Options

Barefoot running ... genius or stupid?

I grew up in the middle east, walking bare feet was completely normal (even in the mountains) but urban life here being a total pain, it's not easy walking around without anything on your feet SO, being fed up with normal running and non running shoes and truly missing being bare feet everywhere and anywhere, I got myself a pair of Vibram fivefinger toe shoes so to see if it would give me the same sensation as not wearing any shoes at all.

I went running in the woods today wearing my toe shoes and it was fantastic. I normally suffer from shin splints but not a single ache so far.

Has anyone else tried barefoot running or the toe shoes and what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    i am an interested but cautious observer.
  • Options
    why are you cautious about it?

I wouldn't advise wearing it for a marathon or even a 10k before first having worn it to training etc and got used to it but otherwise, it's a pretty strange yet fantastic feeling when you can feel how you are placing your foot and feel whats underneath you.

I admit that youd have to be almost certain that you want to commit before spending so much money on a pair of shoes*

*and thats coming from a girl who loves shoes
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I spent 6 months in VFFs ... gradually built up mileage ... eventually ran a few races and got a few PBs ... I even did a full marathon (not a good one but that wasn't related to the VFFs). It was a useful period for educating me to run more correctly and getting me away from chunky trainers (and it cured my ITBS) ... but I much prefer running in racing flats (far less "ouch" moments).
  • Options

I've no doubt this thread will spark a lively debate!

There are many users of this forum (myself included) who have revolutionised the way we run by converting to barefoot/minimal shoe running - ridding ourselves of chronic injury problems, learning better form and having a whole lot of fun too!

On the other hand, there are some who have found barefoot difficult. You have to be prepared to work hard on your form and slash your running mileage at first, to allow the body to adapt. Sometimes you don't get it right at first, and you get hurt. I made mistakes, but I accepted the lessons learned and persevered. I got there in the end, and it was worth it!

There are many who argue that they run happily in conventional shoes, and say 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?'

There are also those who say the evidence for barefoot running as a way to avoid injury is pretty light, although more studies are being published all the time.

My take is this: our ancestors ran barefoot for thousands of years, and our bodies are clearly designed to move in that way. Thick, restrictive and inflexible shoes stop us from moving correctly - something which can affect our posture and impact on the joints and muscles throughout the body. That can't be good.

Wearing bad shoes even affects the circulation.I used to suffer terribly from cold feet and chillblains. In the winter I always wore thick socks and slippers around the house, and I was still freezing. Since converting to barefoot running, I now walk around the house completely unshod on the coldest winter days - and we've even converted to wood floors instead of carpet now, too!

I love the feeling of being barefoot, but I accept it's not always practical. Vivobarefoot are my preferred shoes, but I also tentatively recommend the Inov8 Evoskin for a 'hardcore' barefoot experience. It looks freaky and doesn't seem very robust, and it tends to get sweaty and slippery when running, but it's as near as dammit to being truly barefoot.

• Options

I haven't got the fivefinger shoes but i have invested in the minimalist nike trainers, i've only just got them &  have been out a couple of times, only for half a mile just to get my body use to them, i was told to take it easy & not to go straight into my normal run!

I have to say they are so nice & comfortable, my calves are killing me but that's to be expected, but it was like i was running in a very comfortable pair of slippers.

I'm definitely going to continue building up the distance in them so eventually i can get rid of my chunky road trainers.

• Options
    Anne V.I agree that are ancestors ran barefoot.but they didn't have concrete or tarmac......if you are lucky to be able to run all your run avoiding those then you must be one of the few.....our ancestors did it from birth......we haven't....

