what : rest, or possibly light swim
    why : need one
    last hard : weds
    last rest : saturday

Enjoy the weekend
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 9 mile jog done.
    Might try to squeeze another one in before flying to Paris this afternoon.

Have a good day everyone
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What:23 mile two lap run
    why:miles are because I've got a wedding this weekend so won't be able to get out and the 2 laps are because Cardiff is w laps.
    Last hard:Tues
    Last restMon
  • Options
    Morning all.

What: am: 3 miles done pm: 5 miles
    actually felt quite tired after the 3 miles, but have been up for 16hrs,and hill reps yesterday so probably sleep all day now.

Why: Pre - marathon training

Last Hard: Yesterdays Hills

Last Rest: Sunday.

Enjoy Paris TwoTon
  • Options
    what - 5m easy
    why - cos a plod is good for the soul
    last hard - yesterdays tempo
    last rest - sat

am off for two weeks hols , but next two weeks will go like this

sat - 4-6m easy
    sun - 8 x 1K , 30 sec rec 3m warm up, 3m warm down
    mon - 6M easy
    tues - 7M with 1,2,3,2,1 x 2 min int
    weds - 8m easy
    thurs- 1.5m warm up/down 10 x hills
    fri - 6m easy

then the next week will be similar apart from

tues - 7m with 90 sec intervals
    thurs - 6m with 3m tempo

hope its ok BT as you are my virtual coach now.
    have a confession about sundays race, i got a stitch cos i skipped breakfast, woke up feeling really drowsy, i have a prob with very low blood pressure sometimes and had a nose bleed as well, so BT i can run faster, hopefully at larkfield, will try a bannana smoothie in the morning if i cant swallow porridge.
  • Options
    BT, Frank Shorter??

What: Bike 20-30M if rain holds off
    Why: Left calf is definitely on the mend but still not quite right.
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day; Yesterday, meant to get out on the bike, but work got in the way, bu**er it!

;-)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Have a good running weekend folks. Am off to Wales to see the outlaws which will give me the opportunity for a nice long run somewhere new. Need a nice scenic long run to get me back into the swing of things.

What: 3-4 miles fairly easy.
    Why: Legs are back to really aching again despite two weeks' rest. I think I might need to replace my running shoes - they've clocked well over 500 miles since I bought them, and I can't think of any other explanation for the sudden leg pain when I've been perfectly OK for the last year or so.
    Last hard: Getting up the killer hill at the end of last night's run.
    Last rest: Wednesday.

Have a good bank holiday weekend folks.
  • Options
    morning everybody

what: 3miles am done, 7 mile easy pm

why: building up mileage

have a good day everybody and a nice extended weekend
  • Options
    Morning!

what: long run with some hills in the middle.

Have a great bank holiday!

Good luck to everyone racing/ training hard!
  • Options
    Morning all!!

Slow 90minute run from Kew to Putney and back along the Thames Towpath - good traffic free route.

Two Ton - I've been reading your postings with interest lately, you really are putting in the miles at the moment what is your 7 day average? Are you training for an event at the moment?
  • Options
    Morning all

what: gym - not sure what yet but you can bet it'll be worth it
    why: health & fitness regime demands it
    Last Hard: Wednesday
    Last Rest: All weekend

Back later with details
    :o)
  • Options
    Hell - was supposed to be recovering from this s0dding cold (nearly gone now) but too frustrating sitting around - too nice an evening to be in the gym so -

What: Thursday, 12 miles - started steady and after 4 miles built up to marathon pace - going well. At 9 miles sharp pain below left calf (b*gg*r!) - trotted home.

Why: To maintain leg strength and a respectable weekly mileage.

Last hard: 5 days ago.

Last rest: 2 days ago

Will take yet another day's rest and physio appointment for tomorrow.

Happy running this weekend and good luck to those who are racing.
  • Options
    Afternoon

Last night hard:
    Last night was
    100m 14.8s
    100m 15.0s
    200m 28.5s
    200m 30s
    300m 45s
    300m 48s
    400m 68s
    400m 64s

Tonight: rest and drink!
    Next: 9 miles sunday a.m.
  • Options
    Afternoon all!

