Options

Mersey Tunnel 10K / 10th June

Comments

• Options

Alan , When I got to Hooton about 8:15 there were no trains running to Liverpool . Dont know when they re started . Other half had to take me in by car . Some people may not have had that option . No information given except that train broke down at Green Lane .

Enjoyed the race by the way .

• Options

Thanks for the information Kevin. I will be contacting MerseyRail about this as they made such a fuss about the 'free transport' and it's not the first time this has happened. Same thing at the Santa Dash.

There is always a call for people to use public transport but it has to be reliable in order for people to feel confident enough to use it.

• Options

I was affected by that problem. The 8 o'clock train from Chester didn't run (we were told it wasn't running at 08:02 because the train was defective) which is the train you needed to get in order to get to the race for 9:15 and the baggage busses. There were 9-10 runners at the station and 8 of us had to club in for a couple of black cabs to Liverpool at £40 a pop.

Very poor show from Merseyrail. 

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Another very good Run Liverpool event for me, first time running through one of the tunnels (I've previously cycled the other tunnel on Liverpool > Chester > Liverpool).

It was warm but far from cooking on the prom' (it was 25+ for the Nantwich Tri' a couple of weeks, now that was warm).

We saw three runners down on the prom, the paramedics were already with one - hope they all made it home.

• Options

Chris5B - I had instruction from British Red Cross after the race about serious injury or illness so I suspect all was O.K. with the runners you saw.

• Options

First time ive run this and enjoyed it. The Tunnel was harder than they made out it was, i was running my fastest ever down it but then when it started climbing i was struggling a little. I did get my fastest 5k time of 22:30 it was warm when running the Prom and finished with a time of 46:12. Nice medal and t-shirt also.

• Options

Willow... even paced running is the answer...

• Options

Alan is right willow.

If you were running your fastest ever down hill at 2-3k of a 10k... then you're going to suffer at 6-10k. Its not pleasant when you really blow out. Even pace or taking it a little easier on the first 4 k is better.

I ran 21:16/ 20:45 as 5k splits, so a negative split.

Alan, Think some of the Kilometre signs weren't exactly on the mark , I got 0.57, 0.57, 0.69m for some doing manual laps around 6-8 ish.. the 0.69 mile at 8 was certainly over the mark by a good distance?

• Options

Somone told me to try and run at consistent effort rather than consistent pace, makes sense to me as you're always going to run faster downhill than uphill.

I tried to take that advice yesterday but did go a little too fast over the first couple of miles and struggled a bit but not hugely towards the end. 

• Options

Alan when will there be any pictures available for this?

• Options

General pictures taken by our photographer will be posted on the web site Gallery section as soon as I receive them. They are general and not specifically of runners.

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Chris5B - I had instruction from British Red Cross after the race about serious injury or illness so I suspect all was O.K. with the runners you saw.

That's good to know - thanks Alan.

Oh, and loved the unofficial water station on Birkenhead Road.  A couple of young kids had a few bottles of water to give out and the cafe was filling cups of water as fast as they could.

• Options

So the spirit of Human Kindness is alive and well on Birkenhead Road!! Brilliant.

• Options

Alan - still not running, so still never done this race, but just read back to start of this thread, and the question about the 'old' tunnel.

I ran through the Queensway tunnel in the mid-90's - probably 94 for the 60th anniversary of opening. Started on St John's Lane up to Lime St, down William Brown St and into tunnel. Can't remember much about route thru Birkenhead apart from sharp left exit from tunnel, down onto prom, and long drag to finish at New Brighton.

May be back running before end of year, so see you in December image

• Options

Thanks for the response Alan and it was what I suspected. It won't put me off doing Run Liverpool events again. Thinking about the Santa Dash to help you get that world record backimage.

• Options

Well organised event, loved the teeshirt! Bit disappointed that the water station at 7k ran out of water. We stopped briefly whilst they looked for water. We gave up in the end. My girlfriend was disappointed that there were no small teeshirts left when we finished. However on the whole we had a lovely day.

I'm saving my complaints for Mersey rail. I did this race a few years ago and my abiding memory was of being packed in like sardines on one of the infrequent trains so I was prepared for the same again. However they managed to top that this year. We went for the the 8.46 from St Michaels which should have got us to Moorfields just before 9. After advising us to get a daysaver the man at the station informed us that there were no trains but we could get the replacement bus service in Aigburth Rd.

The bus arrived 10mins late and, despite us waving furiously, flew past without stopping, the driver staring resolutely ahead, determined not to see us! We finally managed to get black cabs and got to the baggage bus with 2 mins to spare. Congratulations Merseyrail you excelled yourselves!

Alan, can you tell me why the baggage busses leave at 9.15, particularly when the shortcomings of Merseyrail in terms of getting runners to the start are well documented on this site?