• Options

I have a pair of Vibram Bikilas and now run once or twice in them, up to 5 miles, and in addition to otherwise running in 'normal' trainers with orthotics. I'm not sure if I can prove whether or not it's making me less injury prone but my observations are:

1. It's made me much more aware of my gait - I can feel where I put my feet and really note where the ball of my foot is

2. #1 has led to a more economical running style

3. I have a suspicion (TBC) that I run a bit faster in them

4. My calf muscles felt like they were pressed into action properly for the first time ever (a good thing)

5. They may have caused an occasional niggle in one knee (but that could have been anything)

5. A slow build up (ten minutes added each week) was important as at first it was a bit of a shock

6. Inexplicably, wearing them puts me in an excellent mood. image

• Options
    P.S. interested to know if other orthotics wearers also go 'barefoot'
  • Options

I wear orthotics & have been for over a year because i overpronate quite a bit, the podiatrist adviced me to wear the orthotics. 

The reason i'm trying the barefoot running is because i've started a Sports & Remedial Therapy diploma, since learning a bit more about the body, muscles etc i was curious to see if i could convert from a supportive road trainer with orthotics to running in a pair of minimal shoes, i know it's going to take time & i have to stick with it, plus i'm building up on strengthening the arch's of my feet, legs, core etc to improve my running style & hopefully decrease injuries.

I have to say so far the minimal shoe is so much more comfortable,  i'm hoping i can build up the miles & see a big improvement.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imagePodiatrists always advise you to wear orthotics ... I wonder how many experienced runners would?

AnneV wrote: My take is this: our ancestors ran barefoot for thousands of years, and our bodies are clearly designed to move in that way.

Our ancestors in the Kalahari or wherever may have plodded along at yomping pace in order to run down game over the course of many hours ... but I bet you they didn't race many 10Ks on tarmac, or do interval sessions, or 26.2M at marathon race pace,  etc.

Racing flats are great ... minimalist, light, gimick-free, designed to do the job. 

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see
    )
    Anne V.I agree that are ancestors ran barefoot.but they didn't have concrete or tarmac......if you are lucky to be able to run all your run avoiding those then you must be one of the few.....our ancestors did it from birth......we haven't....

Curiously, it's often easier to run barefoot on smooth concrete and tarmac than on natural terrain. My route takes me along the streets, back alleys and riverside paths of the City of London, and in fair weather and daylight I've run it completely barefoot quite a few times.

Yes, you do get broken glass and all kinds of unsavoury stuff, but it's pretty easy to see and avoid it. The only place that defeats me is the Millennium Bridge, which is surfaced with a sharp metal grille - ouch!

Country trails are fun in the mud - I love feeling it squidge between my toes - but rocky surfaces and rough undergrowth are for the hardcore barefooter only. I'm not there yet, although I have developed quite strong 'pads' now.

Mostly I wear minimal shoes, but barefoot is more fun when the conditions allow.

I've heard it said that you can only learn perfect form when running completely barefoot. Not sure if that's true, but I do think it helps a lot. Once you've learned how to move in a more natural way, you can keep doing it even in shoes - as long as they don't restrict your feet.

• Options
    Just came across this article, which gives an excellent overview of the facts and issues around barefoot/minimal running.
  • Options

Interesting comments about tarmac/concrete.  It's generally acknowledged that the modern running shoe (cushioning wedge heel) was developed in the early 70's by Nike. Presumably before 1972 there was no need for this type of footwear as concrete and tarmac didn't exist then.

Of more interest is the fact that in the 40 years since then there has been no published research which identifies the modern running shoe as having any benefit whatsoever.  Some research has suggested that increasing the cushioning of running shoes leads to increased, rather than decreased, impact force. 

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Another orthotics wearer here who runs in vivo barefoot shoes! I have vibrams too but find getting my toes in and out of them hassle so prefer the vivo barefoots! I only run a couple of miles in them but can walk around in them for hours, I will build up to more running time in them but am a bit tentative as I'm worried about injury!

I love running n them though they are comfy and I like feeling the ground image
  • Options

I think the population who ran were probably a lot more limited before the 70s which may have had some impact.  There was a big boom around then so a lot more people of all different builds, perhaps more variation in biomechanics as well.

Is there any evidence that "barefoot" shoes reduce injuries?

