Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    morning all. Nice and sunny in Leeds,

what : swim am and gentle run pm
    why : day 2 of running since 5 week layoff from sprained ankle
    last hard : oh, weeks ago
    last rest : weeks

Need to work the milage up gently as ankle still slightly sore. Last night's short run didn't cause any swelling so i'll keep going. 10weeks to Dublin!!!

Happy Running.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Morning

18 mile bike - did a climb 3 times.
  • Options
    Morning

What: 5 miles easy tonight. That's all.

Why: 18 miles @ marathon pace attempt tomorrow

Last Hard: Sunday

Last rest: Friday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

What:10 miles at steady pace, might try the last 5 at marathon pace
    Why:marathon training
    Last hard:last night
    Last rest:Sat
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 8 miles jog done - another one later this afternoon.

Why: Weight loss & aerobic base building

Couple of days off work (meant to be decorating) - I think I'll find something to do in the garden instead.
  • Options
    Good morning.

Bit cooler today. Was only 10 degrees when I went out first thing, and I actually felt cold. Did a gentle but hilly 9 miler which was fab. It may have been cold, but the sun is out, and there's not a cloud in the sky. The Lincolnshire Wolds looked beautiful.

Am having motivational problems at the moment, so I needed a run like this.

Enjoy yourselves.
  • Options
    Hi all!

What: 4miles. Recovery run.

Felt vile starting, belly ache and ground bouncing about drunkenly. Resolved at least to get to the fens.

Thought: what can the purpose of recovery runs be.

Stretched. OK go for the 3 mile loop, go-forever pace (something slower than a jog). Judging from the number of things I ran into, not only was I not seeing straight, I was simply not seeing.

After 2 miles my feet started working, and I realized I was no longer in go-forever mode.

At least recovery runs prevent the psychological damage of another goose egg in the training log.

My feet turned right, where the 4mile loop forks off from the 3 mile. By the time I reached one of my favourite interval stretches, legs were working well, and other complaints had subsided. I pushed it.

The homestretch, Lizzie's stretch, I pounded up it, giving it my all, just for Lizzie, as is the custom. If my all was slightly less than my all time best, it was only slightly. And there was still kick in the legs for a jog or two during cool down.

Ah. So that is what the recovery run is for.
  • Options
    Morning everyone.

What: am 4 miles @ 10k pace done, pm nothing
    Why: 12 miles long slow run tomorrow
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Tuesday

Quite pleased with this mornings run which was quite easy, given that last nights spinning session was brutal!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Stickless. You're posts always make interesting reading!
  • Options
    Glad you had a better run Squirrel.

What: 7 mile tempo, 6 @ 1/2m pace.
    Why: staple 1/2m/marathon training session.
    Mindful of Langdale 1/2 and marathon, got a new route including 1 mile long uphill for tempo running.
    Last hard: Mon, though pretty tired after last night's swim too.
    Last rest: Fri

Gorgeous day here as well. 14yr old's birthday, we gave her a new stereo system, plus Nirvana tabs for her bass guitar, probably unwisely! What did you say about those ear plugs Hilly?
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Good luck tomorrow BR and DCD with your 18 mile mp run. Forecast looks good with anticipated temperature at 9 am of 15 degrees C.

today's schedule:

What: am - 35 minute recovery run, pm - 4 x 1 mile @ 5k pace
    Why: Part of marathon schedule
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    After 3 days enforced rest to allow painful right calf to settle down: -

What: 12 miles hilly @ steady 7:15 per mile pace maintaining 80% of MWHR throughout - managed to run through a few annoying niggles (troublesome right calf is still a worry and now I have pain in both inner thighs)

Why: 35 mile ultra-marathon in 10 days time

Last hard: 7 days ago (7 miles hilly at 10K pace - getting up to 90% of MWHR on hills)

Next run: planning 2 x 6 mile loop tonight, may run a third loop if right calf settles down.

• Options
    Morning All

What: 5 Miles steady
    Why: Schedule Says So

Last Rest: Monday
    Last Hard: Tuesday

Happy Running All!!!!
  • Options
    morning all

well done last night Hilly. Yes I know it hurts (quite a lot) more, but it's over quicker! Personally, I prefer it that way to the more attritional experience of racing over longer distances.

Great fighting effort this morning Stickless.

what: nothing, almost certainly

why: tend to rest on Thursdays at the moment with cricket nets on.
    In any case, having woken up in the night with cramp in top of calf, don't want to do anything too energetic on it - can still feel it now.

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Sat

speedy session planned for tomorrow - will be looking to give it some hammer
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd drop in again...
    Been hectic at home and got a bit behind with my OU work (and this is just the first year....) so running has taken a back seat.
    Since the Oxfam Trailwalker my exercise has consistsed of three races :
    Crowthorne MT 5.2 miler (3rd&last in series): 37:45 best time of the 3 and good enough for 21st.
    Milland Valley Trail race (MT) : 1:47:38 (including the 'wrong turn' detour!)
    Yateley 10k (race 3): been suffering with heacy cold so took it steadier : 40:42, still pleased though!.
    In between that I've got to the gym twice.
    Not a lot in three weeks, with the New Forest marathon only 5 weeks on Sunday (zoiks!)

Got the OU TMA out yesterday so celebrated with a moderate 8 miler (57:40), and will do some hills and fartlek tomorrow/Saturday
    before the Burnham Beeches half (another race!) on Sunday.

Oh and the missus says I run too much, she should meet so of you guys!

Have a nice day :D
  • Options
    Morning all!

Well done Hilly - fab time.

