive athlete.

I'm not being 'superior', I'm just trying to give you something a bit more objective than 'not bad', which wityout context, is a bit meaningless really. You'd probably beat 3/4 of the blokes in the pub, but you wouldn't likely beat any club runners around the same age.  Buit it sounds like you are competitive, so why not try and beat yourself. Come back in a year and see how minutes you can knock off that time.

If you were dedicated, I reckon you could take 15mins off. image

• Options
    Firstly, are you pleased?

As it's your first, it is your best (and also your worst)

Do you think you can do better?

As a performance against the man on the street, it is good, against a seasoned club runner, not as good.
  • Options
    Where did you come in the field?

Where do you think you ought to come? Top half? Top 25%?

What is decent is very subjective.

I think Tricky Dicky underestimates things a bit - I very much doubt 25% of the blokes in the pub could run a half in under 1:51.

• Options
    Lol thanks for the replies, yes i am pleased- just to finish tbh. I did pass and beat some club runners younger than me to. but yes i would like to improve my time. knocking 15 mins off would be awesome!
  • Options
    If you are serious about getting faster I suggest you join a club that does some speed work.
    My half time went from 1.33 in September to 1.24 this February after joining my local club. Similar age to you.
  • Options
    I think Tricky Dicky's assessment is perfectly fair to be honest.  Congrats on finishing and you deserve to feel pleased, but if you're bothered to ask about times you should be setting yourself the target of taking a chunk off. image
  • Options
    Good response Chris. One of the awesome things about running is how much improvement is possible, especially at the beginning. I only started running 5 years ago and was clueless about the sport, had a lifelong belief that I just had the wrong sort of body to run, always got knee pain etc. And I'm a year older than you image

This weekend, I am running a major city marathon and stand an even chance of a top 150 place (theories are great aren't they, just got to bl**dy do it now!!). My point is, if you want it enough and are prepared to learn what you are doing and don't suffer from too many distractions, you can take huge steps forward.

Beating blokes in a pub in a race is not much of a sign of accomplishment. But taking 15 mins off your time, by hauling back club runners, well that's pretty darn satisfying stuff. And that's all possible within one year. What if you were to set yourself some mid term goals... What could I achieve in 3 years from now? Many people who do this feel like they've turned their lives upside down and feel transformed by it. I just want to encourage you to imagine what you'd like to be known as in future and maybe you stand a chance of making it possible?
  • Options

As a beginner i think it is always good when doing a half marathon, when you complete it, sit around for a while at the finishing line, and see the others you came ahead of. You might be surprised. When i did Brighton half, i saw people who i swore were going to beat me big time but they didnt.

My PB for a half is 1.34.07. I am 39. Eventually i will max out, but for now i am making slow improvement. Well considering my first half 16 months ago when i did it in 1.43.27, but that was hilly in places.

• Options
    That's really good advice Ghostrider (though as well as watching give them a cheer too!).

I really liked in the Bristol Half where it turns round at about half-way and you come back on the other side of the road. Apart from the bonus of being able to see some really good runners, it does mean you realise there are plenty of people behind you, whereas normally you only see people stretching out ahead.
  • Options

Thanks Tricky, good advice there. I started doing sprint triathlon last year (5k) is the run distace, Took me a while to get up to that as I'd never run before. I am doing an iron distance for charity this year so am trying to increase my distance and run off the bike. I must admit I'd not really trained for the half marathon but covering all three disciplines fairly equally (I am a strong swimmer, so tend to be building on that and trying to make small improvements in the other areas). I enjoy running the most now, so may want to concentrate on that more in the future.

Good luck with your marathon too! 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chris, I've taken 23mins off from first half marathon to my last one...so no reason why you can't do the same over time if not more, depending on how serious you get, how injury free you stay and how much time you can put into it.
  • Options
    Stevie- that's fantastic! How did you do this? Was it through a club or running on your own?
  • Options
    Chris, agree with most comments above. Although you don't have to be in a club to improve! If you get a decent training schedule and perhaps a running partner who is stronger runner than you can achieve a great deal on your own. Most people only run with a club once a week do your on your own most of the time anyway. There a massive resource on here and the rest if the web.
  • Options

I heard from different places that StevieG ran the HM the first time but rode a bike the second time. 23 mins off - simples!

Chris, sounds like you are well on your way to setting up some serious goals. I've avoided doing triathlons because I believed they were a serious dilution of focus. This is a personal point of view, not a judgement I make about triathlons in general. I just felt I could really improve by sticking at one discipline, whereas the constant switching between three fairly technical areas could result in being consistently average (maybe that's half the fun of the challenge!).

• Options
    Chris - My first half was the great north run last year which I completed in 1h 50ms, after only taking up running two months previous to it...

I now run 30 mile weeks, have got my PB for a 5K down from 23m to 19m 19s, train at 7 m/m and have lost 2 stone image I also cycle, swim and go to the gym to do weights etc.

I also train by myself so treat anything and everything as possible and you will see huge gains in a short time image

2nd Half on Sunday at Alloa which I hope to run a 1h 30m PB image
  • Options

Tricky- yes I agree with your comments about tri. i think I will perhaps stick more to running after my iron distance.

Stevie- is it just a matter of pushing myself or getting a decent running programme or book? Great to know you have done this on your own, brill achievement!

• Options
    Thanks Chris...First of all you need to decide - running for enjoyment or running for enjoyment with a PB thrown in image ? I made my decision last October then entered 5 half marathons this year along with some shorter ones. All are local halfs apart from the GNR so keeping costs down. At first I just started running 4 out of 7 days and finding a good tempo, my training pace and then ran a mile as fast as I could to give me an idea of what I had to work on. Then, I wrote down a ten week training schedule for Alloa to which mainly I have kept too, it is hard at times, but I find that people on the forums can quickly cheer you up and get you back on track image

Stick to your strenghts, keep focused on what you want out of it and train hard but most of all, enjoy it image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Steve and best of luck, keep me posted on your time for Alloa image 
  • Options

Right! Just done my second in 1:40, so bettered it by 11 minutes!

• Options

Excellent Chris, well done. I did my first half aged 40 in 2:09 and earlier this year aged 49 ran 1:24, so be assured you can go even faster image

• Options
    Fish thats amazing!!!!! Thanks!!