Options

what was your finish time for your first marathon?

Sorry if this has been done before but I am interested (as I am running my first marathon next week at Manchester) as to what everyone's first marathon finish time was and if you did better or worse than expected?

Comments

• Options
    4:34.it was a boiling hot day in edinburgh and i was hoping for 4:30 for best time.still really happy as i had only been running 8/9 months........one of my best races.......
  • Options
    that is great for someone who had only been running 8-9 months!
  • Options

I had a look at your profile H20 and I would say you will do well if your nearer to the 50 miles a week as apposed to 30, and with 10 years of running behind you your in a better position than most first time marathon  runners.

I will never understand the " I was 2 stone over weight but took up running 6 months ago and want to do my  first marathon in 4 months. Any tips?" type

I have been running for only 3-4 years and dont see any marathons being run soon

Good fortune to you.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

How about ''I've lost 3 stone in 6 months going to the gym and eating sensibly, but I fancy a challenge now so I think I'll do a marathon in 9 months' time... so I'd better start doing some running. Any tips?''

3:04:56.

• Options
    Thank you Stephen - my average weekly training has been between 45 and 53 (that was the most). I did a training run of the full distance in early Feb (I was mad yes but psychologically a good thing for me) at my easy pace and completed it in 4.06 and it was a positive split of 2.02 and 2.04 which not too bad. My aim is a 3.49:59 and I have done a 16 mile MRP (8:35m/m) 13.1 mile MRP and loads of LSR's between 16 and 24 miles at easy pace ( I started training last October!). I just need to believe I have that pace in me and we shall see on the day. My last HM was in MArch and was a 1.45 finish. I really hope I can as will be hugely disappointed if I don't but hey ho, it depends on more than just me - loads of factors can mess up on the day. very nervous now though.
  • Options
    You are kidding Phil...? Really you did that after only running 9 months!?
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I used to do a lot of cycling, plus 6 months of 4/5 visits a week to the gym gave me a good aerobic base.  But yeah, started running July 2006 and was lucky enough to get through the ballot for London 2007.  Was hoping for a sub-3 but it was a warm one, so very happy with the run on the day.

Your prep looks pretty thorough. I've never done the full distance in training, but if you can manage just over 4 hrs in training I'm sure your target will be achievable.  I think a lot of newbies are most nervous about making the distance at all, so hopefully this will give you some confidence.

• Options
    tell yer Sundayimage
  • Options

Philpub is a bloody show off

Cycling pah thats just running while sitting down!

*stomps off, kicks imaginary cat*

• Options
    Phil, I could have gone well faster on the training run, I forced myself to stick to around 9.25m/m as I knew it would be a grave error if I raced 26.2 miles in training. The advantage I have is I still remember that run, I was alone, it wasn't too hard and I have done 2 months of MRP training since then. So fingers crossed. Bloody hell, that is awesome considering you were pretty new to running. But like you say, you had a great base fitness and I did read that a lot of triathletes concentrate on the cycling and still do brilliant runs.

Good luck Stu!
  • Options

Ummm, 6.02. I'd been doing a little bit of running and managed a half in 1.50, then tore a bunch of ligaments in my leg falling down a flight of stairs and embarked upon a relationship with a chubby non-running bloke during my recuperation. I entered the Loch Ness marathon in January, saying to myself: Well, I've got 9 months to train... Well, I've got 8 months to train... Well, I've still got 16 weeks to train...Well, I've still got 12 weeks to train... etc etc.

I think I kind of got 'stage fright' about embarking on a set training plan and ended up at the start line having not had my trainers on my feet even once in the previous 6 months. Perhaps stupidly I wasn't the least bit in doubt that I could make the whole distance, I just knew it was going to take me ages, which it did! I still enjoyed it hugely though. 

• Options

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/split

H20 look at this little gadget

I put in your goal time and if you ran very negatively I reckon you could bring this baby home easy

Start in the mid 9 min/mile pace, finish at 8 min/mile or so.

I could even see you doing it in 3.40-3:45

Though I am surely telling you how to suck eggs, I have always found that the warm up is the key.

A good 20-40 minutes of dynamic stretches,(not static), strides, some really slow jogging to get the body and mind  into running mode.

So you go from bloke in little shorts to runner.

Oh yes and a bit of positive visualisation and relax.

I once sort of gave up on a 5k race 3/4 of the way through and ended up with a personal best and 2nd place.

Use the crowds get off on their energy

oh your gonna love it!

