Options

Shooting pain down back of left leg?

Playing cricket this afternoon I was sprinting for a ball when I got a shooting pain down the back of my left leg, starting just below the buttock and as far as the knee. It's fine when standing around or walking slowly, but when jogging it's there.

It's not the hamstring, it feels nearer the surface. I'm guessing it might me some sort of nerve? Anything I can do about this?

Comments

• Options

Hi Mike,

It could be the sciatic nerve. Any pins and needles or numbness in the leg or foot? Any weakness there?

I know you don't think it's hamstring but it does sound like it could be. It would a little unusual to injure a nerve sprinting but very common to pick up a hamstring injury. Does it hurt if you use the hamstring e.g. dig the back of your heel into the ground?

You could try a slump test, that's what I'd use if I was examining you. Sit on the edge of the bed and first slump your upper body, bringing your chin to your chest with your hands behind your back. Straighten the painful leg and see if it brings on your pain. If it does, see if the pain decreases when you lift your head. If so this is more suggestive of a sciatic nerve issue.

Repeat the test again only this time sit up tall and maintain an arch in your lower back. Straighten the leg. This places more stretch on the hamstring and less on the sciatic nerve, so if it hurts more it's suggestive of a hamstring problem.

If it's a sciatic nerve issue with pins and needles or numbness I'd advise seeing your GP or a physio about it. Nerve pain can be tricky to treat and easy to aggravate.

If it's the hamstring then I'd rest it and use ice to settle before running again. Personally I wouldn't keep running if it hurts, give it a little time to heal. Usually I'd rest for at least a week,anywhere up to 6 depending on the severity of the injury. Only return to running when pain free and avoid speed or hill work.

Try the test above and let me know how you get on, I can then offer more advice if needed.

Hope that helps

Tom

• Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

Hi Tom. I'm so sorry for not replying to your excellent post earlier, I've been trying to work out whether this is hamstring or not. It's 6 weeks on now so I'm sure you can guess the answer! 

The pain has decreased from its initial sharpness, now it's more of a dull ache, mostly when sitting down and I feel it when driving in particular. It's mostly gone from the hamstring area and moved up to the buttock. But it's still definitely there and is annoying me. I've been running reasonably happily, I feel it for the first 50m or so then it's not so bad.

I'm thinking (and the bed test indicates) that this is more likely to be sciatic nerve (though there's no pins and needles or numbness). Any further advice?

• Options
    Hi Mike,

I'm glad things have improved and you're able to keep running. There are a couple of stretches that might help.

Try stretching piriformis, details here;

http://www.drbackman.com/piriformis-muscle-stretch.htm

The sciatic nerve can be irritated if piriformis is tight.

Also try using the slump test as a gentle stretch. Sit on the edge of the bed and first slump your upper body and bring your chin to your chest, then straighten the affected leg and as you do so sit up tall and raise the head and chest back to a normal position. This has the affect of "flossing the nerve" placing a stretch on one end as you take the stretch off the other. Do 5 or 6 reps but stop if painful

Hope that makes sense

Tom
  • Options

Like Tom says, might be a piriformis problem - that overlies the sciatic nerve and it it's spasming, you get sciatic pain (I did!). Lots of specific stretches, and lying on my back using a tennis ball to massage deep into the muscle, and physio sessions and I'm finally without that pain again!

• Options
    Deepest sympathy.

Tom is giving you free physio advice of the highest quality, clearly he is an expert and has to be circumspect about giving advice without having a face to face diagnostic... however he probably realises how bad this pain can be, it simply does not stop, do the wrong thing and you can make it worse... respect Tom.

I had this, I could not stand up straight. After six month physio (x2 per week). I was Ok. 4 years later I have achieved my come back marathon!! 2 more in the pipeline... I really appreciate running now. When my physio said he would get me back to running (he did not know how far... but atleast 3 miles) my morale went through the roof. The surgeon I saw before the physio just wanted to cut me open, with a 60% chance that the scar tissue would perminently disabilitate me!

Moral of this story: explore all possibilities before you decide what to do.
  • Options
    Thanks King Kong and well done for getting back to running marathons, that must have taken a lot of hard work.
  • Options
    No shit. My physio was called Adrian and worked at Ellesmere Port Hospital. I have nothing but respect for you guys.
  • Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

Really appreciate the help. Sat at my desk right now doing this stretch and it feels better already!