Options

Marathon: Yay or nay?

I have an entry for the Loch Ness marathon in 6 weeks time. Until about 2 weeks ago I managed to follow RW's sub 3:30 schedule quite closely although I couldn't always find enough time for the long runs on Sundays. I usually do 25-30 miles a week and I've upped my average training time to about 50-55 mins. However the longest continuous run has only been around 1hr 40.

For the last fortnight I've been working in the middle east where it is so hot I can't train for more than about 20mins at a time (even at midnight!) Yes there's a gym, but the treadmill's knackered and the only decent piece of kit is the stair-climber. My mileage has therefore been minimal since I've been here. To make things worse, I'm due for another week out here in about a fortnight.

What I'd like to know is, is it still realistic to have a go at the marathon, and if so, how late can I leave my last long run (ie the 20 miler)? Other factors you may wish to consider: I'm male, 33, relatively injury-free, capable of a 1:35 half, and this would be my first crack at the full 26.2

Any advice would be much appreciated. Ta!

Comments

• Options
    You will get round, no problem
    Depends on how boythered you are about the time
    i wouldnt do a long run within 2 weeks of the marathons, you might get away doing it 3 weeks before
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. You've still got 3 weeks hard training if I were you I'd try and get 2 long runs in (2 hours minimum - preferably 2 and a half) - maybe one of them when you get back from the middle east again (will that be about 3 weeks from the race?). Then go out relatively easy and play it by ear.
  • Options
    If you can get 2 decent long runs in then give it a crack. You should get round.

It depends if you want to just finish a marathon or get a time you can be pleased with (looking at sub 3:30 based on your half marathon time).

I'd hate to go into a marathon undertrained. How would you feel postponing until you can find the time to get in the training you need?

Agree with hippo, these long runs need doing no nearer than 3 weeks before race day.

Good luck
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    If it were me I'd wait and do one later when I was able to do more consistent training.

However, I'm sure you'll make it round, it's just down to what you want to achieve from it.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    If you do decide to do it then be prepared to take a long rest afterwards, maybe 6 or 7 days. Because you haven't done many long runs your legs will be pretty sore.

Personally I would treat it as a training run with no specific finishing time in mind. Start off as slow as you can and have fun.
  • Options
    I didnt train properly for my first
    and didnt do enough long runs for my second
    you suffer
    but i finished both
  • Options
    First of all, thanks to all of you who have taken the time to pitch in with your advice.

I’ve decided that I WILL do the marathon...

... next year. I’d want to do more than just get round, and I think if I didn’t achieve my originl target time, I’d be pretty disappointed even allowing for the training I’ve missed. I think it’s best that I postpone because I don’t fancy going into the race with any doubts that I might not be ready. I’m also wary of doing too much too soon when I get back home, and I don’t want to risk any injuries.

It’s disappointing to have to drop out, as I’ve really been looking forward to it. On the positive side, if I continue training as I’d been doing between mid-June and the beginning of August, then I should be in much better shape for the other races I have planned. Perhaps I can still take part by volunteering to help out on the day...

Now that I think about it, I could hardly have picked a worse time to enter a marathon, given that I’ve had to fit RW’s 16-week plan around planning a wedding, getting married, going on honeymoon, working abroad, and house-hunting (still on-going). Next year should be much less hectic!

Once again, I really appreciate the advice, and to those of you who said go for it, thanks for the vote of confidence!
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Good call but why wait for next year. Why not build on the training you've alrady got in and have a go at one a couple of months later - should be be to get your target
  • Options
    Sensible decisom PJ

I didnt do that
    I still dont
    But ill never be fast
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Agree a sensible decision PJ, especially with all the busy things going on in your life.

I too like to know I'm going into a marathon at least having done the training. If I then don't achieve what I set out for, the one thing I couldn't blame it on is preparation.

Anyway, good luck in your other races and the marathon when you do it!
  • Options
    just to mix it up a bit - I agree with the person who suggested not wasting the training and maybe entering another marathon sooner than next year. Although your time aspirations are quicker than mine I was doing similar mileage to you, (though am F, age 30) and was injury free before my first marathon this year when yep sods law I picked up an injury and was unable to run for 5 weeks beforehand I used the cross trainer intensively and still had a fantastic run.