• Options
    Haha little WOMAN in shorts! image

Will have a gander at that and thank you very much Stephen, that is kind of you. I was thinking along lines of 8.50m/m first 10 miles then 8.40m/m for 10-20 miles then seeing how I felt last 10k but your way looks kind of tempting. AND the most sensible.
  • Options

my first solo marathon was 3:23, i was terribly disappointed by it as i was on for 3 hours , but in truth i took off to quick

in those days i could clock anything around 80 - miles pw

my solo pb stood at 2:52

my first marathon pushing phillip in his wheelchair was 4:12 , i was well chuffed with that

our pb stands at 4:03

• Options
    The negative split starting at 9.06 and finishing on 8.35 looks good. And would get me a 3.45 finish. Hmmm food for thought...
  • Options
    Mick that is brilliant - 4.03 pushing Phillip in a wheelchair! Wow, hats off to you. So you think taking it slower better rather than starting at MRP and trying to stick to it?
  • Options
    HO2.i firmly believe that running for a number of years before going lon...g is probably the best way to tackle things........

but some of us need motivation and wouldn't think of entering a shorter race thinking that they are for runners.......I went out and did my first run and went home and entered a marathon.....that inspired me to keep going and then after 8 weeks join a running club......

everyone is different.....my marathon time only dropped significantly after i had done several ultras
  • Options

H02 - thankyou

my expereince tells me that in a marathon its critical to get the first  6 miles right, and then gradually work into it

get the race pace wrong and one is buggared - it takes a mentally strong and expereinced runner to comeback from burn out - i've tried and it aint easy

i was gonna keep on talking , but i wont bore u all

• Options
    4:28, I'm yet to beat this.
  • Options

Yep it will work but you have to discipline yourself when everyone buggers off over the horizon.

You have to tell yourself "we will meet again, and it wont be me puking in the hedge"image Haha

As for being a woman instead of a bloke your efforts are even more impressive.

Have you got that sub 20 minute 5k yet?

Bet your one of those short small women who just go on and on and on.

Just like those tall big blokes that I race against.

Takes forever to get past you like bloody Durecell bunnies

Really how do you do it?

Really how?

eh?image

• Options
    Seren - my only other races have been HMs. I have never done a shorter race so I too went from recreational runner to longer distances. GNR was my first. Everyone has their own way. No rules! Ultras definitely where I want to end up. Well done to you. I admire anyone willing to run that far.

No Phil, advice greatly appreciated! I could chat about running all day. If I have trained at MRP of 8.35 to 8.40 (16 miles done at 8.40) would you say I should start at 8.55-8.50 and get progressively quicker?
  • Options
    Stephen surely not everyone in a large marathon starts off at 7m/m...? Oh yes, I shall start steady and hopefully overtake a shit load of hares! Best laid plans and all that!

No, I haven't worked on 5k speed. My aim is to get a sub 1.40HM by summer (could probably do it now, I am running 8 miles at 7.35m/m no problem) but aim is long this year. 5k just doesn't excite me whatsoever. Doesn't seem worth getting stressed over the night before but understand the pull of the shorter races, especially as they get you faster over the long. I am not too short (5ft6) but pretty small in build but yes, I do have good endurance. Having 3 young kids kind of makes you want to run as far away as possible...
  • Options

yes no rules

it has to be your way

• Options
    3.22......total training in last 6 weeks was one 5 mile run as i was travelling in morroco....would have been quicker but set off at sub 3 pace and died badly @ 18/20 miles.....ignorance was bliss until that pointimage
  • Options

5.15 (haven't bothered to remember how many seconds - a bit irrelevant after that length of time!).

Now for the excuses. It was hilly. Really hilly. Surprisingly very hilly. Did I mention the hills? Not the hilliest I'm sure, but really energy and leg strength sapping and they never stopped! Barely a flat bit on the whole run! Where I live it's really rather flat. Going up a kerb is about as tough as it gets. Still I really enjoyed it and that's what counts. And I was never really going to be bothering the leaders!

Training was suggesting somewhere round the 3.40 mark (for a flat run of course) but as yet the opportunity to test that out hasn't arisen.

• Options
    4.07 - I'd been running for a few years at that point but not long distances so was dead chuffed with that - the year after I acheived my goal of sub 4 hours - even more chuffed - doubt I'll ever acheive that again though sadly!
  • Options
    5:10:58
    I only started running 20 weeks before this when I got a ballot place in London marathon (2005).
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    5:31:12 (2010)
    Was expecting sub-5 based on 2 HM's of 2:21 and 2:18. Possibly poor pacing and nutrition? Not totally sure!! Trying Edinburgh in 5 weeks time. I'd say I'm in much better shape, running more miles but I still don't think I'll get a sub-5. I reckon some people "convert" better than others!!
  • Options

Berlin 2011, 3:58:54. Missed a month of training due to inury playing football though.Going to berlin again this year to go sub 3:15

• Options

Frankfurt 1980, 4:31

pb:  Munich 3:48:52, 1987

45 marathons completed - time for somehting else now.