• Options

Oh almost forgot, a big thanks to the kids on Birkenhead Road and the cafe!

• Options
    Alan,

I waited and got the train and it arrived at moorfields at 9:15 so missed the baggage bus. Luckily had thought this might b the case so left my stuff in the car. I arrived at the race about 7.28 but had to use the 'facilities' I thought merseyrail woulda got a Message to you. 10 min delay could have made all the difference for a lot of effected people.

No complaints with the race though was great. Enjoyed it. I think I panicked and went out a bit hard when shoulda tried to come in harder. Ah well always

next time.

Warrington 10k next for me.
  • Options

Forgot big bonus of the day £3 to park all day on the NCP carpark on Pall Mall. 2 mins to the start and 5 mins from Moorfields at the end. Got a bit of a shock though walking down the steps to an empty road after the last few years to it being packed with runners. Hadn't checked the route and didn't realise the start had been moved.image

Did read the bit about having to pay to use MersyRail though.

• Options

Hi all, I agree with most comments above, I also had a dilemma when there was a rail replacement bus from Sandhills to Moorfields coming from North Liverpool - so decided to drive into town save any delays. Does Merseytravel have some sort of vendetta against events that bring people to this great city or do they just dislike runners ?

Besides that, the morning was beautiful and the event was organised well, I'm sure Alan & the team will root cause the main issues brought up in this thread and smooth out for future events where possible. Well done 'Run Liverpool' team !

• Options

Karl - no ifdea why your girlfriend didn't get a small T shirt. I brought a small quanitity back to the office. If sh wishes to swap then please call in to the event office.

Karl - the baggage buses leave before the event in order to guarantee the safe arrival at the finish. Can't you just hear the complaints when everyone arrives at the finish and no baggage!!

I have no comment to make about local transport as we need the use of the Tunnel for this event. It would be within the remit of MerseyTravel to deny the use of either tunnel for this event or the marathon should make any kind of unhelpful comments I'm afraid. I shall leave that to you.

Suffice to say discussion about road use in the city has been a considerable drain on my time in respect of planning the improvements to the marathon but hopefully these are now resolved and we can put a positive spin on arrangements from hereonin.

• Options
    Never mind all these trivial issues. Can you get merseytravel to reduce the gradient of the hill out of the tunnel? That would b a great help?????
  • Options

Luke - two things, why is it that no-one ever comments on going INTO the Tunnel (?) and secondly, there are some strange people out ther who LIKE the second half of the Tunnel. Strange but trueimage.

• Options
    I don't mind the hill by all down hill would be great! Haha
  • Options

Just a quick note to say what a fabulous race on Sunday. The tunnel 10k got me back into running/racing 3 years ago (so will always be a bit sentimental for me).  This was my 3rd year doing this race.  Last year I desperately tried to get under the illusive 1hr (missed it with 1hr 2 mins) and even had my pal trying to pace me (although the "sideways rain" was bizarre weather last year !!).  This year (my pal on hols) I had to do it on my own, but was chufffed with my PB of 55.46 !! The tunnel is such a challange and so very interesting to run in !! I have obviously 'come-on-a-bit' in last 3 years and ran the Liverpool marathon last October (although v slow time of over 5hrs, was still an achievement).  You really cant beat the Liverpool skyline, people's support and general atmosphere when running in this very fine city.  Well done and much thanks to organisers. image

• Options
    Lowton, that equates to more like a marathon time of 4:20-4:30 now.

Has your half time improved also? 2:00-2:05?

I really enjoyed the race, tunnel is fine, far worse road inclines to run, if anything I think there may be a catapult effect on your speed if you can keep the effort going.

Seems to be lots with PBs I notice.
  • Options

What caught me out was going too fast previous to the incline. Next year i'll be calming my sh*t down over the first couple of KMs.image

• Options

I travelled up from London for what was a fantastic run with my family. First time in Liverpool, and a great way to see the Mersey. Taking the ferry back was also stress free and my whole family enjoyed this. The only surprising thing about the start was that there were no target time signs at the line up for start (unless I missed them), so I was bumping into lots of slow runners who started in front. Otherwise great run and I'll be doing this one again.

• Options

I was behind 4 ladies running together who nearly got flattened in the starting stampede. I was nearish the front and could tell they'd picked the wrong place to start, they were all make up, Ipods and fashion sunglasses etc so I made sure I was off to the side of them when the gun went. All I could hear behind me was shrieks and "sorry"s as people went flying past them!

• Options

Smashed the PB on this one. Thought the tunnel would be more difficult due to heat, incline and fumes but it was actually ok (except for the hill outside the tunnel where you come back on yourself). I did get caught out at the end when I kicked for home overtaking a number of people with the finish line in view......then I ran past the 9km marker. A little embarrassing when all the people you passed minutes earlier then pass you! Happy with 52 minutes and the glow in the dark t shirt + fat medal.