Options

nike zoom elite or asics gel hyper 33

im looking to get a new pair of lightweight shoes that still has ample cushioning and ive narrowed it down to the nike zoom elite and the asics gel hyper 33. has anyone used either of these before and know how they compare?

Comments

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    The Zoom Elite are marketed as racing shoes, I found them to be stiff, clumpy and heavy... Lunar Racers would be a much better choice if you want Nike.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    DomF wrote (see)
    The Zoom Elite are marketed as racing shoes, I found them to be stiff, clumpy and heavy... Lunar Racers would be a much better choice if you want Nike.

I wonder what version of Zoom Elite you're talking about, because from what I've just tried on, the latest version 5 are none of the above. I've been through versions 3 and 4 and was disappointed when they discontinued the Zoom Elite altogether.  I tried something in the Lunar range at that point, lunarglide I think, and I definitely found them to be clumpy in comparison to the Zoom Elite.  Didn't get on with them at all.

I've just tried on a pair of Zoom Elite 5 in the Nike store and they felt great so I've ordered a pair.  From the brief experience of a little run up and down, the upper is softer, i.e. less stiff than the previous version, if anything more in common fit-wise with version 3 which I think I preferred to 4, yet they had that very familiar and satisfyingly responsive springy cushioning.  I'll give you more of a review when I've had a proper run in them.

BTW, this is the only time I've happily tried something on in a shop, then run off to buy them cheaper off the net.  Since it was the manufacturer's shop, they're still getting my money.  Plus, the ''AW'' model that Wiggle have on sale is a nicer colour than any of the shop options.  image

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Ooops, apologies, just looked in the cupboard and I appear to have mixed up Lunar Elites with Zoom Elites. I blame Nike's naming policy.

The Lunar Elite are the ones my comments refer to, they are from last year so may have been upgraded.

Phil Pub, the Zoom Elite 5 sound interesting, will have to check them out, thanks for the tip.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Ah, in which case yes - the Zoom Elite are a completely different shoe and the Lunar range-style clumpiness is the precise reason I lamented the old Zoom Elites being discontinued.  The only thing the new Zoom Elite have in common with the Lunar range - to look at anyway - is the style of the overlays in the upper.  I think you'll find they have a much smoother feel, and with a slightly lower profile heel than the old model, they're a smoother ride.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Mini-review taster time.  Had my first run in the Nike Zoom Elite 5 yesterday evening (5 x 1200 track interval session, plus 6 miles round trip easy running to get there and back) and I am hugely impressed.  Incredibly comfortable, and definitely harking back in style and feel to the NZE 3.

A fuller review to follow after a long tempo run tomorrow.

• Options
    Interested in getting theses trainers. Are they a racing trainer?
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

They're marketed as being for "faster training and racing".  Certainly way more substantial than a racing flat, but lighter than your average support/stability shoe, about 300g I think.

My last two marathons were run in NZE 3 and 4 respectively and although I'd considered I might try and go a little more minimalist for my next one, now I'm definitely considering v5 for the job, although a lot more test running needs to be done before then.