There is evidence that you can reduce some force using a POSE style of running, but equally that it can increase forces elsewhere.  That's from a paper with Dr Romanov amongst it's authors.  Interestingly he doesn't mention this as far as I can see in his book.

• Options
    XFR Bear wrote (see
    )

Is there any evidence that "barefoot" shoes reduce injuries?

The evidence to date is mostly anecdotal. What does seem to be clear from the scientific research is that forefoot striking reduces the risk of injury, and that runners in high-heeled shoes are much more likely to heel strike. Barefoot running tends to improve form, and obviously this should result in lower injury rates.

Here are some links to studies I've come across:

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/publishahead/Effects_of_Footwear_and_Strike_Type_on_Running.98754.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22217561

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html

I don't think kicking off your shoes and going for a run magically stops you from getting injured, but it does help you learn to listen to your body and focus more on your form.

In my own experience, I've been injured BY barefoot running - because I tried to transition too fast and do too much, too soon. But since then, by learning to do it right, I've managed to rid myself of some chronic Achilles, knee and hip problems which had held me back for years when I ran in old-style shoes as a heel-striker.

• Options
    Does it have to be "genius or stupid"?

Can't it just be "ok"? Like crossfit, zumba, the atkins diet, any modern craze.

The promoters will make money out of it, some customers will get on with it, some customers won't get on with it, the kind of people who are predisposed to being true believers will be evangelical about it, the people who don't want to change will fee threatened by the true believers and be equally negative, the majority of the exercising population, and the vast majority of he wider population, won't give a toss about it

Then it will fall out of favour and become part of the background, and it will reach prominence again in ~10 year cycles, after the faddies are given long enough to forget about it, so a whole new group of people (or the same ones again) can make a french bunch of cash out of it by making it "the next big thing" all over again
  • Options

Rather than thinking of barefoot running as a fad or craze, I think it's more accurate to see the habit of wearing high-heeled, padded shoes as a boom fuelled by marketing.

Shoe manufacturers played on our fears of injury and convinced us that their products would provide a magic bullet to keep us running pain-free. Now we're becoming more savvy, and realising that this was all puff without a shred of evidence to back it up.

There's a groundswell of opinion moving towards the barefoot end of the spectrum now. Running stores are stocking minimalist shoes. Advice from running experts (such as RW) now focuses on the importance of good form rather than simply choosing a shoe to 'correct' your gait. It has been recognised that good form means landing on your mid or forefoot rather than your heel.

The essential message of barefoot running is that we should run the way our bodies were designed to run - whether shod or unshod. It's no longer seen as OK to just go out there and pound the pavements any old way you please. People have realised that, just as with every other sport, there's a right and a wrong way to do it. If you do it wrong, you can hurt yourself.

So the focus has shifted - instead of relying on footwear, we're realising we have to put in the effort and make sure we run correctly. This may not be what everyone wants to hear (it's much easier just to buy a pair of shoes to sort out all your problems!) but it's the truth, and it's not going to go away.

• Options
    i wish they wouldn't use the word barefoot.........if you want to run barefoot then do.........but they are charging you high amounts of money to mimic barefoot.......that seems to me to be the marketing fad in it all......

i'm also not convinced by the fact that we are told we have to learn to run correctly as if there is a correct way....I think running is such a natural thing and the correct way for everyone to run to limit injuries is to run the way that comes naturally to themselves.........which is different in different people......

a one way fits all isn't the way forward to me.......we are all individuals....
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see
    )
    i wish they wouldn't use the word barefoot.........if you want to run barefoot then do.........but they are charging you high amounts of money to mimic barefoot.......that seems to me to be the marketing fad in it all...... i'm also not convinced by the fact that we are told we have to learn to run correctly as if there is a correct way....I think running is such a natural thing and the correct way for everyone to run to limit injuries is to run the way that comes naturally to themselves.........which is different in different people...... a one way fits all isn't the way forward to me.......we are all individuals....

