Options

Advice needed for ultramarathon stage race please

Hi everyone. I am after some advice if possible
On Macrh 1st i am planing to go off to french Guina to do a 100 mile 6 day stage run. The stages are mostly 12-14 miles but one run of 30 miles on one day/ Wll be 30 degrees on ave and 95 % humidity. There are no time cut offs as such but would like to do as fast as physically possible !
I have done only 2 marathons before- best time 3h 47. 1/2 marathon PB 1h 31.

I have just had a rest for 3w and my base now is 20 miles per week.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before ( it to raise money for charity close to my heart) ? Previously any mileage from 40-50 miles a week i tend to get niggling injuries. Any advice/experience/etc very much appreciated. I plan to start my " active" training form 1st Spetember which gives me 6 months.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    'just did a 3 mountain marathons in 3 days stage race this summer... All I can say is: expect it to be painful... you will wake up in the morning, your legs refusing to bend, and will have serious doubts about your ability to complete the stage. Once you start warming up however, things will start to feel 'normal' again. Be wary of long descents... They'll stuff your quads.
    I was surprised at how slowly everyone started at first, but it didn't take me long to understand... When you have to run for 4/5 hours day after day, your usual tempo pace, say, suddenly feels like you are right in the red.
    Guina will be hot, your feet will swell... buy shoes half a size (or maybe a full size) bigger.

I'll leave it to more experienced competitors in that type of event to give you more advice...
  • Options
    Hubcap writes: "Previously any mileage from 40-50 miles a week i tend to get niggling injuries."

I'd make the first stage of your training programme a trip to a good sports physio to get any imbalances and niggles sorted out now! It'll be too late once you start training.

Good luck!!!!!! What's the charity?
  • Options
    I have booked up to see a podiatrist to get my feet checked in a few weeks time ( will give me 5 1/2 mths thereafter), Seem to get R leg probs only- achilles tendonitis/knee pain/calf pain/etc.. so as you say best to get sorted now. Will stay at 25-30 miles over next month until assessed.
    The charity is the " Ectopic Pregnancy Trust" My wife nearly died from an ecoptic pregnancy last year- where the baby grows outside the womb- and has to be removed- very dangerous, ( if interested website is www.ectopic.org). Soon i hope to have my own webpage so that people can read about the run/reasons/charity/etc.. if they are interested.
    NickJ well done on your challenge.
    I know it will hurt- probably the creepy crawlies i worry about most !
    I need to lose a stone in weight during the training as well and hope to avoid injuries as the mileage goes up !

• Options
    e-mail tim rainey... forum ultra king
  • Options
    DO you know the Email address andy ?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    er, no but go to the sub 3:30 thread in FLM, find one of his postings and click his details
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hubcap - very worthwhile cause. I had a friend who also nearly died through an ectopic pregnancy - she was on holiday when things went wrong (she didn't know she was pregnant) and lost 6 pints of blood. Happily she made a full recovery, and despite having (obviously) lost one tube, she now has two healthy, happy children.

Let us know nearer the time how we can donate.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I too had an ectopic pregency so can emphasize with your cause.

Can't offer advice, but good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks Guys- Hope to have website up in few weeks and then be a/v to donate.
    Hope you are both well now, I am also a GP advisor to the charity, www.ectopic.org

best wishes
  • Options
    Any ultramarathoners with good advice around ??