Options

Holiday Training Suggestions Please

Hi Guys...

I'm off to Italy - Campagnia region, more specifically Sorrento near Mount Vesuvius (taking in Pompeii, Amalfii etc).

The hotel has what looks like a reasonable sized pool and so I'll be doing some swimming. The region I'm led to believe is VERY hilly, which I'm not really used to.

So I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for training whilst I'm away...? I don't want to just stop for a week. I thought I might swim every day and maybe have one or two runs on alternate 2 days... by which time, it'll be time to come home anyway!

Also if anyone has been to the area - any hints as to what it is like for running...?

Thanks guys

Cath

Comments

• Options
    Oops meant to say am going 29th August - so it will still be fairly hot there too.
  • Options
    Cath, just run for half an hour early in the morning to avoid the heat. It's a great way to explore a place.

Don't worry about the hills they'll be tough but just shorten your runs accordingly. You don't need to flog yourself - you're on holiday after all.
  • Options
    Tom - half an hour..?! I'm only back upto 15-20 mins as it is... so I'll see, maybe I'll just run the 15 minutes but over a shorter distance if there are hills involved. Thankies Tom!
  • Options
    Cath
    you could do Run/walk up the hills, then you can still do 30 mins
  • Options
    Just returned from Cyprus - found it more comfortable to run in the evenings just as the sun was about to set - usually had a bit of a breeze blowing at that time of day. Early mornings were too warm - full sun and no breeze.

I would decide how long I wanted to run for - e.g. for a half hour run I would do a 15 minute "out and back" maintaining equal effort throughout. If this involved walking on some of the hills then so be it.

Enjoy your holiday.