I agree - 'barefoot shoes' is a contradiction in terms. The term 'minimalist shoes' was coined to get around this, but it doesn't have the same impact for marketing. But who cares - the point is that you can actually go running without shelling out a penny on shoes! That has to be liberating!

I also agree that everyone should run in the way that comes naturally to them. Or rather, the way that WOULD have come naturally, if they hadn't spent years wearing shoes that have altered their gait and posture. People in countries where barefoot is the norm all tend to run in a very similar way. There's some natural variation, but certain traits (midfoot/forefoot landing, fast cadence, landing below your centre of gravity) are universal. If you run in a way that differs from this, you're almost certainly doing so because external factors have distorted your natural style. 

I am a natural forefoot striker, yet for years I ran on my heels in padded shoes. It felt right at the time, but it caused me all sorts of injuries. As soon as I ran barefoot, I naturally changed to forefoot striking - and the injuries went away.

Our feet are incredibly complex and delicate pieces of engineering, designed by millions of years of evolution to operate in a certain way. If we interfere with the delicate balance by introducing the wrong shoes, the effects are profound. It can take quite some time to 'un-learn' the bad habits they cause, because we believe they feel natural.

I can vouch for the fact that when you do discover your TRUE natural running style, the sensation is amazing. You feel light, smooth, nimble and free. You think, 'why didn't I always run like this?'

If you still need convincing, take a look at this awesome form from a medical and anatomical expert who is also a superb barefoot runner, Dr Mark Cucuzella: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

• Options
    Anne.yes you can go running barefoot without paying a penny........but lets be honest...i have done it and so have you........but how many people out there do......

I think the whole thing is just another way to charge a fortune to get people to buy their products........and they use the free from injury hype to get them to part from their cash.....but if they were not listening to their bodies before then the majority will not listen to their bodies now and will still get injured......they want a magic cure

because the majority of us are not meant to run.....we are overweight and have not run continuously outdoors since we are kids.we have not developed over our life time to run and from years of lounging around and working at computers we are biomechanical nightmares..........and so we have not got the bodies to run but we still want to...so whichever shoe and whichever style enables us to do that has to be good........
  • Options
    AnneV wrote (see)

I also agree that everyone should run in the way that comes naturally to them. Or rather, the way that WOULD have come naturally, if they hadn't spent years wearing shoes that have altered their gait and posture. People in countries where barefoot is the norm all tend to run in a very similar way. There's some natural variation, but certain traits (midfoot/forefoot landing, fast cadence, landing below your centre of gravity) are universal. If you run in a way that differs from this, you're almost certainly doing so because external factors have distorted your natural style. 

Out of interest, years of running barefoot or years of walking around in shoes? Lots of people start running all the time, are you saying if you begin barefoot (or in minimalist shoes) you'll automatically have good form?

• Options

I agree with Seren about the idea that there is a "correct" way to run.  The POSE etc literature is littered with terms like this - how do you know what is correct?  It's not the only phrase, there's others like "properly" and "how we were designed to run",  all of these are basically saying there is a right way and a wrong way. It's questionnable at a variety of levels - unless you believe in a higher power, we evolved rather than were designed, for a start.  It's interesting how one of those papers you posted AnneV (thanks for those btw) says that it's actually more efficient to heel strike in minimalist shoes, whereas POSE always sells itself as maximising efficiency.

There's another thread on this a month or two back, there's some interesting links in there showing how forefoot striking can increase risk of injury - it basically concludes that the evidence is still mixed.

I still think it's an interesting idea, but I think it's over-hyped.

• Options
    True believers cannot be disuaded to a neutral position in general. They will take anecdotes, hearsay and conjecture as a " kind" of evidence. Lordy, the loony christian ones show each other reams of "scientific evidence" which "Prove" the earth is around 5,000 years old. So the shoe ones are quite tame by comparison!
  • Options

That's a good question, and I haven't seen an answer to it yet.