What: Taking it easy - quick swim this morning, may take the bike out for a quick spin later
    Why: Fell race tomorrow. To the summit of a 1195 m peak and down again in 15km. Sounds a bit weeedy after what Laura's been doing.
    Last hard: yesterday - wasn't meant to be but managed to drop my credit card while running to the garage to pick up my car, so retraced my trcks several times on foot and bike in an effort to find it, to no avail. ended up knackered, cold, wet, and p*ss*d off!
    Last rest: Today

Doing university application form today - this autumn I may be a student again - ooh 'eck!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did my long run and it was really tough going today. I think my legs were tired from doing a 14 cycle last night.

The route was 2 laps of gentle undulations apart from 1 steep hill and I measured the route at about 11.8 miles each lap so nearer to 24 really than 23.

I did the first lap on my own in lovely drizzle and felt ok. Wasn't interested in pace, just wanted to get around and was more interested in the mental aspect of running 2 laps. Got back to my house in 1.40 and my hubby was waiting on his bike to accompany me on my second lap. By now it was really warm as from somewhere the sun had appeared! It was good having hubby come along as he could carry more drink!

Felt very tired on the second lap and when I got to the sea front I lost lots of energy having to dodge holiday makers (silly of me to choose this route, but it's the least hilly one in my area!)and traffic. Still good excuse for a short breather waiting to cross the road! Really had to dig in for the final 3 miles as I could feel my body folding in on itself with fatigue. Wasn't enjoying this last bit and felt a little negative!

Anyway I did it and finished in 3hrs 25, which is longer than I plan to run for the whole distance. Please tell me I don't need to do another one of these before Cardiff, which is in 5 weeks.

My long runs for the next few weeks are:

The Beast multi terrain race 13 miles
    Bristol 1/2m race
    long run of 20 miles plus a 5 mile and 5k race that week
    Then 2 weeks of taper

I cannot possibly fit any more real long ones in, what do you think?

I'm aiming for sub 3.26, which is my pb.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly - did't some guru say that five long (20ish mile) runs were the optimum? You must have done four now and you have another one to come.

It seems as though your training has been going really well, and you've worked so hard, so if you are really dreading another long run, don't put extra stress on your mind and body trying to fit it in - you've got plenty of quality sessions still to come.
  • Options
    Hilly - on the basis that you'll be more fired up for the actual race than for a duration run I'd say that you're likely to run the 26.2 miles in a similar time to your 24 miles - maybe quicker. I don't know how hilly the course at Cardiff is but it sounds as if your duration run was fairly undulating (with the added obstacle of dodging pedestrians). Also, as you say, you were tired when you started out on your duration run - you will have had a period of tapering prior to running the 26.2 and (hopefully) will not have had a 14 mile bike ride the day before.

I think the final few weeks prior to a marathon are a critical time - it's very important to have done sufficient hard work to give yourself the psychological benefit of not just knowing you can do the distance but that you can still push on when the going gets tough (remember how you felt on your duration run over those last 3 miles).

Important though to throttle back over the last few weeks - keep the legs strong but you're not seeking to add anything (too late when you get this stage anyway)- you've some races to do (a couple of tough ones) which will keep you sharp and a 20 miler two weeks out which if it was me would be about right.

Hope the rest of the preparations go well for you.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lizzy and Graham. I've done 5 long ones from 19 to todays 23.6 so yes I've got the required number of long ones in and I plan on doing another 20, just didn't like the idea of doing this 2 lap one again before the day! I feel fine upto 20 miles, must get over that mental bit for the final 6 miles.

This has also been my highest mileage week so far, so will have had a bearing on my lack of energy this morning.

Anyway, keep slogging only 5 weeks to go!

Happy running:o)
  • Options
    Ay-up

What : Gym - Rowing 3k and weights
    Why : Its a Friday Thing

Have A good n
  • Options
    Hello all

Aimed to do a 45 min run with 30 min at tempo pace at lunchtime. For some reason it felt really hard as soon as I went out the door, despite yesterday's rest. Couldn't get warmed up. So it became tempo intervals with 3*10mins with 2 min recoveries, at what felt like a sluggish pace. Don't know what was wrong with me, just one of those days I guess. Hope I feel better for a 16 miler at the weekend.

Hilly - sounds like a good base of endurance training to me.