Sounds like some good racing there, Dustin

What: Easy 3 miler this morning, then running club tonight, then swimming with Mr B afterwards.
    Why: Need to get my mileage back up again - not done more than 32 miles in a week since marathon seven weeks ago.
    Last hard: Tempo reps yesterday. Felt like I was really flying
    Last rest: Sunday

... should now do some work, but am just going to translate details of a forthcoming fell race first - 15km and 700m ascent - sounds like just my sort of thing ....
  • Options
    Morning everybody

Well done Hilly

What: 12 miler at marathon pace including 2 large hills.
    Why: mileage build up

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Morning (just)
    What: Last of the 4 Worcestershire mid-week 10k's. Came overall 4th Senior which I was pleased with. Still can't keep up with my creatine fuelled club mate though.

Nothing tonight and might have a slow run tomorrow, racing the train on Saturday, choo choo.
  • Options
    Hilly, brilliant going last night, you were flying.

Well, really can't decide what to do today. Have a 15M with 7M @ 1/2MP in the schedule and then a day off. But it turns out that the final Notts AAA Summer League race is tomorrow night and if we don't get a team of 6 out we'll mess everything up and not get our 3rd place in the Senior men category for the series. So I really ought to go and do that, in which case I'll not do the 15M today, but either take a day off today and run 8M easy tomorrow a.m., then race ~5M tomorrow evening, which with a 1M warm-up, cool-down jog would give me the same overall mileage, or else do an easy 8M this evening, then race tomorrow evening, but then I don't get a day off till the following Friday and to be perfectly honest, I'm feeling a little worn, and have a bit of a niggle in the upper lateral side of my left calf......how about that as a contender for the banal rant award???

;-)
  • Options
    I never really understood the idea of a 'recovery' run until now. I was supposed to rest yesterday and didn't so expected the legs to feel a bit naff today but they're not! They feel fine! Surprised myself.

What: gym
    why: because I can
    last hard: Monday
    last easy: Tuesday

Back later with report - am going to try for 20mins again on the treaddie
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for well dones!

Mike-I agree the pain doesn't last long and afterwards I felt really good. The speed everyone goes off at though and many of them can't maintain it! I'd have to do a few more at that distance to get used to the fast starts!

MM-take a rest day today and do what you planned for tomorrow. Good luck with the race!

Matt the Brum-excellent placing, well done!

Dustin-some good racing going on from you! I know what you mean about being behind in your OU studies, me too! I'm on my last TMA now with exam in Oct and I've decided that's it I'm giving it a break!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hello.

What: 5 miles, with the big hill
    Why: I need a hill today

Last rest: Yesterday
    Last hard: Tuesday
  • Options
    Hello everyone, I understand about lack of motivation FS, I have been a bit grumpy myself since that crap triathlon on Sunday, so have not done anything yeaterday.
    Today however...

AM- a bit of a brick session at the gym, 35 mins on bike then jumped straight onto treadmill for 2 miles in 13 mins, stretched and did all the upper body machines.

PM- In a mo I am off to reccie our leg of Leeds Country Way, so that's 10 miles if we don't go wrong. Had a massage this afternoon, a bit of a challenge for poor Janet having to avoid the scabby knees.
  • Options
    Hiya all.

What: 3 miles ( 20.59 ) so 7 min miles, pleased with that as what was to follow.

5 miles inc intence hill reps ( 130 metres measured with GPS ) and very steep on grass.

Run to park 12.04

Hill 1 = 35.8 secs HR max 164bpm
    Recovery 44,4 secs
    Hill 2 = 32.8 secs HR max 177bpm
    Recovery 47.1 secs
    Hill 3 = 30.3 secs HR max 179 bpm
    Recovery 48.6 secs
    Hill 4 = 30.0 secs HR max 181 bpm
    Recovery 47.2 secs
    Hill 5 = 29.9 secs HR max 183 bpm
    Recovery 49.0 secs
    Hill 6 = 30.8 secs HR max 182 bpm
    Recovery 48.7 secs
    Hill 7 = 30.3 secs HR max 184 bpm
    Recovery 46.5 secs
    Hill 8 = 29.4 secs HR max 183 bpm
    Recovery 46.1 secs
    Hill 9 = 28.3 secs HR max 188 bpm Felt sick
    Recovery 51.0 secs
    Hill 10 26.5 secs HR max 190 bpm Felt sicker
    Recovery 54.0 secs

Run home 13.33

Realised that on the first 2 attempts I wasnt pushing it, so upped the pace, just a case of sprinting up and using the down as recovery period, very hard and along time since hill reps have been done so very pleased, and in the heat too!!!!

Why: Marathon training

Last Hard: Today

Last Rest: Saturday

• Options
    Evening all

Managed the following all at between 60-70% max HR.

30 mins cycling - 12.5Km
    30 mins rowing - 5.5Km
    20 mins running - 2.5Km
    20 mins swimming

Had a good day in all.

Cath
  • Options
    Good session Speedie, do you use Beckenham Place Park? some great hills there.

BR, your in AW this week, but some impostor has his name where it should read "Barnsley Runner" :)

It's still hot here but with a nice cool breaze making it nice for running in the shade.
  • Options
    What: 1hr Swimming alternating 3 breaststroke 1 crawl where possible, frequent rests as not a good swimmer of crawl.
    Why: felt like a swim

I would like to improve my crawl but get very tight chested quickly - I can swim breast stroke and keep it going for upto 500m no probs, but it is a real struggle to do 50m crawl. I guess it is all about practice.

:o)