My feeling is that any kind of shoes with raised heels are likely to affect your posture and gait. And there are other lifestyle factors that come into play: for example, if you have a sedentary job which involves a lot of sitting down, you may have weak glutes. Plus you may have suffered an injury (I had an accident where I fell down a deep hole, and the physio told me this had unbalanced my pelvis and caused a weakness on one side of my body. I wasn't aware of it, but it affected my gait. He taught me how to correct it.).

So my guess is that if you start running as an adult, and you haven't grown up barefoot, you will probably have to work on getting your form right.

However, I think somebody new to running is ideally placed to try barefoot/minimal running. It's important for all barefoot runners to build up distance and speed slowly, and this can be difficult for experienced runners who don't want to cut their mileage and slow down. New runners will naturally build up gradually.

Anyone new to barefoot running should be careful and read up on correct form before they start, though.  The key is to listen to your body, and be aware that if something hurts, it may mean you're doing something wrong. If you were taking up any other sport, such as tennis or swimming, you'd probably study the correct way to do it - maybe even take lessons from a qualified coach. Running shouldn't be any different - and that's the case whether you're doing it barefoot or in traditional shoes.

• Options
    Last april i decided to start running. After going to a shop and getting my gait analysed and sold a pair of shoes that were "right" for me i spent the next 2 weeks struggling every time i ran with a few different niggling pains. Then after a drunken chat with a friend they put the idea of barefoot running forward so i investigated. Now nearly a year on and i haven't had a single injury and am training for my 1st marathon in October which i will be running in my Vibrams. I truly believe i wouldn't have kept going if it wasn't for that drunken chat!

I can understand its not for everyone but i think its mainly that people truly believe they need a pair of trainers to run in now-a-days. This is proved when you get all sort of odd looks when out running barefoot, people struggle to believe it can be worth it. Yet 40 years ago everyone who ran did so in a flat soled shoe but years of clever marketing have led us to believe we need a built up all singing all dancing shoe!

I find it interesting that people question that our ancestors ran barefoot but didn't have to run on tarmac. For anyone that's ran barefoot off road (not just on nice grass) will tell you that running on stony ground is far more uncomfortable than the smooth tarmac!

Leonardo Di Vinci said "The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art." but we then wrap them up and don't let them do the job they have evolved to do.
  • Options

As far as I can tell, it seems that almost everyone who tries barefoot or minimal shoe running loves it. It's normal to experience some teething problems (calf pain being the major one) but generally people appear to find they are able to run in a way that's more natural and more fun, and they report fewer injuries.

This seems logical to me, and it's the same as my own experience. But I was brought up in a family of scientists, so I learned to always question everything and stay a little bit sceptical! So I'd be genuinely interested to hear if anyone on this forum has tried barefoot running and it didn't work out for you?

• Options

Any discussion of barefoot/minimalist running tends to get bogged down in the arguments about whether you can prove it's better for you. Personally I don't think it's correct to say, as some do, that you can run "injury free" by adopting this style. As far as I am aware there have been no studies which have shown this, and any evidence is purely anectdotal.

However of more interest, for me at least, is the fact that all the billions of dollars spent on developing and marketing new running shoes has produced no evidence that these are any better for you either.  None.  You would think that companies like Nike would be keen to show how much better it is to run in their shoes, in fact they can't say that because the last 40 years has shown that they are not, in fact, any use.

AnneV had it exactly right in my opinion. There is such a thing as good and bad running form. Why is that so hard to believe? Why would running be the only sport where no-one needed to learn good technique and just did 'what feels right'?

Learning good form is hard work. It takes time, it's frustrating and you will need to go back almost to the beginning to do it, which is why it's so much easier to just go to a running shop and have them sell you something you both hope will 'fix' whatever problem you have. 

Barefoot/minimalist running is not a fad about which designer flat shoes you want to be seen in. It's about admitting that the modern running shoe is actually not any good. Run in barefeet, run in VFF's, run in old school plimsoles for all I care, just learn to run better. 

• Options

stupid....

junless its in the sahara desert or somewhere ...