Options

I get to 10 weeks in marathon training then get bored

I have completed 2 marathons now Edinburgh in 2010 and Sydney in 2011, I've set out with a training plan lasting between 20 and 26 weeks and all is well until about week 10 when I don't know why I lose interest skip runs, eat too much of the wrong things then panic with about 8-6 weeks left try to get back into training and feel under trained for the marathon, I went through half way in both under 2 hours but staggered in over 5 although I was ill in the second half of Sydney and should have stopped but I was so desperate to finish.

Q) How do you get through your mid programme blues and how do you stay on the wagon with food?

Cheers for any advice image

Comments

• Options

Maybe try a 12-16 week program?

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    That is a long plan. I'm on 21 week plan, but thats because I had a zero running base to start with. 12 to 16 week plan should be ok if you maintain some running

Why not build in some milestone races into your plan so that you have something to motivate your self with. A couple of half marathons would keep you sharp. Set a tough but realistic target, e.g finish in sub 1:50.

Ths will help your marathon goal and keep you focused on running and not food.
  • Options

Why are you trying to run marathons when it seems your not mentally able to deal with the training? You say you dont know why you lose interest. Its obvious. You want to run marathons but are not actually interested enough in running marathons.

You are aware no one is watching?image You can run 5k 10k HM.

Its true you wont get the the same wow look on peoples faces when you tell them that you run these distance but, well thats something you will have to deal with.

Much better than suffering trying to do something your hearts not in to.

• Options

I agree with Also Ran, a few half marathons in the middle of the schelule can give you something more immediate to focus on. As for the food, if I'm running 70 miles a week I can eat pretty much what I want!!image

• Options

I am with Stephen on this one,the halfway point in my training plan when you are getting up to 13,14,15 miles with ease are the most rewarding part of the whole Marathon experience.Telling your work mates / wife/ friends that you went out for a LSR on sunday and added an extra mile and felt good and even fancied going a little further ...image..not sure if my work mates wife and friends  love my training stories image

Have you tried breaking up your routine,go on your LSR in the evening (keep your weekends free) go to Park run on a saturday morning for speed work,a bit of off road running,join a running club or get a mate to run with you.The list is endless but you need to decide if the distance is for you and as you have done a couple you still have bragging rights image

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I think a lot of people focus on the object of running the marathon, and not the process of getting there. I've enjoyed the training:

- Developing the long rugs - I literally feel physically stronger towards the end of the long run. What a great feeling to run 22 miles and feel good. Motivational - yes.

- Developing an 8 mile tempo run at 85% WHR, and seeing my pace improve over the weeks (well apart from yesterday, but hiccups occur!)

- Seeing the 5 x 1600m interval times improving on the track

- Running my first half marathons and getting a 1:28

- Enjoying the easy runs in all weathers

Running a set of 10 x Yasso 800's now an again to see what sort of shape  I may be in on race day.

Running is simply a fantastic pastime regardless of the end race. If you don't enjoy getting there, then at the root of it, maybe you just don't enjoy running. I love it.