Enjoy the long weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Hilly - Well done you! Sounds like you've got some quality long runs under your belt with some quality shorter training still to come. Celebrate the fact that you've got your longest (and probably most tedious) run out of the way. I agree with a lot of what Graham says.

As for me a jolly little 4 mile jog will do in an hour or so, then off to a wedding reception (so many people seem to be getting hitched just lately). This is in preparation for crunch day tomorrow when I'm planning a 16 miler after which I'll decide whether I'm running Dublin Marathon or not. I'll enjoy the little 4 miler tonight and worry about that tomorrow.

Also need to enter Robin Hood 1/2M before I go on my hols on Wed.
  • Options
    Today's thread starter was Frank Shorter well done MM.

Graham, I could not have put it better, that's much what I plan before Amsterdam.

Hilly, I ran Bristol last year & really enjoyed myself. Good running this morning in far from ideal conditions.

Howser, enjoy your holiday.

Off for my massage in a while, yippee!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for kind words again guys!

Llama Man and Skip-good luck and good running with your respective 16 milers this weekend!

BT-hope the massage was good!

I hope to do a good time at Bristol, but don't want to drop too much mileage that week. I'll just have the day off before or the Friday and short run on Sat, not sure yet.
  • Options
    Evening all

Well, I decided to have another shot at the 5k on the treadmill - slower pace than wednesday but still managed to do it...

Cycled 13Km - 30 mins
    Running 5km - 36 mins 50 seconds (a full 30 seconds quicker than wednesday)
    Rowing 5km - 30 mins
    Weights - legs and upper arms/back - 20 mins

Felt a bit tired afterwards but in that glowy-I've-done-enough way

:o)
  • Options
    evening all

Sounds like plenty enough to me Hilly - time to start winding down the mileage.

what: back to the old standard routine - 4 x 1 mile off 1/3rd mile jog recoveries.

why: 5K next Wednesday

last hard day: Wed
    last rest day: Thu

Still not quite recovered from Wednesday I don't think. Did all bar the first mile (5:52) in 5:50 or less, but last recovery jog drifted out to just under 2:50. Legs felt quite tired by the finish.

Also wasn't helped by some female hecklers. I do 2 laps of a 2 and 1/3rd mile course, with the recovery jog after the 2nd mile being a 1/3rd mile loop round the block where I live. On my first mile, coming along Hoylake promenade, got heckled by 3 teenage girls sitting in a shelter which occupies half the width of the pavement. Just the usual "run Forrest" cr*p so ignored it.
    Had a feeling it would happen again though when I came through on my third effort, and sure enough it did - as soon as they saw me in the distance. Trouble was, this time as I approached, they got up and walked across the (narrowed part of the)pavement as if they were going to block the way.
    The only thing I could think of doing quickly, to ensure I had a clear run through, was to spit ahead of me to deter them - this worked - but unfortunately it landed quite close to the most vocal of the hecklers. Could hear a gradually fading torrent of anatomically graphic abuse behind me as I passed by and continued on my less than merry way.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That might teach them Mike to leave people alone to continue with their business and stop being a nuisance!
  • Options
    Evening,

Well done on your long run Hilly, those difficult long training runs I think are brilliant for mental training. You've always put a lot of endurance into your marathon training, I think you'll be very well prepared indeed. In your shoes I might even be tempted to cut out your last 20 miler, though I have a feeling you won't! Just thinking back to the stories and articles being swapped on the timing of the last long run for the flm.

Lizzy best of luck for your fell race, can't wait for your report, it sounds nothing if not tough and will doubtlessly be done at a blistering pace compared with my snail-like plod. Last proper fell race I did the organiser shouted" remember, the pain you feel is your own, it is self-inflicted and character forming". On that gym-masterish note, good luck!

Good luck the rest of you doing long distances this weekend, and happy hols in Normandy BR, enjoy the cider and pancakes.

Been away in the north lakes for 24 hr, yesterday did a 1.15 hill run (tiny section reccy of BG, in truth) which had my quads squealing, I'm nowhere near properly recovered yet. Teatime walk around Buttermere in sheeting rain. Today, managed to drag three 14 yr olds out for 11 mile walk around Mosedale/Crummock water. Obviously this signifies a greater achievement than any amount of fell running!

Have a good weekend all.