Options

ITBS - advice please

2»

Comments

• Options

Oh and I forgot to mention the monster foam rolling sessions! How can it be so hard to just run...

• Options
    Thats what I need to get my head around - the slow process...

I should be happy it's so easily correctable - and that I don't have other issues such as tilted pelvis...

Oh and congrats on the torch bearing sorry to hijack this thread!
  • Options
    And yes it has increased the range of motion...
  • Options
    Yeah Steven, my physio-advised plan of action is exactly the same and I was doing it all with gusto to no avail, but I reckon when I've rested my knee for a couple of months everything might kick in. Chin up, old bean!
  • Options

Hi,

Too much too soon and now paying the price!

Physio sessions seemed to pay off and rested for a couple of weeks, crosstrained, stretch, roller. Didn't run too much except a couple of days I didn't listen to my body. I'd been so good at stopping before any niggle, had run short runs only and not run 2 days in a row... then I ran too far and 2 days in a a row and yes now I feel I'm back to square one. So now I'm having a break from running for 3 weeks at least. Dusting down my bike and picturing cycle rides in the summer evenings... I might just stay sane that way!!

So advice is, build up slowly and carefully.

Anyone know why this came on so suddenly? And why my left leg when every single other ailment has been to my right!?

Might try the accupuncture... does it make much of a difference?

Charley

• Options
    Hi Charley,

Might be worth trying acupuncture to reduce symptoms but it's unlikely to address the cause.

What did the Physio think had caused it and do you have a strengthening programme??

Tom
  • Options

Hi Tom,

Gait analysis showed that the shoes I wear (asics gel 1160, have had them from 1120, with no problems) should be ok for my gait. Had a strange thing that a diff colour of asics 1160 felt too small and caused me blisters, which meant I ran differently to avoid the blisters. The blisters may also have been caused by hot feet since I ran the London Marathon in a furry costume wearing fur over the same 1160 shoes. Subseqently, I rolled out more to avoid the blisters on runs. We guess this was it but don't know for sure. Shoes demoted to 'gym, no running' now!!! 

Have been doing strengething excercies, especially for glutes. The physio gave me a few (including 'the clam'), and I got some more as well, which I've been doing every other day. Contrary to my profile picture, I have quite muscely legs, especially thighs, but a puny core and upper body so am taking the opportunity to redress the balance whilst I'm off running. Haven't got great glute muscles either. Perhaps this all meant I'm a bit unbalanced and added to the problem? :-/

Charley

• Options
    Sounds like you're doing the right things.

Glute weakness is a common cause for ITB issues. Research has shown weaker glutes on the side of the ITB problem in runners and that strengthening glutes improves symptoms.

What happens is that as glutes are weak a muscle called TFL tends to work harder and place greater stress on the ITB. Also the hip tends to adduct and turn in slightly during impact which also places a high load on the ITB.

Loads of info on glutes rehab here;

http://runningphysio.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/gluteus-medius-strengthening/
  • Options

It took me about 3 months to return from ITB, after a few weeks total rest was doing 5k 2-3 times a week, then slowly returned up to 10 miles. Also had various knee issues on the other side diagnosed as possible tendonititis. Been doing Pilates since Xmas and unless it's a massive co-incidence I've had no major problems since, despite major increases to speed and stamina/endurance.

Probably not for everyone, but seems to have worked well for me!

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Just ran my first 26.2 race without a single twinge from the ITB. I have followed all the rehab exercises provided by my PT religiously and have been delighted with the affect.

Incidentally, I had an incredibly tight calf for the week prior to the race. Tried all the usual things to loosen it up with no affect. I then had some Dry Needling on the calf and the relief was instantneous - I have tosay I was sceptical before hand
  • Options

Hi,

Just wanted to update, too many posts leave you wondering, did anythying work? Are they cured now? What helped? So here is the good news!

The long and the short of it is that I rollered, stretched and had physio which didn't really help but I should have stopped running before it got so bad so my own fault. Then I had 6 sessions of acupuncture via NHS (would never have tried it but that was what the physio did so I went along with it and hey presto it worked! Eased back into it gradually via boring treadmill. Took about 6 months but then I was ok!

Next time I got ITBS (yes, unlucky, other knee) I immediately eased off, got electroacupuncture (4 sessions, 1 a week) and then eased back into running, stopping running at the first twinge. I didn't need to take a break from running and it took about 2 months to get back to normal so that's good. Roller and stretch a lot now which I think also helps. And eat salmon (whether or not that helps I don't know but some people reckon it does).

Yes all great, so there is hope to all you ITB sufferers.

Just don't mention the foot now :- Such is the life of a runner