Options

Comrades 2013

Comments

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

I'm off to the airport guys, all packed and ready to go. Have my shoes in my hand baggage for fear of them going missing! See some of you on Thursday at the Hillton.

• Options

Fido2Dogs - your 'if' looks like some valuable information, but either I don't understand it, or it's not complete - could you please elaborate?

• Options

Anyway, we all came back via Buxton had some chips and became embroiled in the Bank Holiday traffic.   www,d2ride.co.uk

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Fido - hello! And Slot, well we've caught up on email!

I heard a scary rumour tonight, which i am hoping is just scaremongering, but given the heatwave in SA at the moment, apparently in the past in similar temps, they've called off the race at the last moment! Can you imagine how hideous that would be! I'm hoping it is just someone being dramatic...and it's all out of our control, but just wondered if anyone had any experience/heard anything??
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Carmen - I'd take that with a pinch of salt. It was ferociously hot in 2008 and it went ahead as normal.  The only years that Comrades hasn't been run since it started in 1921 were 1941-1945 (which means that it was run during WWII in 1940!) . So unlikely that a bit of heat would halt the race...

I think what Fido meant to say was:

If (kms-to-go x 10) + (time now) is less than 11 hours (or any other target time), you can walk all the way and still make it.

I tried using the less than sign and it made everything beyond it go blank...so tried typing it out in words this time... it seems to have worked...

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Yep it's my crazy old aunty getting mixed up with something else i think! Sorry if i worried anyone- just ignore that message!
  • Options

HELP !! I need to find some SA plug adaptors today....anyone know where I can get some on the High Street or will they have them at the airport ??

Jeez....what a daft thing to worry about ! image

• Options

Airport. LHR sells them in packs of 2.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Airport - or buy them in SA!
  • Options

Lovely and thanks. I have managed to track down that is the best way to get some....phew....I need my hair straighteners.  image

• Options

Good luck everyone, I'll be glued to the laptop on Sunday morning watching the results come through. I hope you all have a great race.

Can't wait to see what you do Warren, finally you seem to have made it to the start line injury free and healthy.

• Options

Impressive 5k pace Warren - clearly I won't be seeing much of you on the day !

• Options

Possum Hopper - you can get SA adapters at LHR - look around, Boots or WHSmith sell them for 9.99 each - but I saw some for 4.99 at another store - after we bought at the more expensive place!

• Options

I've been out for a short 30-minuter in Camps Bay, Cape Town this afternoon after a short hike round Cape Point which was *fabulous*.  Loving this country so far.  It'll all get real when I fly to Durban on Thursday. 

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the expo Friday. I'm going to try and get there Thursday evening actually and then the Intl/ drinks but will retread the expo after the route tour..

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

SD is right of course. There is probably online streaming of dubious reliability somewhere. 

• Options

Just wanted to wish you all a really great run.  I set off Thursday, arrive Friday morning.  Hoping to get to the expo early then back to the hotel where there is a nearby bakery with a café that I intend to park my bum in for the rest of the afternoon! Bus tour Saturday and then that's it...D-Day!  Ooooh, lets hope we all go well.  Looking forward to meeting up with some of you on the bus tour and maybe for lunch on Monday.  Safe journey.  Row image

• Options

Race day is going to be like running in Dubai (in the winter)

Forcast is 18oC at 5:30am then up to 29oC at 11am around Durban, 28oC at the finish line around 2pm and drops to 20oC at cut off 5:30pm 

Going to be some red sholders, arms & faces out there.

• Options

Thanks Stevie. I'm feeling pretty good about this year. Just a few more days to get through without picking up anything, but one of my kids is as sick as a dog! Really hoping to put together a good performance on Sunday, but if it's not to be on the day I will hopefully be able to settle for a silver seeing as it my first proper go at the up run in race conditions. I have seen some wildly optimistic calculators online, none more so than Coach Norrie's.

http://calculator.coachnorrie.co.za/comradescalc.asp

I put in some numbers and it gave me a 6:16 predicted best time!!!

• Options

Morning lovely people, just popping in.  Been in Durban since Monday night.  Raining yesterday which was actually quite nice.  Went for a trot to stretch the legs but a chronic sore throat meant it didn't feel so good on the chest.  Packing in the Berrocca, Strepsils and the like in the hope it disappears.   Otherwise the atmosphere is already great here.  People are so nice you can't sit down for five minutes without someone talking to you about the race/ telling you where they'll be on the course or even inviting you for dinner.  The best advice seems to be to chill and soak up the atmosphere best you can.....

Oh and hi Andy.  See you tomorrow.  The guest house is fantastic and in a great location!!  The guys couldn't be more helpful (plus they have adaptors!)

Oh and another 'finally', and apologies as I've not really kept up with the forums having been away a lot, I believe there's an unofficial 'meet' friday around 2 at the expo?

• Options

Hi everyone - o.k....last 5 miler run done along Littlehampton seafront. Now just finishing packing and stressing my man out as I am always so late in packing....and off to Heathrow at 2.30. Looking forward to meeting lots of you at International drinks tomoz evening.

Thanks for the info re the plugs.......

Have a safe journey everyone.  image

• Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Greetings from Durbanimage  Also been here since Monday night H and kicking my heels until the expo opens/

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Flying out tonight too- maybe see you PH though I developed a sudden hideous cold last night, so maybe keep your distance! Am hoping it burns out in some SA heat! ( plssss!)

See some of you somewhere!
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Off to Birmingham airport this afternoon. Did my last UK run, 3 gentle miles, this morning without mishap. 

See you at Dubai airport Martin. 

Safe journeys everyone. Hope the cold is gone soon Carmen. 

• Options

Found  inspiration for my motto on my other arm (when being harassed by a (playful) canines claws on my final run) - "Its's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog".

Also, one brave lady is doing a double comrades this year, so one should be ok image

http://comrades.runnersworld.co.za/mission-possible-run-the-comrades-twice/

See you all in Durban.

• Options

Warren - That is optimistic, I'd settle for a 6:20 if I was you. image

A friend of a friend is also doing Comrades this year, dressed as a Rhino, in the huge suit that the Save the Rhino's people run in at London. I don't envy him if it's hot.

• Options

Its time to see you all in Durbanimage or Dubaiimage

• Options

Anyone already in Durban heard any news/info about this bergwind that is forecast for Sunday?

Safe travels everyone.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Waiting to board. Seems quite so far, only spotted a 3/4 poss runners!
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Is everyone/ anyone doing international drinks tomorrow?